iAudio X5
post-1416213
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 30

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
349
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Posts
349
Likes
0
Well after deciding not to wait for the X5 to come out this year, I got an iRiver H340 back in January. Now I am regretting that decision after seeing the X5. Anyways, I was wondering what the start up time is like on this player. My H340 literally takes 3 minutes to start up, which I consider top be unacceptable when I see other players (including my old Karma) starting up in less than 10 seconds. So can anybody tell me how long it takes to start up? Thanks.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416217
Post #2 of 30

PrototypeX2

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
753
Reaction score
10
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
753
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
Well after deciding not to wait for the X5 to come out this year, I got an iRiver H340 back in January. Now I am regretting that decision after seeing the X5. Anyways, I was wondering what the start up time is like on this player. My H340 literally takes 3 minutes to start up, which I consider top be unacceptable when I see other players (including my old Karma) starting up in less than 10 seconds. So can anybody tell me how long it takes to start up? Thanks.


H100/300 series will take some time to boot up because they don't have Standby Mode.
If X5 has them, it will take 10 seconds like others, but if it doesn't, then it will be a few minutes just like iRiver H1/300 series.
P.S. To add that standby modes are on for usually 24 hours.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416220
Post #3 of 30

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
349
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Posts
349
Likes
0
Can anybody tell me for a fact how long it takes though? Also, what's the difference between the X5 and the X5L? Thanks.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416242
Post #4 of 30

KtoEto

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
420
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Posts
420
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
what's the difference between the X5 and the X5L? Thanks.


"the X5L will provide 35 hours of playback from six hours of charging versus 14 hours of playback from 3 hours of charging on the X5."

The X5L is also 4 mm thicker.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416252
Post #5 of 30

dwc

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
230
Reaction score
11
Joined
May 13, 2005
Posts
230
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
Can anybody tell me for a fact how long it takes though? Also, what's the difference between the X5 and the X5L? Thanks.



From the iaudiophile review:
Quote:

I’ll just run through some basic operations on the X5. Pushing up the Power switch on the side of the player turns the player on. After a seven second boot up (3500 Audio Files loaded on the player) you are brought to the “main status screen”.


 
     Share This Post       
post-1416361
Post #8 of 30

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
594
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Posts
594
Likes
10
Mine is the 20gb and is loaded with 3500 songs, i have about 4GB left. The normal startup time is about 7-9 seconds, thats not too bad at all.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416426
Post #9 of 30

titaniumx3

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
840
Reaction score
18
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Posts
840
Likes
18
Are you serious about the iriver taking minutes to start up?

I have a zen touch that starts up almost instantaneously if its in standby mode. But if I leave it switched off for a couple of hours it will take about 6 seconds to start up, not minutes!
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416440
Post #10 of 30

JJ15k

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
557
Reaction score
11
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Posts
557
Likes
11
I did the same thing as you, but with my moded iriver (now 60gb capacity) boot up takes more like 30sec than minutes.
It s annoying but not that awful.The real shame with the iRiver is that it s too thick, otherwise it has pretty much everything.
PS: exact measurement : 33sec
 
     Share This Post       
post-1416833
Post #11 of 30

YamiTenshi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 1, 2004
Messages
2,109
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 1, 2004
Posts
2,109
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
My H340 literally takes 3 minutes to start up, which I consider top be unacceptable when I see other players (including my old Karma) starting up in less than 10 seconds.


Have you tried this?


http://www.misticriver.net/boards/sh...ad.php?t=11603
 
     Share This Post       
post-1417088
Post #12 of 30

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
349
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Posts
349
Likes
0
Thanks for the info on the X5. Maybe I lied a bit...I just actually timed it and it took just over a minute and a half..which is still terrible. It's like I have to anticipate when I want to listen to my player and start up up a couple minutes ahead of time. Thinking of selling my player and buying an X5...how much do you think I could get for an H340 in near mint condition (the screen protector film that was on the unit when I opened the box is even still on the screen)? Can you think of any features I'd be losing by switiching players? Thanks.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1417174
Post #13 of 30

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
594
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Posts
594
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
Thanks for the info on the X5. Maybe I lied a bit...I just actually timed it and it took just over a minute and a half..which is still terrible. It's like I have to anticipate when I want to listen to my player and start up up a couple minutes ahead of time. Thinking of selling my player and buying an X5...how much do you think I could get for an H340 in near mint condition (the screen protector film that was on the unit when I opened the box is even still on the screen)? Can you think of any features I'd be losing by switiching players? Thanks.


Cant think of anything you would lose, besides like 10GB since they only have a 20 and 30gb version available. Plus you gain video, and its about half the width of your h340, not to mention a lot lighter. Its up to you though, i always liked the h340, it was my first choice till i saw the X5, and even then i still almost got he h340. I can highly recommend the X5 though, i say go for it.
And i bet you could almost pay for the X5 if you sold your h340, if not even have some extra money left over.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1417215
Post #14 of 30

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
349
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Posts
349
Likes
0
You're right, I will be losing 10 GB's (I'd go with the 30 gig X5). But I'm sure I'd learn to live with that. Too be honest, 40 gigs is too much. It's not that I don't have 40 gigs worth of music, but more that I don't have 40 gigs worth of music that I wish to have access to at any point in time, you know? I'd wanna get the "L" model too, for the extra battery life. So I'm looking at like $380 (w/o any accessories). So I don't know if selling my H340 could pay for it, but I'd certainly hope to get at least $300 for it. Is this unreasonable?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1417269
Post #15 of 30

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
594
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Posts
594
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
You're right, I will be losing 10 GB's (I'd go with the 30 gig X5). But I'm sure I'd learn to live with that. Too be honest, 40 gigs is too much. It's not that I don't have 40 gigs worth of music, but more that I don't have 40 gigs worth of music that I wish to have access to at any point in time, you know? I'd wanna get the "L" model too, for the extra battery life. So I'm looking at like $380 (w/o any accessories). So I don't know if selling my H340 could pay for it, but I'd certainly hope to get at least $300 for it. Is this unreasonable?


Not at all, i would think you could get at least 320$ for it. And yeah i here you, i had a 40gb zen touch before, and bought the 20GB X5. I didn't think i would be able to make it work, but i soon went through my music collection and found PLENTY of music i just dont really care to listen too, as well as a lot of duplicates and such. For me i have over 3500 songs stuffed on my player, and that should be plenty for almost anyone. I think i will be trading my X5 in for the X5l 30GB soon though, i cant really resist an extra 10gb as well as double the battery life of my player. Having had the Touch with a 24hour battery life, the 10-12 I'm getting with the X5 just seems too low for me. Anyways i hope you get the X5 and enjoy it as much as i am. I just got back from the pool, getting a tan and catching up on some Star Trek episodes on the X5
(I'm really not as big a geek as your thinking!)
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top