I want to get into vinyl.
Jan 30, 2007 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cid

100+ Head-Fier
Heyo

Yeah, I really want to get a decent turntable and speakers so I need some advice. After listening to my dads kick-ass setup I was amazed at how good it sounded! I want to feel that experience at home too! I love listening to headphones, but wow that was a completely different experience for me, it was the closest thing to a live concert that I've experienced.

The problem is -money-. So I'm looking for a cheap solution, some speakers and a turntable for as low as possible without sounding like -crap-. Think of it as like a poor mans introduction to vinyl.

Any suggestions? Also it would help if the equipment wasn't too obscure and ideally available in the UK.

I hope I'm making sense! Thanks for ANY and ALL help.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heyo

Yeah, I really want to get a decent turntable and speakers so I need some advice. After listening to my dads kick-ass setup I was amazed at how good it sounded! I want to feel that experience at home too! I love listening to headphones, but wow that was a completely different experience for me, it was the closest thing to a live concert that I've experienced.

The problem is -money-. So I'm looking for a cheap solution, some speakers and a turntable for as low as possible without sounding like -crap-. Think of it as like a poor mans introduction to vinyl.

Any suggestions? Also it would help if the equipment wasn't too obscure and ideally available in the UK.

I hope I'm making sense! Thanks for ANY and ALL help.

Lots of previous posts discussing such topics, but to give a particular total budget would be helpful.

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 10
Do some research into the Pro-Ject entry level line (specifically the debut Mk3). Very highly regarded in the hi fi press, and should be fairly easy to find a retailer that sells them to arrange a demo. Be aware that whatever amp you get either has a phono stage, or if not you'll need to budget for a dedicated one.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 10
You really need to define "cheap". You don't need to spend a ton to get good sound, but you do have to make sacrifices.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Look for used turntables from the 70s, particularly Dual and Technics. If you search ebay for items near your home, you can pick them up and avoid shipping. You should be able to get a good turntable for under $100. A cartridge and phono preamp will cost another $100 or so. See www.garage-a-records.com Hopefully that will fit in your budget.

See ya
Steve

Feb 5, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Onix X-LS speakers - ~200
AT440MLa cartridge - ~90
Turntable - used or new?
Phono - ???
amp for speakers - ???
Hunt EDA record brush - $20

vinyl is not cheap to get into if you are buying the whole system.... it's higher maintenance than CDs or FLACs....

what's your budget?

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 10
Hunt around for a used Rega Planar 2 or 3. They should be plentiful in your area and are getting affordable now. There are all sorts of aftermarket parts for them, so you can easily fix or upgrade everything on them.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 10
I got started on a Music Hall MMF-7 w/ Goldring cart.

It definately gave me a good taste of vinyl. See if you can find one used.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 10
My budget setup
Denon DP-15F+ - $50
611BE - $50
Pioneer SX-720 - $70
Paradigm Titan v4 - $200

a $370CDN vinyl setup that rocks! Look around for an older 70s Pioneer amp, they'll have a nice phono input already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back