iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Apr 7, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #3,931 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by pounce /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone out there have a laptop as their main workstation at work in a dock? How many people think there should be a switch you need to maintain for the battery?

Is there some benefit from not operating on USB when using USB? I will find out.

Yep.

I remove the battery from my 15 inch MacBook Pro when at home.

Why cook it! As much from local heat as from self created charging energy.

I like the D10 charging switch. It gives me choice, control and allows me to check it with lights off.

Pilots deal with many switches so they know the status and have control of many parameters. You may like things differently like a 'just fly' button. Maybe the pianola was made for your ancestors!

If you don't like it - go buy a boostaroo - Only one switch there!

Regards

Sceptre

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #3,932 of 4,153
hehe, no i'm not sure you do, if you can explain an alternative for how they can include a mechanism that somehow knows when you want it on charge and when you dont, then perhaps this would make sense; (you havent presented one). I dont see a better way of allowing the user to choose when he/she wants it on charge and when he/she doesnt.

these are often used with laptops, in fact I would say a pretty large percentage use them in this manner, this means that if charging was always on, the laptop battery would be drained significantly faster for no good reason if there is charge in the D10 battery.

also the SQ is also superior on battery than USB power, there is more current available from the battery allowing wider choice of opamps (no matter what is done with DC-DC convertors and buck-boost chips, the power must come from somewhere) and then there is the matter of unwanted charge cycling of the battery cells.

lastly spdif doesnt provide any power, so those wanting to use the DAC with devices other than USB (like myself) need a power source, so USB power only isnt an option and anyway there are other devices if thats what you want. like the uDAC, apogee duet or even the new apogee ONE

now if you are volunteering to program a uC that provides all this functionality automatically, i'm sure iBasso would be very interested to hear from you. as would the good people at texas instruments

'maintain the the mechanism'
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Is there some benefit from not operating on USB when using USB? I will find out.

yes, you arent using USB power USB is a notoriously dirty and noisy power source, numerous devices have been invented solely to get around this by isolating the device under power from the 'host'; such as 'USB isolators' and provide this by means of a small transformer to isolate the signal and then provide a means of powering the device directly with clean power. there is all manner of switching noise and ground contamination riding on the USB power, less with laptops, but still not insignificant (desktops however are a nightmare in this regard)

USB provides at most 5vdc, IMO not quite enough to power a DAC and reasonable amp section, especially one that has been designed to allow opamp rolling, the number of chips available given a common mode voltage of 5v point to point is vanishingly small and not much of quality among that small number.

the reasons are many and I cannot think of a mor elegant solution than the switch that is provided; can you?

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #3,933 of 4,153
Wow...that's a lot of thrash over what should be a relatively simple concept. If there is, as qusp mentions, a more elegant solution, then fantastic. As it is, I would think that most solutions would add an incremental cost to the parts, and if you work in an industry that deals with the overall estimated variable costs per unit you'd know that all incremental cost savings really do add up in the long run.

Quote:

ok one too far maybe??

Possibly, but I lol'ed.
atsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #3,934 of 4,153
yeah but I edited it anyway, although possibly I should have edited out everything else and left that part, I had fun with that imagery. couldnt be bothered carrying it on, I suspect trolling, surely its not that difficult a concept to get your head around...really??....
and for the switch to be replaced, it would need some pretty serious AI going on, because the benefit is being able to choose

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #3,935 of 4,153
geez. You guys are over the top. You really do beat a guy up for just trying to chat about something.

Yes, I would prefer that the unit manage power without a switch.

Yes, I would prefer a design that indicated when the battery was fully charged.

Yes, I would prefer a design that would not touch the main battery when using the USB.

Why such a fanboy attitude here guys? I own the product. I'm not "trolling". Can't a person discuss the things they don't like about the product without getting ridiculed?

I didn't get a manual with my purchase. It appears very little documentation is provided by the company anyway.

Lighten up guys. With as many posts as some of you have I would have expected a little more decorum.

I actually don't think a switch is elegant.

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #3,936 of 4,153
For the record, I'm not trying to bash you dude. I'm just saying that realistically I do not see a better solution that would keep cost of parts down. If there is an automatic solution that works, that would be great. IMO, battery gauges are notoriously quirky and, if I remember right, the red charging light switches off when the battery is charged. And I think there have been some valid points brought up in response to your statement about wanting USB power and the advantages to using the battery.

