I want a watch, not a piece of jewelry
Oct 1, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
Last time I looked up reviews on Skagens, they seemed like they had some QC problems with markers and hands just falling off inside the case.

http://www.reviewwatches.com/brands/skagen_watches.asp

I bought two Skagens recently, and I try to baby my watches...I hate having scratched LCDs. So I'll see how it goes. Still, I'd make sure to buy from an authorized dealer in case you do need warranty repairs.

The page must be down, I can't get it to load...That is the same problem I had with one of the Fossil watches I bought, after a few months 3 of the chrono hands feel off
frown.gif
Like I said this Skagen is about a year old now, so far so good. If it breaks I'd still probably buy another, there so light and comfortable.

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
How is an Omega Speedmaster not a piece of jewelry? It's also quite above the OP's set budget.

Well, it's only jewellery in that it's expensive.

But if you bought a Speedmaster Pro model, you are buying a direct descendent of the watch that landed on the moon and the watch that might have saved the lives of the Apollo 13 crew. If I can think of any high end watch that's NOT jewellery, the Speedmaster Pro would be my choice.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #33 of 64
As a watchmaker I say buy Seiko. Best watches under $300 that aren't Swiss IMHO. For $300 Seiko makes a great mechanical/automatic divers watch.

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Meh, depends on who you ask. A looooooooot of people heavily prefer Citizen to Seiko. And as for Tissot, yeah they were bought by a small no name company called Swatch, and you're right, it went completely to hell. They're still using saphire crystal, and that crappy ETA 2824-2 movement in their automatics.
wink.gif
I tell ya the quality has just gone so downhill.
evil_smiley.gif

Of course it's all opinion!
tongue.gif

What I meant is that Tissot isnt the prestigous watchmaker it once was - I guess i am a little allergic to the whole dealio with "buy an old respected brand and use it to sell lesser watches" thing.
And my post was about quartz movements - not mechanical ones, and as such the ETA movements are well respected!!
And of course i should have mentioned Swatch together with Seiko etc.

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #35 of 64
so it seems as citizen and seiko are the run away favorites...

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
Last time I looked up reviews on Skagens, they seemed like they had some QC problems with markers and hands just falling off inside the case. . . . Still, I'd make sure to buy from an authorized dealer in case you do need warranty repairs.

I've owned three Skagen watches over the past six years. The second was stolen. The first and third work perfectly and are still attractive cosmetically.

Perhaps there is an issue with Grade B stock or whatever certain "unauthorized" dealers might be selling. Being an empiricist, I have no choice but to recommend Skagen, based on personal experience, as well as stores such as Century 21, where I bought two of my Skagens for a pittance (the other having been a gift).

Having abysmally sensitive skin (which belongs on the buttocks of a character in a Victorian erotic novel rather than my arm) means the merest caress of a leather or steel band causes the back of my wrist to rise in red welts: the contours of the band are as apparent as they would be in a drawing (hence the term for that symptom, dermatographism). Thus, I must always avoid leather and nickel alloy, which reduces my choice in watches to those with titanium and titanium-coated bands and cases.

That's why I'm always looking for reasonable titanium watches in colors other than gunmetal gray. At the moment, I'm considering a Nixon Black SS Rover and one of these two refreshingly tinted iterations of Skagen fare, which would compliment the first Maui Jim ti prescription sunglasses I've ever found flattering or stylish, as well as my brown ti Chop Box 4.0 Oakleys and "piano-brown" ti Kio Yamato KT-236.

I always try on a watch in person before actually buying it. Many turn out not to be coated with sufficient titanium. I can feel the difference within a few minutes; the same is true of eyeglass frames.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #37 of 64
I have a Casio G-shock myself. Got it two years ago or so I think, I can't tell.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...k/MTG900DA-8V/

That's it. Solar powered, 200M waterproof, atomically synchronized (at night). I've dropped it hundreds of times, it's knocked up against who knows what, and the face doesn't have ONE SCRATCH yet. That's how well the metal case with rubber pieces protects it. I recommend this watch to everyone, I love everything about it except weight (4 oz, which is nothing to a big guy like me anyway) and the fact that it is digital, not analog.

