I want to try all iem's...damn u head-fi
Mar 25, 2009 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Spawn

Head-Fier
I have been coming to hea-fi multiple times a day and I can't stop. I have the v-mods bass freq that I really like for most music. I picked up the SCL4s about a month a go and they are ok I just would like for more bass out of them. Now I would like to try out the Monster turbines and the UE super.fi eb 5. I want to know if there is there going to be a big difference between the two? And is there a way to not where the UEs over the ears. And will I be able to tell the difference between the v-moda and the turbines? Do the turbines have more or less bass?

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 20
I hate to use this word, but I guarantee you will never want to listen to the V-Moda buds again once you burn in and listen to the Turbines. Honest. They are a very very good bang for the buck in-ear phone. So good, I am considering keeping mine and selling the Senn IE8s, which cost much more. Not saying the Turbines are better, but they aren't too far behind on balance. In fact, I'd say the Turbines have more forward mids than the IE8s, which are more bassy. So getting the Turbines would be a smart move.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 20
The more I listen to the turbines, the more I love them! If you like bass you can't go wrong with 'em IMO. Very fun too!

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to use this word, but I guarantee you will never want to listen to the V-Moda buds again once you burn in and listen to the Turbines. Honest. They are a very very good bang for the buck in-ear phone. So good, I am considering keeping mine and selling the Senn IE8s, which cost much more. Not saying the Turbines are better, but they aren't too far behind on balance. In fact, I'd say the Turbines have more forward mids than the IE8s, which are more bassy. So getting the Turbines would be a smart move.

You just saved me some major money and hassle in the future. I was seriously considering the IE8 as the next upgrade.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 20
I had the V-Moda Bass Freq in Bling Bling Black. They were on par with my Philips SHE9500s. I got the JLabs J2s and wondered where the bass was, so I still liked the V-Moda, which sounded good until I got my NE-7s. The NE-7s sounded great until I got my PFEs. My PFEs sounded great until my IE8 burned in. I then got PK3s, and they sound good, but really lack detail, bass, and treble extension compared to the IE8, but are still fun. My next step up is the ES3X.

Moral of the story...listen to oarnura and just buy IE8s!

Or, maybe W3s or se530s, which round out the top 3 universal IEMs (arguably).

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 20
ES3X + D10 ... and no turn back
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moral of the story...listen to oarnura and just buy IE8s!

I have the Turbines and was going to scratch the IE8 off my list after what Tstarn06 said. The turbines are good but I find them dark. If the IE8 is only slightly better then I really can't see myself spending the money for them.

Quote:

Or, maybe W3s or se530s, which round out the top 3 universal IEMs (arguably).

Those are on my list going forward...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 20
I want to try SE530s.
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Turbines and was going to scratch the IE8 off my list after what Tstarn06 said. The turbines are good but I find them dark. If the IE8 is only slightly better then I really can't see myself spending the money for them.

Well, I can't say how they compare with the Turbines, but I think they have as much treble energy as the PFEs with the black filters, maybe slightly more! I also think the IE8s have a little better treble extension.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the NE-7 treble (if you can remember)? I don't find the NE-7s dark, and the IE8s have better extension. The NE-7s start to drop off at 14KHz and are inaudible above 17K, whereas the IE8s seem to peak a little at 15K & 15.5K, and drop off at 17.5K, still being audible to me at 18K. The IE8 doesn't have flat treble response, but I don't recall the PFE having flat treble response either.

IMO one of the differences between the PFE w/grey and the IE8 is the focus of the frequency spectrum. It is all there for both, but PFE = treble focus and IE8 = bass focus. I guess you probably have to hear it to really know though!

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Well, I can't say how they compare with the Turbines, but I think they have as much treble energy as the PFEs with the black filters, maybe slightly more! I also think the IE8s have a little better treble extension.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the NE-7 treble (if you can remember)? I don't find the NE-7s dark, and the IE8s have better extension. The NE-7s start to drop off at 14KHz and are inaudible above 17K, whereas the IE8s seem to peak a little at 15K & 15.5K, and drop off at 17.5K, still being audible to me at 18K. The IE8 doesn't have flat treble response, but I don't recall the PFE having flat treble response either.

IMO one of the differences between the PFE w/grey and the IE8 is the focus of the frequency spectrum. It is all there for both, but PFE = treble focus and IE8 = bass focus. I guess you probably have to hear it to really know though!

The Ne-7Ms weren't dark but I don't remember the sound signature too well anymore.

I'll probably do my next upgrade cycle some where next year I think. We will have to see what the latest and greatest are at that time. No more spare cash for IEMs. My wife will kill me if I buy anything earphones too...
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

The Ne-7Ms weren't dark but I don't remember the sound signature too well anymore.

I'll probably do my next upgrade cycle some where next year I think. We will have to see what the latest and greatest are at that time. No more spare cash for IEMs. My wife will kill me if I buy anything earphones too...
wink.gif

The IE8s and NE-7s do have different sound sigs, as the NE-7 mids seem recessed compared to the IE8s, and the IE8s are warmer with better extension on both ends of the spectrum. But IMO both are not dark, which was my point!

Awww, come on, your wife will understand
wink_face.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

The IE8s and NE-7s do have different sound sigs, as the NE-7 mids seem recessed compared to the IE8s, and the IE8s are warmer with better extension on both ends of the spectrum. But IMO both are not dark, which was my point!

Awww, come on, your wife will understand
wink_face.gif

Uncle Sam wants a lot of money come April 15th... also the cars need servicing. Life always comes in the way of Audio.
wink_face.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Uncle Sam wants a lot of money come April 15th... also the cars need servicing. Life always comes in the way of Audio.
wink_face.gif

Yea, I hear ya. But the headphones should be a tax deduction as they are either for your side business
wink_face.gif
And the car is for that same business!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back