I want to upgrade my wallet :(
Apr 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
You have now become my enemies! Damn you Head-Fi!!!!

I am now 16 years old, and since I was 7 or 8 I remember loving music, napster-era. I remember I was always a gadget-computer lover (some might say geek :p ) and when I was on the verge of buying a MP3 to replace my old non-MP3 discman I opened numerous threads in about 3 forums, and finally bought the "legendary" iAudio G3.
I don't know why, but I think my ears are two little for normal earphones and it makes them sore so I had to think of an IEM solution. That's when my romance with the EP630 (and more than avg SQ) begun.
Well that was that and a year passed, still very passionate about computers, hardware related topics mainly. I started to register forums that were overseas (until then I was registered only to local Hebrew forums) and I began to read about more things, like home theater devices and audio.
I registered to head-fi at June 06', but almost never actually entered the site.
On the summer of 07' I had a summer job and was finally able to purchase my long-awaited iPod.
About a year ago, I don't remember the reason, I started reading in these
forums and started to notice more the SQ and that's when I started buying original CDs and using lossless audio codecs. I had this little voice in the back of my head that I should buy a entry level can. I kinda ignored it, but after my summer job (08') payment, the voice got stronger and stronger. It didn't help that I was constantly reading reviews about cans and audio devices (DACs, Amps, sources etc) constantly. I thought it would help if I bought KSC75s at eBay, but I didn't listen to them very often so it didn't help. Finally, a month ago, I gave in and bought myself my first pair of real hi-fi cans, Alessandro MS-1s. I thought after I would have these I wouldn't have the urge to spend more money on audio products. How wrong was I.
I find myself constantly trying to find good deals on dacs, amps and cans.
The only thing holding me back is that I don't have a credit card, and my keeps my money (that's left).
I know some of you don't see the point of why I opened this thread, but wanted to share my experience and warn the people out there that haven't been infected by the plague, called "audiophila" (or Head-Fi :p ).

Thanks for reading,
Guy.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 21
When I was 16, I could only dream of getting good hi-fi. Head-fi? What's that? My father had two good hi-fi systems, but I couldn't use them myself at anything other than low levels, as if I turned the sound up, my father would become annoyed (he worked at home). Eventually, I twisted his arm, when we upgraded one of the systems, to buy me a pair of MB Quart 55X for AU$175. I used those for 15 or so years from my computers and his hi-fi. I inherited his old hi-fi and bought a pair of Paradigm Atoms. Then the pads on my MB Quarts wore out, so I started looking around here. Now, of course, I'm completely done for, but I had it coming, for a LONG time.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 21
Screw my wallet, I just want an upgraded bank account.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 21
Good job man, at your age I didn't have anything more than a cheap phono + speakers. :wink:

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good job man, at your age I didn't have anything more than a cheap phono + speakers. :wink:

Heck, I only had a transistor radio . . . it only received AM radio stations and came with a single earphone (hard plastic to boot).
Fidelity, what's that? But it started me as a music lover.

So instead of saving for college you are saving for an Orpheus?
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 21
I have about 6-7 years to college :p
Oh and BTW, my uncle is gonna bring me a turntable and a stereo receiver that was my father's. He gave it to my uncle when he started going to a university.

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 21
Get a black AE card
tongue.gif

I just worked 6 days a week during my summer break to save up enough money for my recent "high-end" cans purchase along with a few other things.

I don't go out much (Aerospace studies dictates I don't) during semester, I don't smoke, I don't drink much (though I certainly like to) and my car is economical to run, so it all balances out in the end.

Its pretty scary thinking about the amount of gear I've gone through in the last year and a bit, which is when I started making more and more purchases.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 21
When I was 16... I had a portable Panasonic CD player with cheap Sony earbuds. Listening to CDs burned from <128kbps mp3s downloaded from Napster. Still works. That means that that thing's turning 11 in a few weeks... wow. I feel old.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
free post! 1000+ yes!! lol

Do you feel special, I didn't even realiza it was my 1000th post till after the fact. I wonder if a jacket of power, or sabre of truth will fall down from the sky bringing me great knowledge and power if and when I became a headphone supremus.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
free post! 1000+ yes!! lol

Congratulations!

I thought of doing that for post #100, but then realized that was nothing special
tongue.gif

When I was 16, I was hunting for good headphones. The search led me to a $70 pair of Nexxtech cans that were ugly as hell, but sounded ok. What happened next changed my wallet, I mean life forever. A fried of mine stepped on the Nexxtechs, breaking them, but offered to pay for new ones (VERY nice of him), but also introduced me to Head-fi as a way of finding good cans (NOT very nice of him
tongue.gif
). I picked up some DT770s and its just been a downward spiral from there, at least where my life savings are concerned! I'm 19 now and have spent well over $1000, and can only see more purchases in the future.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 21
I want an upgraded wallet as well.
To go with the upgraded bank account...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back