iAudio D2 vs iriver Clix?
Mar 2, 2007 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Millow

New Head-Fier
What player should I choose, or should I wait for the next generation of Clix?

Same price
Clix wins on since and appearence
D2 wins battery
D2 wins functions, (touchscreen, SD-card)
Pretty equal in sound, am I right?
Clix (iriver) wins support and warranty

I'll use it for music mostly, Flac or at least 320kbit mp3. Maybe a tv-show or something sometimes, but the music and sound is top priority.

Is the touchscreen good on an mp3-player? All fingerprints and stuff on it?

Some feedback on these player would be appreciated...

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 17
I can't speak about the D2 but I love my Clix. It sounds great with my marshmallows. Fingerprints are attracted to it but they are easy to wipe off. I plan on getting the next gen Clix because I enjoy mine so much.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 17
Sounds good, really love the design of the Clix, much more than the D2, and the dockingstation is wonderful, maybe a Clix now and the second generations Clix in the late summer =)

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodandsoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clix 2 does not natively support FLAC.

D2 natively supports FLAC.

But when you think about it, transcoding your FLAC files to mp3 or some other format would save a lot of space on either of the 2. Unless you plug in a high capacity SD card into the D2, then it wins out.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Millow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty equal in sound, am I right?

Can anyone confirm that. What DAC chips they use?

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 17
Yeah yould like to know too
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone that has tried both and can say something about them, wich menu's that is the best and stuff like that...
Wich is best when're on the run and maybe has it in the pcket and don't want to pick up up to change song or rasie volume...

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 17
I don't know about iRiver, but I have had nothing but good experience with Cowon Tech Support, especially the live chat. All you need to do is have a curteous tone, and they will be plenty helpful.

But yeah, the clix(edited) doesn't natively support flac. And think about this:

4gb D2: $219
8gb SDHC card: $65

there you have a 12gb flash player for >$300, plus you can get a cheap SD for just your movies, so you don't have to take up space on the player.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But yeah, the D2 doesn't natively support flac.

You mean Clix?

Honestly, I think with the SD slot it's a no-brainer. For all practical intents and purposes (except for perhaps a line-out; but in my experience Cowon headphone-outs make good line-outs) the D2 has got the Clix beat.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 17
Clix2 8GB should be available in April.
Design of clix is more attractive and click driven interface is more practical for portable use than touch screen.
If they sound the same Clix2 gets my heart.

FLAC support is not a very strong selling point for low capacity flash player. (IMHO)

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 17
i'm not so sure 8gb+ is necessarily low-capacity, though with the sizes of lossless files, i see your point.

personally, i like the 'wow' factor the D2 offers over the clix2. I saw no real advantages to owning the clix/clix2, except for the tactile feel, which is nice, but the D2's custom button does everything i need.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 17
With the addition of a 8gb sdhc card the Cowon D2 technically becomes a 12gb dap. 8gb sdhc cards are readily available and there pretty cheap.

And by the end of the year 16gb sdhc cards. So by the end of the year the Cowon D2 then becomes a 20gb dap.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the addition of a 8gb sdhc card the Cowon D2 technically becomes a 12gb dap. 8gb sdhc cards are readily available and there pretty cheap.

And by the end of the year 16gb sdhc cards. So by the end of the year the Cowon D2 then becomes a 20gb dap.

SDHC card slot is the biggest advantage, besides simply increasing overall capacity of the player you can pretty much have ALL you music collection on SD cards, swapping them like CDs.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 17
If we say that the memory capacity of 4GB is enough for me, I have 512MB now and I think 4GB will be more than enough because I'll have some albums always and all change others more often. Because let's say 1 album 320kbit takes about 130 MB avarage, then 4GB is about 30 albums, and that's pretty much iom. More than enough if we say that I'll anly use it for about a couple of hours.

Also seems like all the D2 owners are happy with their choice, and the same with all the Clix owners...

I like the appearence of the Clix very much, and the sound is good in both so right now the Clix is my favorite...

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 17
The D2 looks more appealing to me do the SDHC option with firmware upgrade. I also read somwhere that the two buttons on the outside of the player can be user defined. This way I could set one button to shuffle and one to play or track forward. Can anyone confirm this?

Correction: There is two volume buttons and one user defined button on the outside. I guess I would set to track forward.

Thanks.
DO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back