iAudio || Creative || Apple ? - No Amp.
Jun 27, 2006 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a good sounding audio and-or photo portable player for use un-amped with 32-60 Ohm headphones.With prices in mind , i have narrowed my choices down to :

iAudio M5 20GB
Creative Zen 20 GB Black
Ipod 30GB 5G Black

The Zen Micro's not on the list because of its comparitively weaker output of 7mW into 32Ohm load.I will prefer a player that will give me a good sounding cutting EQ . I dont mind a monochrome screen or pressing a few more buttons....ALso note that i live in Dubai,UAE ; so now second hand stuff , no ebay or old / discontinued models.

Thanks.

PS : I did search but reading the results have left me even more bewildered at the subjective opinions on the sound quality.
ANd if it helps,i like FLAT sounding audio.No boosted treble or bass for me.

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 12
You considered the Zen Vision:M at all?

I'd get that out of those 3 choices.

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Jun 27, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Choosing a player is so damn hard.
The zen micro doesnt have a custom EQ while the Zen Micro Photo and the Sleek do.The Zen VIsion:M is expensive as is the 30GB Ipod video.I wouldnt mind making my parents pay for the ipod if Rockbox worked properly on it with Replaygain,EQ,crossfeed on high bitrate mp3's.
I would ask them to buy me a Zen Micro Photo but 8GB is too little and the Sleek hasnt been released in the UAE.

WHAT DO I DO ?
mad.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 12
The Zen Micro does have a custom EQ. It's basically identical to the Zen MicroPhoto with the exception of colour screen and photo capabilities. If you look around, you can find a Zen Micro for really cheap these days.

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 12
I've had my Zen Micro since it came out and it's a very good player. You can get the 4GB very cheap now that the 8GB and the "photo" are out. Fits great in an Altoids can also.
1. The output is VERY clear without an amp. Just look at the SNR number - the number is right on, I think its 97db.
2. The EQ is not Parametric, but it is adjustable.

If you don't mind the small GB size, it's a nice choice for good sound.

Jun 27, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Get the iPod, put Rockbox on it w/ Black Glass WPS.

The best controls w/ the best firmware...simplistic bliss.

Jun 28, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 12
I can assure you that it's almost impossible to listen to the zen micro at max volume,even if it has only 7mW+7mW.It's even louder than my Iriver's 18mW+18mW.Besides that, the sound quality is great, I love the sound of that little thing..

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #11 of 12
Indeed, the Zen Micro sounds fantastic even with its 7mW+7mW output. One of the best sounding players I've heard.

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
Crossfeed + EQ + High Bitrate Mp3's = SKIPPING on the Rockbox according to the user on the rockbox forums. And the Zen Micro has only 7 mW output.

What is considered high bitrate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back