ibasso D4 mamba or leckerton uha-4
Apr 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nyjets28

1000+ Head-Fier
i've been looking into getting a portable amp that could also be used as a dac for my laptop when i need. i know there's a lot of good things about the uha-4 that i've read - and it seems to be popular choice right now (or maybe it has been - i just haven't been paying much attention to it). but after a readthrough of Skylab's portable amps reviews and seeing how high up he ranks the D4, now my options are between the UHA-4 and the D4 - they're both highly regarded and are right around the same price. the one thing i dislike about the D4 is the short battery life and the fact that it's not rechargeable (i guess you can always just use rechargebale 9Vs) but other than that i was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into how these two dac/amps compare. 

thanks!

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 7
myarroyo has answered your prayers in the main UHA-4 thread. Go to the last page and you should see his post.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536982/leckerton-audio-slimline-uha-4/255

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 7
I had a D4 and it sounds great but I sold it because of the battery hassle. Last time I looked into iBasso's lineup I found something similar with a rechargeable battery.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I had a D4 and it sounds great but I sold it because of the battery hassle. Last time I looked into iBasso's lineup I found something similar with a rechargeable battery.

Hey I know this is a very old post but just how bad is the battery life because i am considering getting the d4.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't remember but if you use it as an amp the store-bought 9 volt will need to be replaced fairly often.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 7
mrarroyo is correct - with regular use, I was replacing a 9 volt every week.  Dont know what the economics of buying a charger are, but that would be my tip for anyone hellbent on the D4, SR71A or similar. The newer amps are a much better design, IMO, although there was always comfort knowing that you could be at an airport or wherever and buy a couple of 9-volts for the flight. Nothing more frustrating than seeing every single wallcharger occupied by someone charging their $%$#! phone .............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back