I was walking to the video return kiosk at Hollywood video...
Sep 9, 2003 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

penvzila

500+ Head-Fier
...when i looked down,. There was a wallet on the ground, it looked like it had fallen out when somebody opened their car door. The thing is, there were 15 $100 bills in the wallet. So what did I do? I took 14 of them out, went to the Safeway post office, bought a Priority Mail envelope, and mailed the wallet, less $1400 dollars to the address on the driver's license. Now I know you're all thinking what a theif I am, but I figured with the four credit cards and a veritable wealth of personal info, I did the guy a favor. I mean, he even had his social security card in there, and a card with all his PIN numbers written on it!!! He's lucky I found it and not some identity theif. It is still blowing my mind right now that the guy not only had 1500 DOLLARS!!!! in his freaking wallet, but that he was so absentminded as to lose track of it!

I used $545.60 of it to purchase my college textbooks, and deposited the rest in my checking account. Needless to say I did not tell my parents about this.

So why am I reporting my pseudo-crime here? I want to hear if there are similar experiences. Ever found something of value and returned it? Didn't return it? What would you do if you did?

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 53
That's terrible. What if the guy needed that money for rent or food for his kids? I'd have rather returned it to him and taken whatever reward was given to me than take his money.

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Hajime
That's terrible. What if the guy needed that money for rent or food for his kids? I'd have rather returned it to him and taken whatever reward was given to me than take his money.

I have to go with Hajime on this one, that's just wrong...

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 53
that's pretty messed up. because a guy has 1500 dollars and 4 credit cards in his wallet says nothing about his financial situation.

i don't know what to say really...

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Hajime

I'm also with Hajime on this one. That is $1400 that was not yours, and he may have had more need of it than you think. Carrying $1500 in cash, yet having 4 credit cards? He was probably not in as good of a financial situation as you think. You don't carry around that kind of cash with your credit cards unless you have a financial problem with your credit cards (as in, they're all maxed out). Or maybe he has family in another part of the country that he was going to wire money to. Or maybe he paid his rent in cash since he didn't have checks. I didn't order checks until a year and a half after I got my checking account, I used either my check card or cash, so that is quite possible also. You should be very ashamed of yourself for that
mad.gif
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 53
The right thing to do would be to get a refund on the textbooks, take the balance out of your checking account and return the $1400 you just stole from this person.

Hopefully you jotted down the address.

John

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 53
Well, I'm not returning it and I don't feel bad at all. His financial situation is not my problem and he's lucky his wallet didn't dissapear. I have his address but I can't imagine ever contacting him.

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 53
I had $600 stolen from my wallet once, the wallet was returned though - all in tact.

The $600 was my rent money, I was unemployed at the time, it was overdue and I'd been eating 20c packets of noodles for a week to save the last bit of funds up before my dole cheque came in.

I had 20c left in my bank account and had to borrow the money from my mum - it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I'm guessing whoever took the money figured I must be rich walking around with $600 cash in my wallet, but I was simply making my way from the bank to pay my rent.

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 53
Yep,
that guy is lucky his wallet didn't disappear. He is also unlucky that 1400 bucks did disappear.
What a nice thief you were to return the stuff you had no interest in.

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 53
I would've definitely returned the wallet and the entire $1500, no questions asked! That person, as previously stated in earlier posts, who owned the wallet and all of it's contents might have needed that money for something important. That money might have meant to be used to buy medicine for someone who really needs it. Credits cards and indentification can always be canceled and replaced but the money you took is something he will never get back.
Even if I did do something as stupid and low as thid , I wouldn't be proud of myself in posting and boasting about it on a public forum site. If you ever get caught you can and will end up going to jail. You definitely didn't do this guy a favor, you only caused more trouble him. I take it that you are still young in age, I suggest you GROW THE **** UP and start acting mature!

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
Well, I'm not returning it and I don't feel bad at all. His financial situation is not my problem and he's lucky his wallet didn't dissapear. I have his address but I can't imagine ever contacting him.

do you believe in karma ?

what goes around comes around man .
just try to put yourself in the man's situation.

and try to remember this one when it is judgment time....

PS: bad thing to let evryone know about this too.....
: and put on your flamethrower suit...

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 53
I returned a wallet before. Guy lived in my area so I went directly to his house to return it. Jerk had the nerve to ask if I wrote down or used his credit cards and that it didn't matter since he cancelled everything anyway. I guess the 200 dollars still in the wallet didn't say anything about my integrity.
rolleyes.gif
The guy ended up grabbing the wallet and slamming the door on me. On another occasion I saw a lady drop a few bucks while walking. I picked it up and ran to give it back. She took the money, rolled her eyes and continued on without any word of thanks or appreciation. Kinda hard to be a good person with so many rude people everywhere. Did people forget how to say "thank you"?
mad.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 53
that sucks hard dokebi. the world is a crazy messed up place sometimes. i just have to believe that there are a few good people out there and that helps me get through life though. hope you don't let the rude ones get you down.

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by dokebi
I returned a wallet before. Guy lived in my area so I went directly to his house to return it. Jerk had the nerve to ask if I wrote down or used his credit cards and that it didn't matter since he cancelled everything anyway. I guess the 200 dollars still in the wallet didn't say anything about my integrity.
rolleyes.gif
The guy ended up grabbing the wallet and slamming the door on me. On another occasion I saw a lady drop a few bucks while walking. I picked it up and ran to give it back. She took the money, rolled her eyes and continued on without any word of thanks or appreciation. Kinda hard to be a good person with so many rude people everywhere. Did people forget how to say "thank you"?
mad.gif

dokebi ,

you did good man - just put it mind you did good for others and dont get tired doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back