iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jan 30, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #3,811 of 4,153
I have had the D10 for about 3 weeks now. I bought this as an interim headamp until my income stabilized (had to sell my Phoenix). Having come from the Ref-1 DAC/ Phoenix combo (balanced) to the D10 alone, I have to say that it is not such a leap downward as you would expect. Sure the sound is "smaller" with bit of grain in the mids and highs, less air, less articulate bass, etc. as compared but not too far off. It has improved my TV watching (running optical from my Dish receiver, as wife snores away) and has blown away the sound card in my laptop and made a viable travel sound system. Running the 8656 with bypassed buffers (the 6643 in buffers seems grainier).
Totally impressed.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #3,812 of 4,153
My D10 Capacitor Rolling experience have been crazy!

In the First week, All the different listening session left me in confusion. The sound of the Capacitor before burn in could be different within the same song. One moment it is good and another all bad. Once instance clear and bring another instance muddy and warm. At 24 hours brun in for the cap it is still changing but at 48 hours things seem to settle in a bit, but changes are still happening.

Initial impression after 48 hours of burn in for capacitors

ELNA Silmic 2 -- This is the highest rated cap after Black gates. The sound is fast and neutral. A top contender for the D10

ELNA Silmic -- This is a very good all rounder, but the difference is very small compared to the newer 2, Simlic is warmer than silmic 2 but the overall air of confidence is missing compared to 2 and fro instrument silmic 2 is clearly better.

ELNA Cerafine -- I have the most trouble auditing this Change change change in the first 24 hours. Cerafine have great potential get resolution and warmth at the same time but some grain in the sound. It is getting less grainy as it is burn in at 48 hours it has not settle yet. so let see later.

NichIcon KZ -- Best for string instrument, the texture and air around guitar string never sounded so real on the D10 you could tell if the string are metal or nylon, Vocal is as good as the Silmic 2 and maybe a tat warmer.
Unfortunally KZ series only comes in 25V and above and the only one that can fit is a 47uF 25V. Because of the small capacitance size the deep bass is missing from the sound. The leads of KZ are notably thicker than other capacitors

Nichicon FineGold -- It is a good all rounder but not in the league of cerifine, Silmic or KZ. Neutral and extended.

Nichicon ES Bipolar -- The king of vocal, Super warm and super sweet. After 48 hours it less warm and less sweet, but still much more than the rest. Th best if you ONLY listen to acapalla and or vocal. It is so good that I forgot I am audition cap and just enjoyed the song. Instrument and bass however need to be improved.

Toshin UTSJ -- Warm sounding, as QUSP noted the high are not as clear as the best but for vocal it is sweet and warm. bass is deep and strong as well. Even with a WIMA bypass the high did not open up enough.

Sanyo WG -- Good for sub sonic monster otherwise not an audio capacitor.

Sanyo OSCON SP -- Thin on vocal, bright and clear at the high end. Extended bass. Sounds disappointing.

Panasonic FC -- It has an all rounded sound , but does not excel in any area. Vocal is there but a tat cold. High is there but not extended or sharp.

Nippon chemicon ASF -- Vocal is tat warm and high bright and clear, bass is there but not extended.

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #3,814 of 4,153
Thanks for the description of the sound character of the different caps in the D10.
I will stay with my BGs D10.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just listened to the Pop Pulse PCM1796 DAC over the D10 amp section and compared to the internal DAC. It is not bad. The D10 DAC sounds smoother, piano tones are a bit rounded, soundspace is a bit more compact. In contrast the (unmodified) Pop Pulse is cleaner and more open.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #3,815 of 4,153
The Black gate are on the way to my door. It is to huge to miss

However, It will just be for comparison I would need another 3 week to get every cap to 100 hours, Then I will start burning in the black gates
At 1000hours ~ 40days that would be at least 2 months from now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopQuark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Elna Silmic 2 is what you prefer in this group?

I hope you can compare it against the Black Gates. Some prefer the warmpt of the Silmics.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #3,816 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Black gate are on the way to my door. It is to huge to miss

However, It will just be for comparison I would need another 3 week to get every cap to 100 hours, Then I will start burning in the black gates
At 1000hours ~ 40days that would be at least 2 months from now.

burn in on your hifi system... faster
popcorn.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #3,817 of 4,153
i am wondering if there are still BG caps available for the D10....i ask this knowing that they are not prepared as a kit or anything, but i remember awhile back that stock was getting low on the caps and people were having trouble finding them.

i honestly dont know the values or a seller to get these from so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

even more importantly, if anyone is willing to retrofit my D10 with some BGs i would be forever grateful, and have money to pay as well! shoot me a pm please.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #3,820 of 4,153
Hello there!

New iBasso D10 user here! I'm using it with my new Westone 3's which I happened to receive the same day as the D10
icon10.gif
nice coincidence.

First impressions:

The amp sounds great, looks and feels great too.

Second impressions:

When listening to smooth music or when the sound source is paused and using analog in there is a sound glitch of about 0.5 seconds at a few seconds' interval (irregular intervals between the glitches, from 5 seconds to about 10-15+ seconds) in the left channel. The glitch is very audible with smooth music playback and if I had to describe it it sounds like a small and very short sound clip stretched over half a second, with missing samples in the sound spectrum. The sound glitch is audible even if I switch sources so the problem must be with the D10. It does not do that when I use the DAC through USB.

Pretty weird… I contacted iBasso support regarding this today, I haven't received anything yet (which is still OK). What do you guys think? Is this a common issue with D10's? Are people having other issues with it? What about the iBasso support & replacement policies (shipping, etc…), for those who have dealt with them? There isn't much info on their website apart from the product pages themselves.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #3,822 of 4,153
No, that's not normal. There should be some problem with your interconnect or the contact point at the source. Try and use a different interconnect and check the line out function of D10 as well.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #3,823 of 4,153
I've tried another interconnect already; I used the small ⅛" to ⅛" cable that comes with the iBasso with my MacBook Pro as well as my iBasso interconnect with my iPod.

I just found out the glitch also occurs when nothing is plugged in the line in on the D10. So to recap I only have my W3's plugged in and the glitch is still there…

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #3,825 of 4,153
Nope, tried it at home, at my gf's house and now I'm at school and it still does that. Of course there are some routers in all these places… but I tried it in the bus too and the glitch remains. Honestly if the wireless routers were the problem I'd be in big trouble
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back