I was disappointed with the PFE232, what should be my next high end universal?
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 23
Regardless of preference, it's difficult not to recommend the VSonic GR07. It performs remarkably well on all fronts, suffering only from a slightly hard and metallic treble, and a bit of sibilance on some tracks. 

Bass is among the best you'll hear from a universal IEM, with great depth, texture, and speed more akin to BA sets. Slightly above neutral in quantity.

Midrange is close to neutral, slightly on the thicker side. Would probably sound a bit dark if not for elevation in the lower treble.

Treble is the weak point, but is still quite good. Extends up high and is actually more refined as the frequency climbs. Slightly metallic in character, but still very clean and well-controlled.

Presentation is solid. Separation and layering is top-notch at the price. Soundstage is open with above-average width, though is wider than it is deep. Depth and layering improve when amped, but are noticeable otherwise. 

THD is among the lowest of all IEMs, so the sound is clean and free of grain and rather transparent for a universal IEM; you'll never  forget that you're listening to headphones, but they can sound quite life-like.

Build and fit are both excellent, and cable noise is nonexistent. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #20 of 23
IMO, I would suggest that you test out the Westone 4R. By adding an aftermarket cable such as the Silver Dragon cable, it helps to bring out the sound of the Westone 4R. Bass becomes deeper with tight punch. The slight veil in the lower midrange region is also gone. Treble extends slightly better. Clarity is also improved. Furthermore, the Westone 4R does very well with vocals. Coupled with the silver dragon cable, both male and female vocals sound as good and are energized. Soundstage is pretty wide and instrument separation is very good although losing out to UM3X. It does not really butcher low bitrate files but definitely when using low bitrate files it does not bring out the best these earphones can produce. The Westone 4R does justice in most genre of music. It's really a balanced and musical IEM.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #22 of 23
In the grand scheme of things the W4 and EX1000 aren't massively different, W4 a bit warmer maybe. I picked up the ex1000 years ago in a direct shoot off against w4 since I wanted to try a dynamic, and they're really good, but w4 is good too. I think the W4 has a more precise but smaller soundstage, whereas the ex1000 is a bit wider but less precise, but again it's been years.

Many will disagree but I argue it's never the bitrate, it's always the mastering. But the ex1000 isn't so outrageous trebly it will draw emphasis to flaws, it just doesn't nothing to cover then.

UE900 performs as well or better as other universal IEMs in that price range and are not hard on poor recordings, the sacrifice being some neutrality.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #23 of 23
A quick update (not that you need to consider the SM64). The Clip Zip drives the SM64 fine - even quiet recordings.

Some SM64 vs W4 thoughts FWIW. I wouldn't say either the SM64 or the W4 are lush but they both are quite smooth and easy to listen to for long periods. Between the two the SM64 is easily my favorite. The bass is a bit stronger and the sub-bass is better integrated with the bass & mid-bass. Both have nicely detailed highs, but mid range clarity and detail seals the win for the SM64 - leaving the W4 sounding somewhat veiled. The SM64 forces a wide sound stage (bad for good recordings but OK and even good for poor ones) and the highhat / cymbals are a bit tinny vs. the W4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back