I was walking to the video return kiosk at Hollywood video...
Sep 9, 2003 at 10:22 AM Post #31 of 53
Perhaps you could make amends a little by returning some or
all the money at a later date when finances permit eh?
You did say you kept the guys address.
finding $1500 is awfully tempting ,but it was not just a roll of bills.

If you are still unrepentant, how about returning the remainder that remains unspent?
You still got your books for nothing.
If the owner of the money has been thrown into desperate circumstance because of the loss, at least 50%[for the time being]
would go some way toward helping.
Who know,s that $1500 could have been for some loan shark because of those hypothetical maxed out credit cards eh?
You would not want to be responsible for broken kneecaps now
would you!

Setmenu

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
I agree that this was a morally poor decision on penvzila's part, but am curious to ask a question of whoever cares to answer:

Suppose you found $1500 lying on the ground somewhere in a money clip, sans identification. Would you pocket the money clip, or would you take it to the nearest police station as you should?

Do you feel this is more ambiguous morally than what penvzila did? I suspect there would be more of a tendency for people to pocket the money, particularly knowing it'll either sit forever in some police station evidence room or quite possibly go into the pocket of the police officer you give it to.

I once turned in a bank deposit that contained $2800 in twenties. It seem as if the person was planning to make a deposit at the bank when he had accidentally left the back in a shopping at the mall. Bag contained no identification or deposit slip indicating any form of ownership. I immediately turned the money over the to the Police department. Immediately after I did that, I was seriously beginning to have second thoughts of what I had just done. I thought to myself what a jackass I was to turn in the money in, I should've took the money and run. But none the less I felt good in believing what I did was the right thing to do.
The Police informed me that they will hold the money for 30 days in their lost and found department and that if no one come by to claim it then them money will go to me. 30 days came and went and I checked with the Police department to see if anyone had claimed the money, no one did and the money was then awarded to me. So in the end it does pay do something right for once and to be tempted.

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
** TROLL ALERT ** TROLL ALERT ** TROLL ALERT ** TROLL ALERT **

penvzila,

Are you lying? I don't believe you. I smell a ban in your (near) future).

See, Jim, with age comes wisdom. I'm with you on this one. I hope we're right.
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #34 of 53
If you truly didn't want to screw this guy (which you did) you would of spent money on his credit card, because he can dispute those charges. You did the worst thing possible, and took what could not be replaced, which is cash. And you think you did good? What morals do you have that you think any kind of stealing (taking what is not yours, rather than what you FOUND in his wallet WITH ID) is acceptable? What would your mother say??!!

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #36 of 53
Seriously, dude, return the money--you must have been in decent financial standing before you found the money since you were already planning to buy text books. Take the money out of your own checking account to replace the money spend on books and return it to the person along with whatever has not be spent.

Don't let this end up being one of those mistakes you regret for the rest of your life. What if the same thing happens to you right before you're about to order your dream headphone setup?

People have to look out for each other, help each other--that's what this forum is all about, right? I hope you correct your mistake.

Sep 9, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #37 of 53
ill have to agree with patrick. its bad karma, itll getcha.

Sep 9, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #38 of 53
I'm very much a believer in what goes around comes around.

When we lived in DC I once found a wallet on the ground beside my car at a shopping mall just before Christmas. It contained a fairly large sum of money, several credit cards and debit cards, etc. I took it home and called a number I'd found in the wallet and asked a lady if she had lost a wallet. She described it to me and we found out that we lived in the same townhomes so she just walked over and picked it up. She offered me all the cash but I refused and we were friends for the remainder of time we lived in the place.

About a month after that incident, I stopped by a teller machine to get some cash for a night out my wife and I had planned. Asked for $200 and received $20. I really needed the cash so I asked for $200 more this time got $5.00. My checking account was debited $400 but I had $25 to show for it. I called the bank the following Monday and the branch manager told me that that teller machine had balanced for the weekend. I told him my story and he said he'd look into it but the machined had balanced. Later that afternoon he called and said a women had come in to return $375 she had received in error. Seems she had withdrawn $100 and had received $475. I was glad. So what goes around comes around.

Sep 9, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #39 of 53
He lost his wallet and you stole his money. That's all there is to it.

You are a thief and if you steal even one thing in your entire life you will always be a thief.

I worked at O'hare Airport for a while and found a couple of wallets full of cash and cards. I always returned them to airport security and both were recovered by desperate travelers.

Imagine for a minute the absolute desperation that guy must be feeling right now about the loss of his wallet. Can you even fathom the panic this type of loss can inflict on a person? That **** was wrong and it's gonna come back to you in the worst way.

Sep 9, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Pielet
Lets see if penvzila makes any big purchases toward headphone gear in the future.

I don't see what's stopping him from doing so since it would seem like he will be getting a freebie because he would be using SOMEONEELSE'S money and NOT his own to pay for it.

Sep 9, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #42 of 53
It's low to do it, but I'm not saying no one here wouldn't have done it. Many people type and speak about ideals and morals and what not, but when it comes down to it they don't always act on what they speak. I just don't understand why you'd tell the world about it. Imagine if that guy happened to be going around the web and found your story out of dumb luck?

Sep 9, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #43 of 53
Imagine if that money was for someone else's textbooks/tuition, be it the gentleman concerned or perhaps his children.

Poor form.

Sep 9, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #44 of 53
That sucks, dokebi. That's also why many really nice people become bitter over time. They seem to get the worst of it.

As for the wallet, I would have returned it immediately, oh yeah, and without taking a huge amount of the person's belongings.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #45 of 53
penvzila, to be honest, i can empathize with you. However, i'm not sure if i support what you did. That being said, I may or may not have kept some or all of the money myself. I would have returned the wallet, certainly. But i'd have to deliberate on what I would do with the money. Chances are the guy is going to miss the money, and really, is it my position to judge whether he needed it or not? I suppose I would probably return it, however reluctantly. But i can't blame you for taking it. It certainly is tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back