I want to build a 4 board balanced Beta22 but I need some help ordering parts.
Sep 27, 2010 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jazzDESIGNED

New Head-Fier
Hello all, My father and I will be working together to build this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/343869/let-s-build-krmathis-a-beta22/585#post_6955337. We do though need a manual to guide us through the building process, but still want to build it with all these materials:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/343869/let-s-build-krmathis-a-beta22/585#post_6955337. Is it possible to obtain one just by ordering the separate parts or must we buy a kit and the separate parts?

I am certain that more questions will arise as time goes by. 

Thanks a lot

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 19
You can order Beta22 kits at Glass Jar Audio.  However, they are just the boards and components - you will still need to source the cases, connectors, and much else.  It is also possible to order the components individually if you wanted to.

As for a guide, read the various Beta22 build threads here.  They're full of information.

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 19
dude the manuals are all over the forums and amb website. the way you post your questions already shows how much you have done your homework and researches. b22 for krmathis is one of the few very top notch unit build by several experience diy'er in the community. i suggest you think carefully whether can you acheive to the task or not.

even me and my friend took almost 8 months to complete something similar to krmathis build with tons of errors along the way. so if you dont even know where to look and start, think creafully

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 19
I wish you and your father the best of luck!
As you know I did not build my β22 myself, but fully understand that it is a major job - not for anyone new to DIY

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
I wish you and your father the best of luck!
As you know I did not build my β22 myself, but fully understand that it is a major job - not for anyone new to DIY

Hi krmathis, I really appreciate your visit to this thread. My Father has been into DIY since he was a kid and is hoping to get me building as well.

Thanks for the luck, I know we will need it.

Cheers, Tulesto

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 19
Look at AMB's website for all this info. Ask questions if you are uncertain with a part. If your dad is an electrician, then lucky you! You know how many people install components backwards because they're so new and have no one supervising them? Yeah we get that a lot.

Be prepared to spend months on researching the parts you need even with AMB's parts list provided. The M^3 and σ11 took me 3 months to ensure I don't miss or miscalculate/mismeasure anything by the time I order. You can imagine how long a B22 will take. You do not want to pay more shipping from electronic vendors just because you screwed up an order or forgot something because of inadequate research. Create the BoM in excel so you have everything you need in an organized manner. Order spare parts as well (transistors and IC's are common). Once you complete the BoM in excel, upload it here and we'll check it for you to ensure you have everything you need. Good luck and don't be haste!

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
dude the manuals are all over the forums and amb website. the way you post your questions already shows how much you have done your homework and researches. b22 for krmathis is one of the few very top notch unit build by several experience diy'er in the community. i suggest you think carefully whether can you acheive to the task or not.

even me and my friend took almost 8 months to complete something similar to krmathis build with tons of errors along the way. so if you dont even know where to look and start, think creafully

Hi deathg0d, thanks for pointing out the manuals. It turns out that I have already gone through them briefly with my father. I will be buying the items by days end. Even if it take double the amount of time it took you and your friend, this will be figured out. Thank you for your concern.

Ciao.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 19
@Lil' Knight

I may be new but I do know what I'm getting myself into. I've taking this semester off so the initial research that needs to be done, will in fact be done. Sure I am over-seeing some things -- mistakes are to be expected. This by all means does not mean I am not willing to research.
Quote:
Seems like "my-first-build-is-the-awesome-balanced-beta-22" is something cool that a lot of people love to say, but hate to do some research.

Quote:
Seems like "my-first-build-is-the-awesome-balanced-beta-22" is something cool that a lot of people love to say, but hate to do some research.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzDESIGNED /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure I am over-seeing some things -- mistakes are to be expected.

The question is, can you fix those mistakes? Or are you going to be 100% reliant on the community's good graces for troubleshooting?

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 19
It has been said many times before on this forum. The b22 is a hard first time build. The attention to the details will make experienced builders scratch their head many times over.

I like many say you should start off with a smaller project. Any of the Millett's are a great start.

Do you have the tools to do the work?

Like, Soldering iron, de-solder wick, solder, tweezers, clamps, DMM just to name  a few.

If you decide to go on. Good luck. This forum is a great help. The search feature can be your friend.

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 19
There's gotta be a  "rate head-fi user" button. so far you've the most disencouraging head-fi user i've met. Just kidding
biggrin.gif
. Unfortunately I will not be 100% reliant on the head-fi community. I may be 20% reliant or less - let's hope. 

Edit: this was directed at Beefy. It is still a joke and I really hope he didn't take it seriously... It would though explain why he hasn't sent another reply.

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 19
HOnestly, go for it. Put in dedicated effort and research, research and yeah research some more. Just be prepared for failure and don't give up. I faced similar skepticism nearly a decade ago when i embarked on my first ever DIy project which was far more ambitious than a B22. Took me two agonizing (but hella fun looking back) years to design and build it  (active 3 way speaker project). It is still going strong and my dad loves to show it off to relatives and friends who drop in. I did have a mentor who helped me in nearly every stage and fantastic people on diyaudio.com for issues with dealing in speaker design. Stay strong and stay focussed and you can realise it. There will always be detractors, but also be realistic in your own expectations and again i repeat, be PREPARED for failures along the way. We all start off (or atleast have wet dreams about it) in this hobby wanting to reach the stars on the first go. nothing wrong with it. You say you have your dad who will be helping you on this, you have the interwebs as a resource tool and there will be people willing to help you regardless of whether you ignored the "I told you sos". 

Make sure you get the basics right, which is safety, safety, safety. Read up on it, talk to people, ask questions before you start buying parts for any project.. 

Good luck with your project. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
@Lil' Knight

I may be new but I do know what I'm getting myself into. I've taking this semester off so the initial research that needs to be done, will in fact be done. Sure I am over-seeing some things -- mistakes are to be expected. This by all means does not mean I am not willing to research.

I didn't mean to discourage you but it really helped to build some smaller projects before going to the B22.
I had zero amp-building experience 6 months ago and started with the Millet Starving Student which is a great build for beginner. Two more amps were done before I decided to jump to the B22 which was a quite a straightforward build after I gained some experience. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 19
Another take on your proposal; building a working B22 is not *that* hard.
If you examine the threads and problems posted they are almost 100% errors in component identity, polarity or soldering errors.
If you can solder a reasonable joint and can orient the proper component into the proper holes, it will run.
The parts to build one are relatively expensive, but the number of components isn't excessively large.
The documentation is as good as it gets, there is none better.
I suppose that's a another way of expressing an idea that isn't voiced here much: If you can't build a B22, you
should start with a Cmoy, because you'll fail at that too but it won't be as expensive or spectacular and the turnaround is shorter.

That's my opinion as far as building for function. Casing and esthetics are a whole different matter..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back