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Well, it's only jewellery in that it's expensive.

Well, the price is what I meant. The primary reason for a buying a watch of that caliber at least imo, isn't to tell you what time it is. If you only needed an accurate watch, you could buy one of those hideous plastic Timex deals from Target. You're paying for build quality, stunning good looks, the heritage, and the pride that comes with owning a watch like an Omega or a Breitling.

To the OP, if you can get your hands on one of these puppies, I highly suggest that you jump on it. It's survived dozens of backpacking trips, the Na Pali coast, two paddling seasons, diving, everyday use, and a particularly nasty fall up on Haleakala. It's still running strong, and the glass is still scratch free! (Though I must admit, the band is getting on in its years) I'm not sure why Skagen abondoned this line for the slims, but if you can find a spare one at a dealer, you'll be very happy with it.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #40 of 64
Wow scrypt, I thought I was bad! I nickle and stainless steel cause no problems for me, it's just the odd leather watch strap that does exactly what you described. I have to go on antibiotics and some kind of perscription cream. The antibiotics are because it almost always gets infected. Yeah, that's a pretty picture for ya.

I'm really migrating to the swatch irony chrono mediums. I mean the Seiko is cluttered, and they're both quartz anyway, and I know the bracelet on the swatch is solid. Come on Citizen, make a mid-sized ecodrive chrono!
frown.gif

Speaking of overpriced, there's a Tissot T-race woman's chrono that's just beautiful, but it's just a weeee bit overpriced I think. Nixon used to sell a Chrono but I can't seem to find it anymore.
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #41 of 64
Skyline889:

Though it's a distant match, the current Skagen that reminds me most of yours is this one:

489ltmxb.jpg

If I weren't concerned about amassing too many of the same brand, I might have chosen this watch instead of the Nixon SS Black Rover:

exp_nixon_black_ss_rover_watch.jpg

Plainsong:

I've had to take cyproheptadine for my condition for a lifetime. Perhaps it would work for you as well. Certain side-effects (induces sleep) are useful, while others (increases libidinous drives) are not, and escalate one's chances of descending into a series of intensely pneumatic relationships. (Best to avoid the latter, though I suppose decent wedded foonts have rather fewer worries.)

If I hadn't had this condition, I'd have collected antique watches and frames, since they seem more correct to my aesthetic sense than any current fare. I still prefer Roman numerals on clockfaces, and, when suited, sometimes flaunt an old skool pocket watch engraved with the word Hallucigenia.

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #42 of 64
So, I'll be ready and willing, but then I'll fall asleep.... but hey at least I can wear any watch I want! Well, that seems fair.
evil_smiley.gif

I seem to be able to avoid it by simply avoid leather bands, and being wearing the ones I do have sparingly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now why oh why did Nixon pull the Starlet? You can't find it anywhere anymore.
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #44 of 64
I'm really enjoying my citizen Ti, eco-drive. Super comfey... one of the few bands/bracelets that hasn't pulled the hair out of my arm. If your sweat reacts to stainless in an unfavorable (stinky/itchy) way, the Ti is for you. I can't wear stainless watches all-day and all night. I have to take them off for at least a few hours or I develop a rash. This watch has been a godsend in that regard, I like to wear a watch at night so I can easily see what time it is. I wear glasses and can't see anything thats beyond 20 inches.

heres mine, pic makes it look kind of "jelly-bean-ish", its actually more angular looking than this in person.
B000I6H0W2.01-A2YTUYYI1PANGK._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59046453_.jpg

Ive been wanting to try an Invicta, might make a nice christmas gift for myself.
B0009P664A.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1119623440_.jpg

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #45 of 64
Good to know about the Citizen ti eco drive and your lack of dermotological reaction to it. Thanks for that.

Recently, I had a leer at an Invictus ti, which would have gone for an extremely good price -- it looked exactly like the one in your jpg. Unfortunately, the back of the case was nickel-plated steel; I felt it instantly and research verified as much. If you're allergic to same, take care with the Invictus line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back