I want to but the best netbook or ipad as music controller
Aug 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kiatchai

Now known as kiertijai
I have decided to rip my music into itunes (Mac) and play back music via HRT streamer through DAC and headphone.
I would like to use PC as another center . I just know that the new seagate HDD can be formatted and used in Mac or PC
at the same time . So I will use the music data from there, 90% of my music is in lossless file.  So I would like to ask
anyone opinion   which  netbook should i buy for this purpose or should I use Ipad?

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 7
There's a nice app that lets you use an iPad to control a Squeezebox. I already have an iPad, so am thinking hard about buying a Squeezebox. It looks like it gives you about the same functionality that a Sooloos does at a much lower cost. Also, I imagine that other similar apps will turn up for the iPad - it's still a new product. But a lot of them are out there and they would make a wonderful remote control.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Rowmote on an iPad/iphone/iPod Touch.

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 7
The ipad is not avaialable in thailand for a long time.
Then I may have to use the net book  : how's about the netbook gateway ZH7 vs Asus EECp or HP
any recommendation.?
How 's about the USB A to B to the streamer and the analog interconnect to the preamplifier?
May I use Cardas or the newly promoted wireworld starlight 5,    for the analog interconnect under 200$ which one will you recommend.
Do You use media monkey, foobar or XXhiend (some of my friend suggest XXhiend but i never use it but he insists that it is much
more musical than the media monkey, he also suggest me Puremusic over amarra/
How can we rip the new cd into AIFF or Wav file?
That's all the question of help for now?
thanks
Kiertijai

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm having a lot of luck with an HP Netbook running Ubuntu / Amarok. Going from the laptop into an external DAC I run it on battery, and with the solid-state hard drive the feedback is never an issue. Plus, last year's netbook is a hell of a lot cheaper than an iPad.

Also, if you're into this sort of thing and want to do the research, HP Netbooks have an unadvertised feature included in specific models: A SIM card slot and 3G antenna, though you wouldn't want that on when running it as a source (Or wireless, for that matter).

If you're trying to rip CDs to WAV in Windows, just grab dbpoweramp from CNET.

Best of luck.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 7
Found a new one today.  yTrack, an iPad app, will control itunes very well.  It shows album art and can sort by artist/album and more.

I got it going today, and it works with PureMusic running on my mac.  Like most the iPad apps, runs quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back