iBasso D1 Opamp Rolling
Jan 2, 2008 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

thislittlepiggy

100+ Head-Fier
i just got my iBasso D1 last week, and it sounds alright with my HD580. however, i'm not all that impressed especially in the bass department. i feel that it's a little to loose for my taste. what opamps should i use to increase the impact of the bass? also, where can i buy opamps?

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 23
Do a search on ibasso in the amp section and you will find some really good information and advice there. There are a couple of threads on the D1 that you may find helpful.

Welcome to head-fi! I think you will find the D1 a great product, especially if you use the DAC.

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 23
thanks for the advice. i tried researching this a little before posting this thread, but came up with very inconsistent information.

another noob question: does one opamp have the same effect on different amps? for example, if i read on a fubar III thread that so-and-so amp gives better bass performance, will that be the same for the D1?

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 23
I am very interested in figuring out how to opamp roll as well. If anyone finds a detailed walkthrough of how to do it and what parts/tools I will need, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've found all the forums that recommend with opamps to try, but have found very little to walk me through the process.

I love this forum but it's making me poor
frown.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 23
ok, i'm interested in doing this combination:

L/R: AD797 (DIP)
Buffer: Bypass w/ dummy sockets
DAC: stock

I have a slew of questions:

Do I need a Brown Dog adapter if the AD797 is DIP? If so, can someone give me a link to a place that sells one? I'm having trouble finding one.
Where can I get the parts to make the dummy opamp shown in the link? Also, do the dummy opamps need a Brown Dog as well?

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 23
You need 2 AD797s along with a single-to-dual opamps adapter. You'd then solder two of these onto the adapter. Mount the AD797s on these.

My suggestion to you is, rather than futz with this, PM HiFlight. I purchased my adapter set and dummy buffer sockets from him. He's a very helpful guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 23
thanks a bunch. i'll send him a pm. do i need a single-to-dual adapter for the DAC? also, do i just insert the dummy sockets straight into the sockets on the D1 or do i need a single-to-dual adapter? i've been trying to figure this out for a while.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 23
haha found my answer for the last question, still searching for an answer to the first one....

"To summarize, if interested in trying this combo, one needs a 2-1 single to dual Browndog adapter (DIP), 4 sockets, 4 jumpers, and 2 AD797 DIP opamps. Soldering the sockets onto the adapter requires soldering 8 small pins that in are close proximity to each other. Solder bridges are NOT good! Once the sockets are done, the rest is quick and easy."

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks a bunch. i'll send him a pm. do i need a single-to-dual adapter for the DAC? also, do i just insert the dummy sockets straight into the sockets on the D1 or do i need a single-to-dual adapter? i've been trying to figure this out for a while.

In the dac area, there's very little room and there are very good dual opamps to try. LT6241, LT6234 are very good. You don't need a single to dual adapter here as these are dual opamps. So one soic chip that you solder to a soic to dip browndog adapter and insert into the dac socket.

For the dummy sockets, no adapter is needed. Its just plug and play.

hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back