iBasso D10 VS $165 soundcard; hard to choose.
Sep 23, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 25
My 14 days iBasso return expires soon, so I'd like to end up with a decision quickly!

Portability is not so important to me (won't use it with iPods and such, but small size matter, something big like the Compass would be a problem, but I can deal with it). In fact, having to constantly charge the battery even though it's always powered by USB is really, really annoying. Is that even normal? Is there any solution...

I've read some of your posts qusp and, apparently, the DAC part of the D10 would match something like the Compass? So why bother with something that big if the D10 provides enough AMP power for the HD595? I'm right?

So the "2228/8201" would be the way to go?

Last but not least, what the heck is that hole in my volume knob?
confused_face_2.gif
(see attachment).

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #17 of 25
I'm pretty sure the whole on the knob is where the screw goes in to keep it in place.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by B0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 14 days iBasso return expires soon, so I'd like to end up with a decision quickly!

Portability is not so important to me (won't use it with iPods and such, but small size matter, something big like the Compass would be a problem, but I can deal with it). In fact, having to constantly charge the battery even though it's always powered by USB is really, really annoying. Is that even normal? Is there any solution...

I've read some of your posts qusp and, apparently, the DAC part of the D10 would match something like the Compass? So why bother with something that big if the D10 provides enough AMP power for the HD595? I'm right?

So the "2228/8201" would be the way to go?

Last but not least, what the heck is that hole in my volume knob?
confused_face_2.gif
(see attachment).

if portability is not an issue (forever basically) then definitely go for a desktop amp, as it will power more power hungry headphones if you ever decide to upgrade.

but convenience wise i'd stick with the D10 especially having the option of changing the op amps and the multiple inputs, you can always use it as a dac for optical and coaxial. so even if you upgrade to a portable amp it's still useful...

well you can turn the charging off and let the battery run down and to charge it just flip the switch to on for a few hours.... tho it wouldn't make a difference since ur only using it for desktop, who cares if the battery only has 10 hour life after 2-3 years...

i'm not sure how 595s would go with the 2228/8201, as i've sold mine ages ago and only have the D2000 which sounds pretty good... i would pm Hiflight and ask, he's really friendly and will give a good recommendation...

as for the hole, it's the screw (my knob's already fallen off once) you just use the screw tool provided to screw it back in... (feels weird saying screw all the time lol)

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 25
There is no hole in my volume knob, it is just held in place by tension and can be pulled of

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by B0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I understand correctly... that hole is normal and the screw in it is just too small to fill it? That's quite ugly... Or did my screw has fallen?

Alright, I'll keep it! And soon PM Hiflight. I won't upgrade my headphones before a while, so...

Thanks a lot everyone.

yes the hole is normal
no there's a screw inside, it's a different size, if it's not falling out it means ur screw is still inside lol... you can try turn it with the screwing tool.. it'll b inside

btw i got my 2141/8210, so much better then the 2228s i was using before, but the highs seems to be pushed forward a bit

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no hole in my volume knob, it is just held in place by tension and can be pulled of

i guess they changed it to screw so in the case that it falls out by itself, you can just screw it back in and it's as good as new

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #24 of 25
yeah I got my Dq10 back from RMA service with new optical jack, new minijacks, new volume knob (with screw) and new muse caps (these are now replaced with blackgates, but still a very nice thought) basically they upgraded my D10 to the new spec; great service!! the set-screw is a very common way of attaching knobs
wink.gif
I like the new knob better than the old 'glued on' one; I have no idea what you think is ugly about it
confused.gif
they changed the knobs on their hole range, I would say that because of the large percentage of ibasso and in particular D10 users that are tweakers, the glue was becoming a bit weak (I know mine was) so they changed it to the superior one they have now. some more expensive custom designed knobs are attached in a seamless way, but tghis is rare and expensive for a portable amp, I would prefer to pay a little less than to pay more for a knob with no screw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back