iAudio X5 line-out
Jul 11, 2007 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

soMn

100+ Head-Fier
Just my meager contribution here. I've had all this info for about a year and a half, so I know it's not anything new, but I couldn't find any threads here about it, and I was anxious to put it to use using what I'd learned from the interconnect thread.

To be completely clear, this post is merely the synthesis of brschmid's interconnect thread, and this one by Sirronikae over at iaudiophile.net. I had made a few of these cables when I first got my X5L about a year and a half ago (line-out, line-in, and two portable USB cables), but for the audio cables I simply used a cheap radioshack RCA cable, cut in half. But after getting my first set of Grados and a PA2V2, I felt I needed a line-out to mini; plus I just wanted to play with techflex and heatshrink, and I had an extra Gomadic connector from before (also I needed something small and inexpensive to help stave off the upgraditis). I know some people have issues with the X5 line-out, but to my (admittedly untrained) ears, using the line-out with amp seems, at the very least, to clear up the problem with somewhat muddy or less detailed mids. Nor have I noticed a decrease in bass, and I listen to quite a bit of <gasp> hip-hop, though lately it's been mostly jazz and folk. Also, the volume of the line-out doesn't exactly change with the volume control as I had seen some people indicate. Firstly, it doesn't really change at all when you're running Rockbox; if it's down completely, then it's muted, but if you turn it up all the way the volume stays constant. Then in the iAudio software it's muted at 0, then constant through 34, where it jumps up through 40. I never noticed it because I always boot to Rockbox anyway.

One last thing before getting to the pictures; in Sirronikae's thread there's a link to Gomadic and he identifies the part needed as #ICP-21-1700, which was correct when I bought my first batch. Now, however, I think the part # is simply ICP-21. I'm not completely positive (99% sure), but I'll know later this week when the two that I just ordered come in. To the connector I'm attaching Canare star quad, and their F-12 mini.

I didn't take many pictures of the steps of the assembly that are already covered in greater detail by either author, just a few to help with the assembly of the connector, and to show the end product, of course.

Here are the parts of the Gomadic connector when you receive it unassembled:
parts.jpg

Unfortunately, there are no instructions for assembly, but it's rather easy and intuitive; the only thing you need to be careful about is to get the locking prongs facing the correct direction (downward):
assembly.jpg

If you look at the pic 4 down from here (not counting the pin-out diagram), the one of the connector mostly assembled, you can see on the plate that isn't snapped on yet that there are two little triangles on either side whereas the one in this pic is smooth. The above pic is of the bottom of the connector whereas the final piece in the almost complete connector is the top.

Comparing this diagram (from the iaudiophile.net forums)
X5_ConnectorPins_LineOut.gif

to this pic
pins.jpg

shows the proper orientation of piece with the pins (sorry that it's blurry; there was just enough light to keep the camera from flashing in macro mode). I drew the red lines to help delineate pins 1 and 2.

Obviously, it's much easier to solder without all of the extra pins in there, though removing them isn't necessary to making it work. Just remove them using needle-nosed pliers:
pins-removed.jpg

Here it is after soldering. I used small diameter heatshrink to ensure that the soldered pins and wire stay separated.
soldered_assembly.jpg

I debated about using the sleeve that comes with the connector, and in the end I kinda wish I hadn't because I probably could have made the techflex and heatshrink seamless without it. Oh well, live and learn. As I mentioned before, I have two more on the way.

Here it is almost completely assembled:
part_assembled.jpg

Although it should be obvious just by looking at the connector on the iAudio, you can tell how to orient the piece with the pins in the enclosure because the flat side is up and the grooved side is down.

Finished cable:
finishedcable.jpg

I got sloppy with the heatshink and techflex on the connector side -- something I'll remedy next time around.

and here it is in action:
in_action.jpg

I hope this helps anyone with an X5. I love mine, despite having such flaws as that stupid subpack and the joystick. Next project: I want to replace my crappy line-in, as I often record a friend who spins at my sister's coffee shop, and it's so convenient to be able to just plug straight into his mixer.

Also, I have a detailed PDF that includes all of the info in Sirronikae's thread, along with complete pin-outs of the X5 and the subpack and instructions on making a retractable USB cable (very convenient; one of the first things I made). I can't remember who originally made it, but it's basically just compiled from the iaudiophile forums. PM me if you want a copy and I'll email it (450K).

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 18
looks good!

be careful with the line out cable though, I had one from sirronakae and apparently from about a years use has caused the left channel in my line out to not work
frown.gif
I am not blaming the cable as it mostly has been from me not treating it like i should.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 18
oh yeah, forgot to mention a dollop of hot-glue right inside the sleeve. and for what it's worth, the new connectors came in, and while they look different (a little longer) they still fit and even come with the tricky part preassembled.

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 18
Nice guide!! I feel all of the specific LOD tutorials (Ipod LOD, ZV:M LOD, and X5 LOD) need to be stickied. That would help out a lot of people. Nice job again!

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 18
Cool! Its nice seeing this tutorial on the site!

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 18
Just to confirm soMn references on HP IPAQ plug :

My father has an IPAQ and I just tried the IPAQ>USB cable plug, and it suits just right. I'll try this reference to do my LOD for my M5L.
Thanks for this Tuto.
wink.gif

edit : Do you think this HP IPAQ plug will work ?

edit2: Definitely Yes. It works very fine.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice guide!! I feel all of the specific LOD tutorials (Ipod LOD, ZV:M LOD, and X5 LOD) need to be stickied. That would help out a lot of people. Nice job again!

There's an iPod LOD tutorial here? I've looked but never found anything. Mind linking me?

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 18
Wow. Great job. Just curious as to if you noticed a difference in sound between the line out and just hooking up an interconnect to the subpack. Trying to decide if its worth it to attempt for my x5.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 18
Headphone out, excellent.

Line out, don't really know as mine only works in one channel. However there are a ton of reports that the bass frequencies roll off. Dfkt did some tests, I believe.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #15 of 18
Yeah, my headphone jack died after about a year (a common problem, apparently). Luckily they have an office in Irvine (CA) - I got an RMA number, drove over there, the guy disappeared into a backroom for no more than 5 minutes, came back with the headphone jack all fixed up. Very nice people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back