iAudio X5
Jun 7, 2005 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Well after deciding not to wait for the X5 to come out this year, I got an iRiver H340 back in January. Now I am regretting that decision after seeing the X5. Anyways, I was wondering what the start up time is like on this player. My H340 literally takes 3 minutes to start up, which I consider top be unacceptable when I see other players (including my old Karma) starting up in less than 10 seconds. So can anybody tell me how long it takes to start up? Thanks.

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
Well after deciding not to wait for the X5 to come out this year, I got an iRiver H340 back in January. Now I am regretting that decision after seeing the X5. Anyways, I was wondering what the start up time is like on this player. My H340 literally takes 3 minutes to start up, which I consider top be unacceptable when I see other players (including my old Karma) starting up in less than 10 seconds. So can anybody tell me how long it takes to start up? Thanks.

H100/300 series will take some time to boot up because they don't have Standby Mode.
If X5 has them, it will take 10 seconds like others, but if it doesn't, then it will be a few minutes just like iRiver H1/300 series.
P.S. To add that standby modes are on for usually 24 hours.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

what's the difference between the X5 and the X5L? Thanks.

"the X5L will provide 35 hours of playback from six hours of charging versus 14 hours of playback from 3 hours of charging on the X5."

The X5L is also 4 mm thicker.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Can anybody tell me for a fact how long it takes though? Also, what's the difference between the X5 and the X5L? Thanks.

From the iaudiophile review:
Quote:

I’ll just run through some basic operations on the X5. Pushing up the Power switch on the side of the player turns the player on. After a seven second boot up (3500 Audio Files loaded on the player) you are brought to the “main status screen”.

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 30
Mine is the 20gb and is loaded with 3500 songs, i have about 4GB left. The normal startup time is about 7-9 seconds, thats not too bad at all.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 30
Are you serious about the iriver taking minutes to start up?

I have a zen touch that starts up almost instantaneously if its in standby mode. But if I leave it switched off for a couple of hours it will take about 6 seconds to start up, not minutes!

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 30
I did the same thing as you, but with my moded iriver (now 60gb capacity) boot up takes more like 30sec than minutes.
It s annoying but not that awful.The real shame with the iRiver is that it s too thick, otherwise it has pretty much everything.
PS: exact measurement : 33sec

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 30
Thanks for the info on the X5. Maybe I lied a bit...I just actually timed it and it took just over a minute and a half..which is still terrible. It's like I have to anticipate when I want to listen to my player and start up up a couple minutes ahead of time. Thinking of selling my player and buying an X5...how much do you think I could get for an H340 in near mint condition (the screen protector film that was on the unit when I opened the box is even still on the screen)? Can you think of any features I'd be losing by switiching players? Thanks.

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Thanks for the info on the X5. Maybe I lied a bit...I just actually timed it and it took just over a minute and a half..which is still terrible. It's like I have to anticipate when I want to listen to my player and start up up a couple minutes ahead of time. Thinking of selling my player and buying an X5...how much do you think I could get for an H340 in near mint condition (the screen protector film that was on the unit when I opened the box is even still on the screen)? Can you think of any features I'd be losing by switiching players? Thanks.

Cant think of anything you would lose, besides like 10GB since they only have a 20 and 30gb version available. Plus you gain video, and its about half the width of your h340, not to mention a lot lighter. Its up to you though, i always liked the h340, it was my first choice till i saw the X5, and even then i still almost got he h340. I can highly recommend the X5 though, i say go for it.
orphsmile.gif
And i bet you could almost pay for the X5 if you sold your h340, if not even have some extra money left over.

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 30
You're right, I will be losing 10 GB's (I'd go with the 30 gig X5). But I'm sure I'd learn to live with that. Too be honest, 40 gigs is too much. It's not that I don't have 40 gigs worth of music, but more that I don't have 40 gigs worth of music that I wish to have access to at any point in time, you know? I'd wanna get the "L" model too, for the extra battery life. So I'm looking at like $380 (w/o any accessories). So I don't know if selling my H340 could pay for it, but I'd certainly hope to get at least $300 for it. Is this unreasonable?

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

You're right, I will be losing 10 GB's (I'd go with the 30 gig X5). But I'm sure I'd learn to live with that. Too be honest, 40 gigs is too much. It's not that I don't have 40 gigs worth of music, but more that I don't have 40 gigs worth of music that I wish to have access to at any point in time, you know? I'd wanna get the "L" model too, for the extra battery life. So I'm looking at like $380 (w/o any accessories). So I don't know if selling my H340 could pay for it, but I'd certainly hope to get at least $300 for it. Is this unreasonable?

Not at all, i would think you could get at least 320$ for it. And yeah i here you, i had a 40gb zen touch before, and bought the 20GB X5. I didn't think i would be able to make it work, but i soon went through my music collection and found PLENTY of music i just dont really care to listen too, as well as a lot of duplicates and such. For me i have over 3500 songs stuffed on my player, and that should be plenty for almost anyone. I think i will be trading my X5 in for the X5l 30GB soon though, i cant really resist an extra 10gb as well as double the battery life of my player. Having had the Touch with a 24hour battery life, the 10-12 I'm getting with the X5 just seems too low for me. Anyways i hope you get the X5 and enjoy it as much as i am. I just got back from the pool, getting a tan and catching up on some Star Trek episodes on the X5
orphsmile.gif
(I'm really not as big a geek as your thinking!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back