iBasso D1 DAC vs Headroom Microdac - any impressions ?
Dec 30, 2007 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

musicmaker

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone compared the dac sections of the iBasso D1 (with upgraded opamps) to the Headroom microdac unit ? If you have heard both, I'd be interested in your impressions on sound quality.

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 12
The only person I know that own iBasso D1 and Headroom Ultra Micro Dac is "HiFlight"
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 12
thanks, just sent him a PM.

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 12
He really, really likes the Micro. really.

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 12
I exchanged PMs with Ron (HiFlight). His response below:

I have the HR Ultra Micro DAC. It is a really nice DAC with selectable inputs and does sound really nice. I am sure that the upsampling has a lot to do with that.

To be honest, I can't really hear a great deal of difference between it and the D1 DAC. Maybe both have just reached the limits of my ears to hear such subtle differences.

Given the fact that the Ultra Micro DAC costs 3x the price of the D1, I an not real sure that I would do it again, as the D1 and O1-DAC really do as good as I can hear.

I think that the D1 DAC is easily the equal, if not exceeds the performance of the lower cost Micro DAC.

I am expecting that the upcoming D2 might be even better, although I am not sure that it can be used as a stand-alone DAC as the D1 is able to do.

Using the THS4032 for LR, and the LMH6655 for buffer, the D1 is right up there with the very best when run thru its DAC and amp.

I do know that HR has a very liberal return policy if you don't like the unit and wish to return it.

I hope these comments are of some help to you.

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 12
See he really likes it and he really likes the D1. Great times these are. For 249 bucks you can get a dac and amp and for portable use that is a true musical instrument. The D2 amp/dac should sound even a little better but will be a USB/amp or amp but not a coax or optical in dac.

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes exciting times indeed with a plethora of choices especially in the portable space. I agree that the D1s DAC is great. At this price point its a no brainer. I still feel the amp section of the D1 is not that great. Now keep in mind, I don't have blackgates on my D1 so maybe that is making the difference for you guys. I'm also going to try the opamps Ron suggested.

I'm listening to the iRiver optical out to the D1 dac with line out to the Larocco PrII and it sounds incredible.

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes exciting times indeed with a plethora of choices especially in the portable space. I agree that the D1s DAC is great. At this price point its a no brainer. I still feel the amp section of the D1 is not that great. Now keep in mind, I don't have blackgates on my D1 so maybe that is making the difference for you guys. I'm also going to try the opamps Ron suggested.

I'm listening to the iRiver optical out to the D1 dac with line out to the Larocco PrII and it sounds incredible.

Yes. I wish the D2 was going to have optical and coax but then it would be bigger but it will have the amp section of the P2, which is excellent and is better than the standard D1 amp section. The D1 amp section must have better opamps installed than originally came with it but at least it is easily upgradable, which makes it more than just one amp, but many.

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Last night I lay in my bedroom in the dark listening to iRiver H140 (Rockbox/FLAC)>iBasso D1 DAC>RSA SR-71>K701 and I thought the sound was wonderful.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by from musicmaker
I still feel the amp section of the D1 is not that great.

Yes, I would agree with that - although I don't do intensive modding (caps rolling) or do dual-single opamps rolling, I still think D1 amp lack of punch. But D1 DAC simply stellar! currently I use it to feed my speaker setup, and I love how my speaker setup sound now.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 12
i haven't done the blackgate cap rolling either as it will void the warranty. I've however done opamp rolling (single and dual opamps). While this has greatly improved the sound, my opinion on the amp section still stands, especially when I compare it with my PRII or RSA XP7. The dac is terrific though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back