iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Sep 7, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #4,067 of 4,153
Thanks, learned a lot reading these post. Right now there is D10 with topkit for 220 about 500 hours used. Using the D10 as a Dac will it be a huge improvement compare to the onboard sound card? Right now I'm trying to decide if I should buy D10 or wait and see if there are T3 on sale. I do prefer it being more portable.

$220 for used D10 with topkit good deal? I recently bought a 1500 computer so money is tight.
Also what LOD would you recommend?

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #4,068 of 4,153

Quote:
Thanks, learned a lot reading these post. Right now there is D10 with topkit for 220 about 500 hours used. Using the D10 as a Dac will it be a huge improvement compare to the onboard sound card? Right now I'm trying to decide if I should buy D10 or wait and see if there are T3 on sale. I do prefer it being more portable.

$220 for used D10 with topkit good deal? I recently bought a 1500 computer so money is tight.
Also what LOD would you recommend?

I think that is a good deal, I'm guessing you'd spend $350 or more for one new shipped including a HiFlight topkit.  The DAC alone is pretty darn close to the Headroom Micro DAC that I have which costs a lot more.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #4,069 of 4,153
Is it hard installing the topkit? This will be my first amp, I don't know anything about changing parts.

Not having the original opamp going be a problem? What are they used for? Will the stock one sound good? If I was to buy a used top kit, do I need some of the original opamp parts?

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #4,070 of 4,153

Quote:
Is it hard installing the topkit? This will be my first amp, I don't know anything about changing parts.

Not having the original opamp going be a problem? What are they used for? Will the stock one sound good? If I was to buy a used top kit, do I need some of the original opamp parts?

The stock op-sounds good, I would suggest that if you buy the D10 new you use it for a while to learn its sound signature. Burn-in is IMO important and you should log a good 250-300 hours of burn-in before doing any extensive comparison. As far as replacing the op-amps it is fairly simple, enclosed you will find a picture of the top of the board with the op-amps. Basically you pay attention to the number 1 pin (square "dot") you  pull it  up and in its place goes the replacement (same orientation of the number 1 pin).

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #4,072 of 4,153

Quote:
Thank you. Right now I'm trying to decide which d10 to buy.

Buying a used D10 I'm worried that the battery wont hold charge. Is there a way I can get replacement battery and is it expensive?

The D10's really haven't been around long enough for you to worry about a trashed battery (unless someone really abused it).  With that said, ibasso has stated that a replacement battery can be purchased from them while they have them available.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #4,074 of 4,153

Quote:
For almost a year the D10 was #1 on my list in my big DAC/amp review thread, moved down by the D4 with upgraded opamps.  But, with my TF10 I think the D10 sounds a little more balanced, warm and smooth.  The best amp for most IEM may not be the best with ALL IEM, because some amps pair with some IEM better.  We call it synergy.

The stock D10 sounds just like an RSA Predator but with a more detailed and spacious DAC.  This pairs well with the TF10 which work well with the more forward mds and smooth highs of this amp.  With upgraded opamps from HiFlgiht the D10 sounds like a cross between the Predator and the P-51, and it's even better in that it's more open and spacious sounding without becoming recessed.  The D4 with stock opamps sounds like a cross between a Predator and Pico, and the TF10 sound a little more recessed in the mids and bright in the highs.  But with upgraded opamps from HiFlight it sounds just like a P-51 clone, but this still didn't sound best with the TF10, although it is best with most of my other IEM.  I guess I forgot to mention that the TF10 are not my favorite IEM, and I think they are more picky about what amp I pair them with.

I would use an LOD with the Touch to feed the D10.  My daughter's 2G Touch's headphone amp sounded a little bright and grainy driving IEM, but the line out dock is not bad sounding with a good amp.  If you don't mind giving up a little detail and performance, the T3 is also a good match for the TF10.  At first I thought it sounded a little too forward, but I grew to like it.  Not as much as the D10 though.

Sorry for quoting old post!

I just picked up a used D10...(without audition beforehand)
Good to hear that it has better synergy with TF10 than D4 which i almost wanted to buy!
With TF10, it really brought out the sound I was looking forward to after getting my TF10! (Poor DAP and sound card)
Even those older recording like air supply, it really given it a new life to it, something I never heard before! (Sorry for the excitement!)

I thought of trying to play with the OPAMPs because even i am enjoying the stock sound but i find that i wish that there could have wider soundstage! I will hope there will be SQ or Sound Sig improvement!
But I not very sure which OPAMP to select as I have no benchmark to compare with the stock chips!

I am currently using it as a USB DAC/AMP through my laptop with lossless file but the previous owner never make use of dac before.

Hope you, TS or anyone else can give me some tips! A newbie to the audio scene!

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #4,076 of 4,153

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyex99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry for quoting old post!

I just picked up a used D10...(without audition beforehand)
Good to hear that it has better synergy with TF10 than D4 which i almost wanted to buy!
With TF10, it really brought out the sound I was looking forward to after getting my TF10! (Poor DAP and sound card)
Even those older recording like air supply, it really given it a new life to it, something I never heard before! (Sorry for the excitement!)

I thought of trying to play with the OPAMPs because even i am enjoying the stock sound but i find that i wish that there could have wider soundstage! I will hope there will be SQ or Sound Sig improvement!
But I not very sure which OPAMP to select as I have no benchmark to compare with the stock chips!

I am currently using it as a USB DAC/AMP through my laptop with lossless file but the previous owner never make use of dac before.

Hope you, TS or anyone else can give me some tips! A newbie to the audio scene!

Thanks!

I bought my opamps from HiFlight here on head-fi.  I think I am using the TLE2141 class-A biased opamps with EL8201 buffers.  This still works well with TF10Pro while offering a more open soundstage.  I have not felt a need to go back to the stock opamps since the upgrade.

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #4,077 of 4,153
Picked up an iriver h120 today on amazon. He says in perfect condition, about 50 hours on it. Now to buy an optical cable!!

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #4,078 of 4,153

Quote:
Picked up an iriver h120 today on amazon. He says in perfect condition, about 50 hours on it. Now to buy an optical cable!!

I think I saw that one....congrats!  There's no doubt there are less available than there used to be.  The H140's are really getting hard to find.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #4,079 of 4,153
I was going buy d10 for 220. But he stop responding, someone pm me about my wtb thread and I just bought t3. Will this work well with my tf-10? or will I be looking to upgrade soon? I will be using custom tf-10 with t3/lod from fiio and ipod touch.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #4,080 of 4,153
Does anyone tried to replace the main DAC, with Wolfson WM8742 ? 

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8742/

The WM8742 is available in a convenient 28-SSOP package, and is pin compatible with the WM8740 and WM8741.

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back