I want to try all iem's...damn u head-fi
Mar 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #16 of 20
I agree that the Turbines are close to the IE8's in sound signature, but there's a couple areas that the IE8's are noticeably better: 1) Soundstage- they have a much more expansive soundstage. It seems to be more circular and encompassing than the Monsters. Turbine's soundstage seems to sort of lie on a line if you draw it through your ears across your head. 2) Refinement- both are at about the same level, to me, on treble resolution, but it can be borderline harsh at times on the Turbines. Never so with the IE8's. They're so easy to listen to for hours on end, and this gives them more of that sense of 'refinement'.

No doubt the Turbines are one of the best bang for the buck deals around, but I find the IE8's a noticeable step above (and they should be for the price).

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just saved me some major money and hassle in the future. I was seriously considering the IE8 as the next upgrade.

Well, I wouldn't use my word as the final one. I just did some comparison listening, and the Turbines aren't too far behind the IE8s. The Senns have better detail and soundstage, no doubt, but it seemed the vocals were more up front with the Turbines. More refined is a good way to put it (the IE8s, that is). But I have more thinking and listening to do on the matter before I decide. My main IEMs are the Westone 3s, so I don't need two dynamic IEMs. One or the other is going, just can't make up my mind at this point. Plus, my replacement MiniboxE+ should arrive today, and I want to see how the IE8s sound with it (even though the amp will not be burned in at all).

Again, the Turbines are a very good value, especially if you can get/find them under the MSRP, though the Buy.com price is back up to $149 (guess they heard from Monster on it).

And I hear you on buying more stuff. Afraid this is the end of the line for me, until my stimulus plan takes off. Being self-employed can be stressful. I am going to finance the UM56 with the sale of either the Turbines or the Senns, and that's it.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I wouldn't use my word as the final one. I just did some comparison listening, and the Turbines aren't too far behind the IE8s. The Senns have better detail and soundstage, no doubt, but it seemed the vocals were more up front with the Turbines. More refined is a good way to put it (the IE8s, that is). But I have more thinking and listening to do on the matter before I decide. My main IEMs are the Westone 3s, so I don't need two dynamic IEMs. One or the other is going, just can't make up my mind at this point. Plus, my replacement MiniboxE+ should arrive today, and I want to see how the IE8s sound with it (even though the amp will not be burned in at all).

How do you compare the IE8 to the Westone 3? So far Dynamics haven't done it for me. The bass is nice but to me it kills detail and the slow nature of dynamics kills transients that a good BA can offer.

I already have what is considered a good dynamic phone. Do I want the best one?

Quote:

Again, the Turbines are a very good value, especially if you can get/find them under the MSRP, though the Buy.com price is back up to $149 (guess they heard from Monster on it).

I got it for free so the IE8 even at $250, if I can ever find it at that price again is still a lot of money over the Turbines at $0.

I think I should try a triple driver next to see what the fuss is all about. Everything I have has a single driver.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #19 of 20
Quick response is that now that I have eliminated the sibilance with the Westones (tri-flange modded tip), they deliver a preferred sound to the IE8s. Both are excellent, on balance, but the W3s have more of a reverb sound (can't explain it), more detail, and to me, the W3 bass is actually better than the IE8 (tighter, more accurate, but front and center). All I know is the IE8s are less engaging when directly compared to the W3s. Having said that, I also am investing in the UM56 custom sleeves for the W3s, which I believe will even improve their treble response, which would make them simply awesome.

But again, I am torn over which dynamic to sell and which to keep. Or, maybe even sell both in the long run once I get the UM56 custom sleeves, and keep the PFEs and the W3s.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick response is that now that I have eliminated the sibilance with the Westones (tri-flange modded tip), they deliver a preferred sound to the IE8s. Both are excellent, on balance, but the W3s have more of a reverb sound (can't explain it), more detail, and to me, the W3 bass is actually better than the IE8 (tighter, more accurate, but front and center). All I know is the IE8s are less engaging when directly compared to the W3s. Having said that, I also am investing in the UM56 custom sleeves for the W3s, which I believe will even improve their treble response, which would make them simply awesome.

I think the Westone 3 might be what I try next. I find detail and hologrpahic imaging more engaging than gobs of bass. Larry (HPA) and your preference for the Westone 3 and my preference for the PFE over the Turbine is pushing me toward it too.

Quote:

But again, I am torn over which dynamic to sell and which to keep. Or, maybe even sell both in the long run once I get the UM56 custom sleeves, and keep the PFEs and the W3s.

I know for a fact that the next purchase is either by the end of the year or next year. Hopefully I can get the W3 cheaper by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back