iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 28, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #376 of 13,503
I enjoy reading these thread :)

But beware of those music apps for Android. Usually the Androids kernel only does the 16/44 stuff. Everything that comes from any usual Android player is 16/44. I am not sure but, even if poweramp plays the high resolution files, it might convert it to 16/44 during playback. I think the only music-app that will do it correctly is the original provided by iBasso.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #377 of 13,503

Quote:

But beware of those music apps for Android. Usually the Androids kernel only does the 16/44 stuff. Everything that comes from any usual Android player is 16/44. I am not sure but, even if poweramp plays the high resolution files, it might convert it to 16/44 during playback. I think the only music-app that will do it correctly is the original provided by iBasso.

Well while I do like how Power Amp runs (much smoother than the stock firmware) I still prefer the sound on the stock firmware :frowning2:.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #382 of 13,503
Lee, did you get your O2 from Epiphany Acoustics?  On another review on the O2, they compare the O2 to the Pico amp and ALO's RXII and says that its hard to tell the difference between the amps.  The comment was suppose to be a compliment on the O2 as the other amps were double the cost of the O2.  As then we have Scooter who thinks the O2 is comparable to the B22.  Can we have some sanity here.  I am not disputing these claims as I have not heard the O2.  But if these claims are even 90% within reason, we should just forget all the other amps and go for the O2.  By the way, I think the SR71b and PB2 in balance mode sound better than the Pico and RXII.  But Scooter thinks the O2 squashed the PB2.  How do we read these impressions?

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #383 of 13,503

Quote:

Since I don't have a DX100 yet I can't comment on the android app, but with my Samsung (android) Galaxy 4G the neutron app will play bit for bit; i.e.: AIIF 1536KBPS, 48000KHZ, 24bit. assuming poweramp has the same capabilities it should be the same. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #384 of 13,503

Quote:
Lee, did you get your O2 from Epiphany Acoustics?  On another review on the O2, they compare the O2 to the Pico amp and ALO's RXII and says that its hard to tell the difference between the amps.  The comment was suppose to be a compliment on the O2 as the other amps were double the cost of the O2.  As then we have Scooter who thinks the O2 is comparable to the B22.  Can we have some sanity here.  I am not disputing these claims as I have not heard the O2.  But if these claims are even 90% within reason, we should just forget all the other amps and go for the O2.  By the way, I think the SR71b and PB2 in balance mode sound better than the Pico and RXII.  But Scooter thinks the O2 squashed the PB2.  How do we read these impressions?

Jalo, if you look at the Lee's pics, in the portable thread ,its from Jdslabs.com

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #385 of 13,503

Quote:

I got my unit from JDS Labs which is located here in the USA. Same design but different exterior design. Well I can tell you that I find this amp superior to the Fiio E9 amp and that is a desktop amp so its really good. It does have it quirks though. If they could improve on the volume pot and come up with a digital potentiometer this amp would destroy. It does have slight channel imbalance at very low volume so for very sensitive IEMs depending on what source you are feeding it, can be an issue. But generally this isn't a problem though. It pairs very well with my full size cans. There is no hiss even with my sensitive IEMs. Its actually smaller than I anticipated and I can very well see this thing destroying much more expensive set ups.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #386 of 13,503

Quote:
Can you describe their SQ? And can you rank them from bottom to top?

I found Power Amp to not be as engaging. Seemed to lack dynamics in comparison to the stock firmware (duller?). Neutron runs a bit slow on the player at times. It sounds a bit more congested and thicker sounding. The Stock firmware is more open and lively. Each program does have it own EQ features BTW and doesn't use the standard EQ on the device.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #387 of 13,503
Here's my executive summary.

LCD3s do not sound substantially different with O2 vs. straight out of the DX100, with the DX100.  
HD800s sound bigger and more engaging, less thin, with the O2 on board, vs. straight out of the DX100.
It is a good idea to turn the O2 to full and then set the volume on the DX100.
LCD3s sound substantially nicer overall - HD800s should only be used if weight is an extreme concern or if you have a massive desktop setup (and even then, the LCD3s sound better on said setup).  

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #388 of 13,503
I really like the Poweramp ap and hope iBasso can implement some of the ideas from it. 

edit: I finally got the No Lock from market after I went closer to my wireless. Thank Ron, it works great and all I have to do is push the on off button now on the side rather than playing with the locked screen.It is a free download and works excellent. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #390 of 13,503

Quote:
I agree on the overall design of it. It doesn't sound exactly the same IMO though...

Well I think the volume of the PowerAmp needs to be turned up all the way. I don't hear a lot of difference but will compare more. I have a jazz recording with a very subtle whirring sound from the tape recorder that can only be heard on resolving systems and I hear it equally on the stock system and PA. As far as other tonality, I have to listen more but I also hear pretty much equal decay and cymbal sound, is equally good. The EQ, which I don't use, of the Poweramp can really move the frequency response around, very effective if you need it. 

One thing Poweramp doesn't do is play 24/192 but it will play 24/96. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back