I want to learn guitar (again)
Nov 5, 2010 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
When I was in junior high school, I told my dad that I wanted to learn guitar. He bought me an Epiphone Les Paul and a small practice
amp. I was into it for about two months, but got discouraged. Guitar is hard.

So! I'd kind of like to pick it up again. I still have the guitar and amp. I'm into jazz and blues, so I'd probably want to take that route with my style.

What should I do? Does anyone play guitar? And if so do you have any tips? I don't think I'm going to take lessons, I'd like to just teach myself, so if you have a good learning book to recommend I'm all ears.

EDIT: I'm a drummer, so I do have a musical background. I was in the high school orchestra for two years and the drummer for jazz band for one year.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi, I play guitar and at first I played classical and did not enjoy or practice it that much but when I began playing steel string electric guitar I feel in love, and now I cannot imagine not playing the guitar everyday of my life.
I really believe that if you enjoy playing it you should easily be able to stick with and I understand it starts out hard but if you really stick with it, it will definitely be worth it.
I would probably start with lessons if I was you other wise you may never bother playing.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I think you should start cultivating the image of a guitar player before actually learning how to play.

The 1980s are bound to become fashionable again so you should try to get on the leading edge of the new trend.  Or should I say, new wave.

You are going to need to grow your hair out, then either have it permed or blown way up and puffy.  Alternatively, you could go mostly natural and learn to flip your hair while you shred on the axe.

Wardrobe-wise, give some serious thought to spandex.  Leather belts - preferably spiked - would be helpful.  As would some eyeliner.

Good luck!

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I think you should start cultivating the image of a guitar player before actually learning how to play.

The 1980s are bound to become fashionable again so you should try to get on the leading edge of the new trend.  Or should I say, new wave.

You are going to need to grow your hair out, then either have it permed or blown way up and puffy.  Alternatively, you could go mostly natural and learn to flip your hair while you shred on the axe.

Wardrobe-wise, give some serious thought to spandex.  Leather belts - preferably spiked - would be helpful.  As would some eyeliner.

Good luck!

Haha, very funny...

I personally think that a jazz guitarist would not dress or look like that.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 9
I can recommend you this site. It has a lot of useful info for a beginning guitar player.

Also if you have friends who play guitar you can learn from them. Someone telling you what to do and what not to do is probably still the best way of learning. (in my opinion) Whether it's a friend or a private teacher.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I can recommend you this site. It has a lot of useful info for a beginning guitar player.

Also if you have friends who play guitar you can learn from them. Someone telling you what to do and what not to do is probably still the best way of learning. (in my opinion) Whether it's a friend or a private teacher.

WOW! That's a great site. I really appreciate the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back