iBasso D4 driving dt800 250 ohms ?
Jan 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ouvreboite

New Head-Fier
For a few weeks, I'm looking for a new headphone and my choice is now clear : a dt880. And so, i'll need an amp.

What will i use my 880 for ?
1) PC (games/musics/movies) >> x-fi titanium >> amp >> dt880 (most of the time)
2) xbox360 (games) >> mixamp >> amp >> dt880
3) zune HD >> amp >> dt880 (for few "in garden or in bed listenning")

My budget : 250$

As you can see, i'll need a portable amp, even for few utilisations (there is nothing to argue there
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I've spent the two past weeks jumping from reviews to "how to amp 880?" thread (including skylab's ones) and the only decent portable amp fitting with the 880 and my specifications seems to be the ibasso D4.

But I know that the Beyer are difficult to drive and some doubts remains.

So, do you think, it will be ok? Or do I have to sell my other leg (my favorite one btw), to buy a Pico/AE2 or a Hornet ?

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 5
I've ordered one myself. A few head-fi'ers say that when you have a 9v battery in it (rather than getting the 5v from USB), it'll provide the extra juice to drive harder cans. I can't say specifically of the 880, I would assume it would be fine, but take that with a grain of salt. I'm planning to get the D7000 and the D4 fits since I plan to take it around with me with my iPod.

From what I've read, the D4 seems pretty versatile and could do very well in your situation, but it will of course not match the power and extra "omph" of the bigger amps.

Someone else here should be able to comment about your situation better than me.

Have you considered getting a desktop amp and getting a cheaper portable amp solution?

BTW, the DT880 seems to be regarded as a fine headphone (comfort and gaming cans). I hope it's the one!

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Bumping because I have the same question. Did anyone try this? I've confirmed that the USB 5V is totally under-powering DT880 (heavily distorted) but I didn't have a good brand/ fully charged battery at the time of testing.

If anyone is doing this setup, how long does your D4's battery last? Will it go distorted pretty fast due to the battery not delivering a full 9V? Thanks for the input.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Rechargeables are not the best choice for difficult situations, as they have a much lower mah rating than alkalines and will not provide a very long playtime.   For demanding applications, using an LMH6643  in the L/R socket with dummy buffers will often provide a good boost in horsepower when paired with an alkaline 9v cell. 

Quote:
Bumping because I have the same question. Did anyone try this? I've confirmed that the USB 5V is totally under-powering DT880 (heavily distorted) but I didn't have a good brand/ fully charged battery at the time of testing.

If anyone is doing this setup, how long does your D4's battery last? Will it go distorted pretty fast due to the battery not delivering a full 9V? Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back