I wish my ipod was made of Corda Move
Jul 19, 2007 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Don't be scared, this isn't fuel for fotm. It is simply my attempt to convey my wondering about ipod design choices.

My corda move is now attached to the leather casing around my imod by the forces of velcro. I look at the two joined beasts, I touch them and hold them and start think, the move feels so good, so solid, so total - it reminds me of a quote in a movie where a doctor holding a human brain was asked where love is - he responded that it is situated where lust and association meet. Whether factual or not, it makes perfect sense. Love could only be in such a place where seemingly unrelated forces are joined and fuel eachother through sparks between them and indeed from the energy produced by the human strain to rationalize and categorize. Something can only be amazing, off the charts, and mindblowing, when attempts to rationalize and constrain miserably fail, showing the true exponential nature of nature and the lineary constraints of the human mind.

The approach to designing the ipod then seems disgustingly lineary and narrowminded - it seems like the perfect product of a very clearly defined set of goals, resulting in the perfect realisation of those categorial prepositions. The result seems to be a rational view of perfection, it is pleasing to most senses, yet the level of (aesthetic) pleasure seems to fall on a completely linear scale anyhow. The lack of passion in the ipod becomes very obvious when you hold a product like the move, or many others i am sure. How is fragility supposed to be a selling point, an advantage, a design philosophy? Ridicules. It makes it seem like Apple is telling us that we can only love that which we fear / are afraid to lose / afraid will break, and I actually have a feeling that this is part of the design philosophy. Maybe it is just my personal point of view, but I believe that a condition for love is unconditionality, ie. for me to ever love an ipod, it needs to be indestructible - I need to be able to totally trust it, while still being able to caress its curves and admire its functionality.

Enter the Move.

Jan, this would be a good time to announce your plans to develop a DAP! Ah well, I can only hope...

movepodxm6.jpg

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 22
heh heh very poetic, and so true. I think my personal response to the fragility of the ipod was to do nothing... nothing to protect it. It is now fully covered in scratches, and the video feature is now diminished (which I realize now is so very useless and worthless). I was thinking just the other day that the only thing I like about the ipod is its pretty easy to use. Im knee-deep in itunes, and don't feel like switching to foobar and rockbox my ipod, so I'm stuck with a poor eq'ing system. Im also loving the image of the move. When you take out the PCB you can really see the fortress it sits in. If only there was a DAP built like a move, with a small screen big hard drive, and a good DAC chip...
ah well, I guess we'll never have it all.

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 22
HAHA, you guys are ridiculous....
I have never seen so much love and appreciation for an dac/amp.
My recommendation is to get a prenuptial.
Got a message from Jan, my move is coming in 10 days.....I won't be home for another 4 weeks but I can't take the chance that the move may be sold out.
Wish women were more like the move.....do what I want, when I want, how I want, and satisfy me.....

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 22
wow, that's deep.

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 22
The ipod design was intentional... it has created a giant accessories market that covers up all its fragilities.

Jul 19, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ipod design was intentional... it has created a giant accessories market that covers up all its fragilities.

indeed

and apple have created each model with just enough problems/bugs that with each release people are itching to "upgrade" so as to solve all their woes only to become part of the growing vicious cycle

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 22
*picks up ipod* "jeez, this isnt quite as solid as my.... OOOH SHINY!!!" *runs off smiling at his shiny new friend*

ya, its amazing how something shiny and pretty can become so popular eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back