I just come from a retail and inventory background that makes me look at an item and think, "would that be cool?" Lots of times the answer is yes. Then you ask, "will it cost more?" Again, the answer is usually yes. There's a balance in between the two that iBasso is making, and while I can respect that you have some things you'd like improved on, I'm not sure it can feasibly be in scope for an amp/dac of this size and price point.

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #3,937 of 4,153
I did a quick check and there are several USB powered DAC/AMP's out there. The range varies but I've seen ones around $100 up to maybe $400. Most are reviewed on this forum somewhere. It would appear that some companies have figured out how to make the USB power work.

Here is an example of a portable (does not have a battery) USB powered DAC/AMP. I think this is a good example because it also has a wallwart option and the performance between the two is published so we can see the technical differences for this unit.

USB Audio - USB Headphone Amp - USB DAC Headphone Amp - Fireye II USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier

Here is one that is one on the higher end.

CEntrance DACport - high-sampling ready portable USB DAC - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Price point wasn't really what influenced me with purchasing the D10. I really don't know for sure if the design we have was significantly cost motivated or not.

I've never seen any of the lights go out when the device is switched to charge. Might be that over 2 weeks now the unit hasn't reached full charge. I really don't know. Can anyone else confirm if there is an indicator light for full charge? Perhaps my unit is faulty.

I like the unit and think it sounds pretty good with D2000's and IEM's. It really doesn't meet all of my expectations so there is more than likely another purchase in my future.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3,938 of 4,153
Sounds like you're not happy, and that's fine man. Sell the D10 and get something else. No real use in defending your position ad nauseam. You've brought up points, people have brought up counterpoints. I can enjoy my amp and you can enjoy shopping for another...to each their own.

As for the light, at least on mine there's a red light under the switch that glows red when the battery is charging and goes off when (I assume) the battery is charged. Usually I do this when the unit is powered down and not in use.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3,939 of 4,153
It could be that ur d10 is defective because when I have the usb plugged into the d10 the orange led comes on and when I flip the charging switch the red led lights up and when it is done charging the red led turns off. If you have the d10 on, the red led will never turn off.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #3,940 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be that ur d10 is defective because when I have the usb plugged into the d10 the orange led comes on and when I flip the charging switch the red led lights up and when it is done charging the red led turns off.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to plug it into a usb wallwart and leave it turned off and switched to charge and see if i can't get the light to indicate full charge. I have to imagine if I leave it for a day in that charge state and the light is still on then something is wrong and I have to send it back.

Cheers.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #3,944 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As Wikipedia (Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) indicates...

"At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that is full most of the time at 25 °C or 77 °F will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year. However, a battery in a poorly ventilated laptop may be subject to prolonged exposure to higher temperatures, which will shorten its life. Different storage temperatures produce different loss results: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively"

That's a significant difference of irreversible loss when partially charged versus fully charged... only 4% versus 20% at 77 °F.

I'm not willing to move to Alaska -- too many mosquitoes, for one thing -- so I can't keep the temperature low, but I can play with the charge level.

Since I never really need a full charge (except perhaps for a biannual intercontinental flight) it seems as though I would be best served by keeping it around a 50% charge level. That means (almost) never letting it get fully charged, which is the exact opposite of what I and I suspect most other people normally do. I do the same as jamato8 --leave it in charge mode all the time.

In practice, it's not worth it to me to worry about it that much, though. The convenience of leaving it charged all the time outweighs any potential battery life savings.
In other words, ease of (my) life is more important than length of (battery) life. It's the old quality of life versus length of life debate, just in a different format :)

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #3,945 of 4,153
i just bought a ibasso d10. i am using it with denon 2000s connected to a mbp via a toslink to optical mini cable. for lack of a better word and description, everything sounds, scratchy and grainy (listening to kid a). i'm basing this off of having having this only for a few hours, they're probably not burnt in completely (bought these used, but barely used according to seller) but everything sound better with just the headphones themselves. any ideas? i'm still not sure completely how the ibasso d10 works. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back