iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Apr 22, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #3,946 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by yehgermeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just bought a ibasso d10. i am using it with denon 2000s connected to a mbp via a toslink to optical mini cable. for lack of a better word and description, everything sounds, scratchy and grainy (listening to kid a). i'm basing this off of having having this only for a few hours, they're probably not burnt in completely (bought these used, but barely used according to seller) but everything sound better with just the headphones themselves. any ideas? i'm still not sure completely how the ibasso d10 works. any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is your source? Are you using the optical dac or line it? What opamps?

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #3,947 of 4,153
i'm using itunes on my mbp listening to mostly 320kbps mp3s and flac. Oddly enough, the mp3 version of Kid A doesn't sound as bad compared to the flac version. i guess i'm using the optical dac because i have the toslink to optical mini connected to the optical port in the back of the d10 and the other end into the headphone/optical audio out port.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #3,948 of 4,153
anyone know if there are still any black gates available out there? and where to get them? i'd like to try the mod on mine, anything to squeeze that last ounce of juice out of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #3,949 of 4,153
Google for Black Gate Capacitors. There are a few out there.

May 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #3,951 of 4,153
BG NX or N for the mod and dont even think of buying them from ebay. they are running out at even legitimate shops (they arent made anymore), ebay is going to rip you off for sure. actually someone needs to publish a replacement mod for the BG mod, most values are drying up and if people try to hget them on ebay and some other sites, they will be sold fakes, no question about it.

May 11, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #3,952 of 4,153
There aren't any real replacements for BG's. There are good caps though and maybe bypassed with some of the good SMD films, excellent performance can be obtained. There for sure aren't any nonpolar caps like the BG's. 

May 12, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #3,953 of 4,153
ok, well looks like its got to be me then, since I have a pretty large collection of SMD films at the moment and also there is a new silk cap by Nichicon that could be just the ticket if bypassed by PPS

May 12, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #3,954 of 4,153
I look forward to what you find out. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #3,955 of 4,153
I just bought the MAD-D10 (Mini Audio D10) China distribution version of iBasso D10, and it just sounds spectacular!

I'm curious.. is op-amp rolling/changing recommended for a newbie like me? I know a bit or two about circuity but I'm afraid I'll break something trying to change the op-amps. I stumbled on Head-Fi 2 weeks ago and I went ahead in buying a DAC/AMP and I haven't regret it (THANK YOU Head-Fi!).

By the way! I'm using a MacBook Pro > D10 > Westone 3's!

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #3,956 of 4,153
Just read up on the op amps some and you shouldn't have any problems. There is a lot of advice in this thread though I will admit there are a lot of pages here. The kit by HiFlight is a nice addition to the D10. Welcome and have a great time. I would get used to the sound as is but it is always nice to have options. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #3,957 of 4,153
I would definitely recommend HiFlight's latest topkit as well. Like you, I joined Head-Fi somewhat recently and D10 has been my first DAC/Amp. The topkit represented a huge improvement for me over stock D10 and I easily recommend it as a great value (using Sennheiser IE8s).

I was also worried about messing with the op amps but they are true plug and play (similar to swapping cpu or memory sticks). HiFlight includes simple directions with the kit as well. I posted detailed impressions of my D10 with and without the topkit in the IE8 appreciation thread. I also posted a bunch of pics of changing the op amps. Just do an advanced searched on that thread and search for posts by me.

Grats on your D10. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Also, welcome to Head-Fi.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #3,958 of 4,153
Just got my D10.  Great delivery quickness from the iBasso crew.  Nice.

I took the tuning advice from some of the early, early posts.  Ended up with the
ADA4841 for the L/R and the AD8656's as the buffers... [ edit follows... ]

Got my optical hooked up, and retested.  Even before that, I was starting to
backtrack on the ADA4841.  I believe the ADA4841 produces the best mid-range,
but at the expense of the bass and high treble.  So it tends to be the most "nasal",
but again, the nice midrange was what I was responding to earlier.  A fresh listen this
morning made me reconsider the ADA4841.

So best two combos, from my testing were: 1) 8532+8656+8656 and
2) 8656+NUL+NUL.  #1 is more forward on the high treble, #2 is more laid back.
Through the optical, I'd say both are very good.  #1 is a bit hot, but the dynamics
and the push on the top make it my first choice.

Primary test material: Yellowjackets, "Blue Hats", and Sennheiser HD 530 II phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back