iBasso D10 gain on or off?
Aug 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mediahound

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious if I should set the gain switch on or off and how to determine this? I'm using Denon AH-D5000 headphones. I think these cans are 50 ohms but not super sensitive.

To me, it sounds great either way but naturally flipping the gain switch on makes it louder so I'm not sure what is ideal.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 14
If it doesn't sound any different to you, it makes no difference. I would suggest using whichever setting allows you to achieve your desired listening level with the volume control setting at about the 10 o'clock position.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 14
Well, it sounds different but just louder with it on. No worse quality with it off or anything though for me.

Thanks, with the gain off, at about 10 o'clock it's plenty loud with most songs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it doesn't sound any different to you, it makes no difference. I would suggest using whichever setting allows you to achieve your desired listening level with the volume control setting at about the 10 o'clock position.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 14
weird..the gain doesn't really do much for me. i always leave it on high because it sounds so soft even with grado's, i always have the volume at least at the 12 o'clock position.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Yea, I agree with sennshead. Had one for a while, played around with the gain switch for a while and ended staying on low gain but it was personal preference. Whatever you like better.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 14
When I measured the gain of the D10, it actually only changed about 3db. According to iBasso, either resistor will work properly in the gain circuit, so there is no defect.
As most of my phones are fairly sensitive, low gain works well for me, but technically, there should be no difference in SQ between the two settings, only a small increase in volume in high gain setting.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 14
I seem to hear loud vocals and slightly better bass with the gain on (D5000s). It may good too for rock but may not be for other types of music.

With the gain off it sounds more like other my sources (ie probably more normal).

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ON

NO.

turn it off if your source gives you enough "loudness".

Gain affects the voltage multiplication factor. They make no difference between high gain or low gain.

In fact, there are better benefits for using low gain. You get more volume control range and generally lower noise.

Only use high gain when your source voltage is insufficient, e.g. you have to turn to 11 oclock to get your comfortable listening level.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 14
Ok, I stand corrected, TzeYang is right, and thanks! I turned it off and it gives a totally different sound depending on the type of music that you are listening to. You live and learn!

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 14
I might be a little bit off-topic here with my iBasso D2+, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm also using the Low Gain position, since this way I can control the volume more precisely and the sound is somehow smoother.
My comfortable listening position of the volume control is when set between 10-11 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back