I want more jpop.
Sep 10, 2006 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

stukovx

100+ Head-Fier
Recently got into jpop and became a huge fan of Utada Hikaru. I have all her albums(I think) and some of her videos(mtv unplugged being my fav). I just love her voice.

Anyway, besides her, I like Koda Kumi and that's about it. Reason being I don't know any others and a little afraid to explore.

Can you guys recommend me some nice artists(females pref) with some nice vocals. I'm more into the slow songs than the upbeat ones.

Sep 10, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 26
Well, if you're willing to wade through the teeny-boppers and japan-obsessed fangirls and fanboys, www.jpopmusic.com/forums isn't a bad place. There are a few people there with more informed opinions on JPop.

I'm also a big Utada Hikaru fan and like Koda Kumi. I'd also suggest looking into Nakashima Mika. I second the MISIA and Bonnie Pink recommendations. I also like Do As Infinity.

There really are tons and tons of artists worth looking into. Good luck!

Best,

-Jason

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 26
Ah yes, this is good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, let's see...

advantage Lucy
Swinging Popsicle
The Indigo
Paris Match (although not really pop, it's wonderful though)
noodles (earlier stuff is more pop, but it's all wonderful)

That'd be it for now, I'll post more if it comes to my mind.

~Tom

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 26
This may not be what you are looking for, but when I was living in Sapporo I found some really great Japanese artists -- they are closer to experimental and perhaps indie music. They are not the shojo pop type bands at all, but they are excellent Japanese bands. Tujiko Noriko is superb and a great female vocalist. I especially like her albums "J" and "28" They are both collaborations, so J's band is called Ratn, and 28 is with Aoki Takamasa. Both are very moody and intense, but with great beats and well done.

The other recommendation I would have is for Fleckfumie. They sing mostly in Japanese, but sometimes in English or German. Again, they are more experimental, with a lot of electronica etc.

Another band that is like a Japanese stereolab is "Gutevolk" female vocals -- upbeat electronica. In English and Japanese. Good stuff though. The album I have is "Suomi". Oddly, that is also the word for Finland in Finnish...

Finally, if you are feeling extra experimental, you might check out "Tenniscoatsu" The Tennis Coats. The album I have is "boku tachi minna da ne" They are rather weird, but interesting. The girl sings very slowly and in a high pitched voice, the music is very spare, sometimes sing-songy. It's in English and Japanese. It's some weird stuff, but interesting to listen to if only because it is a side of Japanese music that you would never see outside of Japan. I found all of these bands by talking to the hipster proprieter of a tiny hole in the wall record store in Sapporo -- Weird Meddle Records.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 26
Very cool, stuartr. I am going to be checking those artists out.

I'm knee deep in Japan... but the Jpop leaves me looking for more... interesting music. Most of the people I've met just tell me to listen to the likes of SMAP and Orenji Renji, or they are more into foreign music.

If you're into 8-bit music and that whole genre of poppy video game inspired stuff, definitely check out the Katamari Damacy soundtracks and this band: YMCK

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan
Very cool, stuartr. I am going to be checking those artists out.

I'm knee deep in Japan... but the Jpop leaves me looking for more... interesting music. Most of the people I've met just tell me to listen to the likes of SMAP and Orenji Renji, or they are more into foreign music.

If you're into 8-bit music and that whole genre of poppy video game inspired stuff, definitely check out the Katamari Damacy soundtracks and this band: YMCK

Thanks LobsterSan. I agree that jpop is not really my thing, but finding alternatives is really hard. Like you said, most people who are not into it are interested in foreign bands. I lucked out in that I went to this record store and saw a bunch of music I really liked, so I asked the guy: "What Japanese music would you recommend for someone who likes bands like Sigur Ros, Mum, The Kings of Convenience, Tortoise, Jim O'Rourke, Mark Kozelek, etc etc." He broke out a bunch of CD's and let me listen to them before I bought them. It was great.

I will check out the music that you posted if I can find it. I have not really heard much 8 bit music, but I would be interested to do so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back