iBasso D10 iMac, iPhone and Grados. Good interim solution?
May 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gregvet

Head-Fier
I am waiting for my Grado HF2's with baited breath, and am considering my system as a whole while I wait. Currently I use my AT AD700s direct from my iPhone, AV receiver, and iMac. Once the Grados arrive I intend to use them from the AV receiver, and the Grados from the iMac and iPod. To this end I will end up with an external DAC and headphone amp for the iMac and that will become my primary 'phone environment for music. I cannot afford a good wuality setup right now, so was thinking about an iBasso D10 for the iMac setup now, which can become a portable rig with the iPhone once I get the home system sorted.

My first question is, does the iBasso go well with the phones I will own. I would like to try some higher end Senns at some point, but no firm plans there so not a big deciding factor!

Second is will the DAC and amp be a significant improvement over the inbuilt DAC and amp in the iMac? I know it wont be as good as a dedicated home amp and DAC, but it should be an improvement, right?

Thirdly, are there any closed/smaller 'phones for out and about that go particularly well with the iBasso that anyone would recomend? I do get some funny looks using the AD700's on the tube! Why purple AT, why purple!

May 21, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 4
I think you are going to be hard pressed to find any better value for money amp/dac than the D10 and it punches well beyond it's price. It should work fine in all your applications just be aware that iBasso amps are not weel shielded against rf interference so that could be a problem with the phone and you might only be able to use it with the phone in airplane mode. It drove my ATH-ESW9 very well so that might be an option for small closed phone but it does not isolate all that well against external nosie but it does not leak much at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back