iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jul 13, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #2,776 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you want to drop the D10? If I ever drop my D10, means my H140 is falling with it and I'll never let it happen.

No doubt. I dropped one of my H140's on the carpet from around three feet high and I panicked. Fear of breaking stuff that's been discontinued and no longer available is a great motivator for taking care of it.

I ended up talking sweet to it for five minutes so it would forgive me.
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2,778 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt. I dropped one of my H140's on the carpet from around three feet high and I panicked. Fear of breaking stuff that's been discontinued and no longer available is a great motivator for taking care of it.

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think your H140 must be thinking of life insurance at that point of time.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #2,779 of 4,153
OK, I couldn't avoid this thread anymore since it keeps bumping up.
tongue.gif

I bit the bullet and finally caught the few seconds of the day when the iBasso site is running and ordered the D10.

Currently I'm using a Leckerton UHA-3 at work with my Super.Fi 5EB's. I've been wanting an upgrade for a bit so I've been looking at this and possibly the Predator but wasn't sure if I wanted to pay the extra $$ just yet.

I will also use this with my 325i's and my HF2's on order. I listen to mostly new-soul, R&B, jazz, adult contemporary (Julia Fordham, Norah Jones, etc), latin, and acoustic guitar. I love the warm, tube sound of my Antique Sound Labs AV25's and I'm looking to get close to it on the D10.

Some questions:

1) I've seen various mentions of different combos of op amps/buffers. What's the recommendation for a warm, tube-like sound, mostly for the Grado pairing? I do understand there will be some burn-in before I really start to roll but I'm asking out of curiosity.
2) I've seen HiFlight's name and posts all over. Does he have a combo for a warm sound?
3) Does HiFlight have a posting w/ Topkit suggestions and their signatures? I've seen posts identifying individual parts and their sound but didn't see anything on any specific kind of Topkit.

Thanks to all for making me spend more money...
beyersmile.png

BTW, the goal for me would be to get the right balance of improving my UHA-3 experience and Little Dot I+. Then I can sell both to justify this D10.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #2,780 of 4,153
Quote:

tongue.gif

Don't forget to kiss it where on its boo-boo

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #2,781 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think your H140 must be thinking of life insurance at that point of time.

The best life insurance it has now is it's iskin, a spare battery in the fridge, and it's three siblings that also live in my house (2 x H160's and an H130).

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #2,782 of 4,153
Insurance I have is 4 H140's, 4 H120's (the guts go right into the 140 shell and a 120 for parts. Batteries and HD's in reserve. I am set. :^)

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #2,783 of 4,153
Today, I've had a new sonic treat to listen to at work: my favorite music using the D10 with the following Topkit installed: OPA350 (CA) / EL8201 buffers. Using my favorite phones at work, Yuin PK1, the fullness of the sound (a really rich, satisfying spectral balance and full, lush, lifelike timbres, textures and spatial cues) is the best I've heard so far with the various Topkits: (AD743/AD8616), (AD743(CA)/AD8616), (AD744(OBCA)/EL8201), and today (OPA350(CA)/EL8201). The sound is rich in warm, lush detail. Tracks which can come across as overly bright have the glare removed so that the warm richness, as well as the lovely highs under the glare, can be heard better and more fully relaxed into and enjoyed without distraction or being obscured beneath the glare.

This sound at work reminds me most of the warm, rich, lush sound I get at home, and with work-friendly PK1 buds. There's been no need to switch to the SE530 for a super-immersive, "WOW!!!" listening experience. With the more comfortable PK1, I'm getting the WOW!!! factor in abundance.

I need to try the D10 with this Topkit installed with my full-sized phones when I get home: ALO-modded SR225 and HD650.

A little catch-up:
The AD743(CA) with AD8616 buffers has a slightly higher low-level exhale (with SE530) than the AD744(OBCA)/EL8201 - but, I have to listen for it to hear it. Otherwise, I don't notice it. Plenty of immersive WOW!!! factor with both SE530 and PK1. Moreso with the PK1 than AD744(OBCA)/EL8201. It plays well with both ALO-modded SR225 and HD650. With the SR225, this Topkit has more WOW!!! with crunchy/chunky electric guitars, and less WOW!!! with human voice than the AD744(OBCA)/EL8201 - but still a WOW!!! for both. AND, this Topkit in the D10 with HD650 yields a sound that I would call a Good Taste of the what the HD650 can do. Not on par with their performance with my personal favorite HD650 Desktop Amp (the Caliente), however, I'm not shaking my head and saying, "... but the HD650 can really sound BETTER than this" either. The sound is good enough to just relax and enjoy it. With this Topkit installed, I'd say that, yes, the D10 with USB input can drive the HD650, and give the listener a good taste of what the HD650 can do.

I'm really loving today's Topkit: OPA350(CA)/EL8201's at work with the Yuin PK1's. I'll post more later on how it does with my full-sized phones at home.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #2,784 of 4,153
Quote:

The best life insurance it has now is it's iskin, a spare battery in the fridge, and it's three siblings that also live in my house (2 x H160's and an H130).

You need a backup/parts source. I have 3 good H120 and 2 for parts.
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #2,786 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, they are out? I have some but should have bought more. There is nothing like nonpolar Black Gates. Frustration. . . .

File down that inner edge and you will be ok. Just that little bit of extra room will make everything much smoother.

Hey, they are still available at Sonic Craft.

I filed down the inner edge of the casing and yes, now its way better. Thanks for the tips.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #2,787 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, they are still available at Sonic Craft.

I filed down the inner edge of the casing and yes, now its way better. Thanks for the tips.

What did the BG caps change in the SQ?

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #2,789 of 4,153
slightly off-topic.. I was offered an H120 (in great condition with all the packaging and original accessories..) for around US $200.. seems a bit expensive to me though but I have no idea what price is considered reasonable... is it a good deal?

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #2,790 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slightly off-topic.. I was offered an H120 (in great condition with all the packaging and original accessories..) for around US $200.. seems a bit expensive to me though but I have no idea what price is considered reasonable... is it a good deal?

I see them sell for that on ebay. I have paid less but they seem to be going back up in price. There isn't anything like them and if you Rockbox it (different operating system that is much better than the iRiver software), you have a really nice machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back