IBasso DC-Elite . . . The no compromise DAC/AMP with a true Stepped Attenuator
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #181 of 411
Coax connection for the plug.
image-2.png

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #182 of 411
So this will play high res lossless audio through my iPhone on the native music app or Qobuz? Want to make sure I’m following.

Presently have the DX300, this might be a nice addition. The DX300 is only used at home, this would be nice for portability.

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #185 of 411
As an earlier owner experienced, I can't seem to get the android app to recognize the DC Elite when connected to the phone. I've disabled USB debugging in developer options, as well as tried a couple different apk downloads of the app... Anyone have further suggestions? Thanks!

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #186 of 411
As an earlier owner experienced, I can't seem to get the android app to recognize the DC Elite when connected to the phone. I've disabled USB debugging in developer options, as well as tried a couple different apk downloads of the app... Anyone have further suggestions? Thanks!
For me I was expecting similar issues. I then deleted everything. Started fresh, downloaded and installed the latest on from their website and it worked instantly… not sure why. Hope that helps.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #188 of 411
Ah, yep, that's got it... thanks!

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #192 of 411
I just received one of these today. It sounds great but I'd say its too loud for IEM's. I haven't tried my Shure se846 yet but the Moondrop Variations only needs three clicks of volume with the max digital attenuation.

Not sure if its possible to add more digital attenuation via a F/W update perhaps?

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #193 of 411
I just checked the Moondrop Variations is a very sensitive IEM, but its fine with a Sony NW-WM1AM2 and a L&P W4 and Mojo 2 plenty of volume range at the low end.

Variations:
Sensitivity: 118dB/Vrms @1kHz
Impedance: 15.2Ω @1kHz ±15%

I could switch to the 3.5mm output but apparently I'll get more soundstage and other goodness from the balanced output so I'm sticking with the 4.4mm for now.

I'm listening now on the second volume click and its loud enough for general listening, i.e. not ear damaging volumes and I'd be comfortable listening for 6-8 hours at this level.

Do I have an issue with my Elite or can anyone else confirm this? @twister6 quotes listening at 10 o'clock 1 o'clock in his review, not sure what this means, perhaps a better way to describe volume level would be number of clicks from 0 , Twister could you please check how many clicks 10 o'clock is please?

I've had a recent conversation with a member here on Head-Fi who sold a 118db sensitivity IEM because it was "too sensitive to use with their sources" isn't this the wrong way of looking at things? I get people want to be able to drive power hungry headphones, loud, but surely a dongle is mainly aimed at portable applications and don't most Head-Fier's use sensitive IEM's and portable wired headphones for portable applications. Volume-wise this thing seems to me to be like driving to the shops in a supercar, yes it gets the job done but does it need to be so powerful.

I'm on six clicks up from 0 on my Focal Stellia too 106dB quoted sensitivity.

Don't get me wrong for critical listening for short periods I'll listen louder, but I doubt I'd go over 50% volume at all with the Focal.

I can't be the only person who has an issue with this and no I'm not selling all my IEM's and Headphones except for my Tin Hifi P1 (95dB / 20 ohms) for a dongle DAC however good it is, I'll sell the Elite first.

All of this could be fixed with a useable high/low gain but then I suppose we lose the advantage of having an analogue volume control in the first place, in the digital domain no volume adjustment should occur for best https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SINAD I get that. I've set 0dB PCM volume reduction as even at -2dB for me it makes very little difference.

For now I'll live with it but any issues with the volume pot at the two-three click setting and I'm screwed.

Rant over.

P.S. Picture for illustration purposes only.

IMG_0463.jpg

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #194 of 411
I just checked the Moondrop Variations is a very sensitive IEM, but its fine with a Sony NW-WM1AM2 and a L&P W4 and Mojo 2 plenty of volume range at the low end.

Variations:
Sensitivity: 118dB/Vrms @1kHz
Impedance: 15.2Ω @1kHz ±15%

I could switch to the 3.5mm output but apparently I'll get more soundstage and other goodness from the balanced output so I'm sticking with the 4.4mm for now.

I'm listening now on the second volume click and its loud enough for general listening, i.e. not ear damaging volumes and I'd be comfortable listening for 6-8 hours at this level.

Do I have an issue with my Elite or can anyone else confirm this? @twister6 quotes listening at 10 o'clock 1 o'clock in his review, not sure what this means, perhaps a better way to describe volume level would be number of clicks from 0 , Twister could you please check how many clicks 10 o'clock is please?

I've had a recent conversation with a member here on Head-Fi who sold a 118db sensitivity IEM because it was "too sensitive to use with their sources" isn't this the wrong way of looking at things? I get people want to be able to drive power hungry headphones, loud, but surely a dongle is mainly aimed at portable applications and don't most Head-Fier's use sensitive IEM's and portable wired headphones for portable applications. Volume-wise this thing seems to me to be like driving to the shops in a supercar, yes it gets the job done but does it need to be so powerful.

I'm on six clicks up from 0 on my Focal Stellia too 106dB quoted sensitivity.

Don't get me wrong for critical listening for short periods I'll listen louder, but I doubt I'd go over 50% volume at all with the Focal.

I can't be the only person who has an issue with this and no I'm not selling all my IEM's and Headphones except for my Tin Hifi P1 (95dB / 20 ohms) for a dongle DAC however good it is, I'll sell the Elite first.

All of this could be fixed with a useable high/low gain but then I suppose we lose the advantage of having an analogue volume control in the first place, in the digital domain no volume adjustment should occur for best https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SINAD I get that. I've set 0dB PCM volume reduction as even at -2dB for me it makes very little difference.

For now I'll live with it but any issues with the volume pot at the two-three click setting and I'm screwed.

Rant over.

P.S. Picture for illustration purposes only.

IMG_0463.jpg
Interesting observations here. I’m considering getting one to drive my Mezzo LE and Singularity for hi res Audirvana playback. I wonder what you might get from a different cable, or adapter, for the Variations (not that you should have to replace it) to see if a change in load impedance might change things.

Mar 3, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #195 of 411
Interesting observations here. I’m considering getting one to drive my Mezzo LE and Singularity for hi res Audirvana playback. I wonder what you might get from a different cable, or adapter, for the Variations (not that you should have to replace it) to see if a change in load impedance might change things.
Thank you for your reply. The Mezzo is spec'd at 108dB for 1mW so a little bit less sensitive, you may have a little more adjustment range at the low volume end.

I can't find the actual sensitivity number for the Singularity but reviews say its easy to drive.

What I'm really asking for is some input from someone who does use the Elite with IEM's on the more sensitive side, I did have a quick look through the 12 previous pages and didn't find anyone else saying five clicks of volume is already getting very loud.

Don't be frightened to chip in people, I'd really appreciate your input on what IEM you use and volume level clicks. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back