I want to upgrade from my Klipsh S4's, where should I go?
Jul 16, 2011 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus

Hello Head-Fi,

I have had my S4's for around two years and like them but ready for an upgrade. I would like something that is had good bass, but is not thumpy. At the same time do not want it to be anemic where I have to use EQ to help that.

Any recommendation for $150 or less is great. I listen to a lot of electronica, blues, jazz, Latin jazz, and music like Steel Dan.

All my music is 728k FLAC at home (computer, creative external sound card) or MP3 320k (Sony E344 or Sansa Fuze+) for on the go.

Thanks in advance
RH

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 14
I've got the S4s too. I recently purchased the Brainwavz ProAlpha ($39) and I think they represent a significant improvement on the S4s. They have plenty of bass and do an extraordinary job of presenting each instrument on its own. I mean there is very little blurring of the different sounds and timbres in a song--its easy to pick out each instrument and voice, in fact its hard not to. And there is some kind of clear as a bell like quality to the sounds that I'm not sure I can accurately describe, just that the sound is very pleasing and not at all harsh, the opposite of harsh actually... They are even uber comfortable like the Klipsch. Makes me really wonder how good the M2 and M3 sound! The Pro Alpha is actually the same as the M1 but w/ more bass and a bit less resistance (20ohm I believe).

But if you have money to burn perhaps consider the M2. The M3 supposedly is a little less bassy  but maybe more extension--I dunno, just repeating what I've heard. I'm intrigued w/ the M3 because it's supposedly an imaging monster.

I'm sure others will recommend the VSonic GR07. I can't speak to that except it it sure looks good from this distance.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Interesting, I was look at the  Ety MC 5's but it looks like the are a little weak in the bass extension.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 14
Do you want a similar sound signature? The reason I ask is because you said you don't want something with thumping bass, yet the bass of the S4 is pretty thumpy IMO.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 14
I like the deep bass but something with a more refined low end.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #11 of 14
Neither a-JAYS or t-JAYS will be upgrade over S4. For $150 or less, you can get a Future Sonics Atrio MG7 from buy.com and that is one big upgrade over S4.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Neither a-JAYS or t-JAYS will be upgrade over S4. For $150 or less, you can get a Future Sonics Atrio MG7 from buy.com and that is one big upgrade over S4.

The Atrio MG7 is definitely an upgrade, but It was too difficult to achieve a proper fit for me.  I'm optimistic about the X10's though, being as I know there will be no comfort issue.

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 14
X10 is mid centric. It is still an upgrade over S4, but not a direct upgrade over the same sound signature.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
X10 is mid centric. It is still an upgrade over S4, but not a direct upgrade over the same sound signature.

I agree, but I don't think that you can compare the S4 to the X10 or X5 for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back