I want a new pair of cans, unamped, <$200
Jul 21, 2006 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
The deal is, I'm planning on getting a new soundcard anytime now, see this thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...19#post2262519

I'm really at the very beginning of this audophile quest, with very restricted budget and knowledge. I want a pair of cans that will work great unamped, and not too expensive. Another problem is, I live in sweden, and you can't get just any headphone you want that easily.

Basically, what I'm looking at right now is something along the lines of:

1. Koss PRO 4AA TITANIUM
2. Sennheisers! Maybe HD555? Budget says maximum HD595.

Almost forgot this. I listen to a variety of music, but most is rock/metal-ish, almost everything based on some kind of guitar.

Remember the unamped thing (I can't afford an amp at the moment), and please share your recommendations!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: My current phones are Philips SBC-HP895.

- Syndrome

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 36
You want guitars?

You want Alessandro!

Check out the Grado/Alessandro MS-1!!

...George Alessandro makes guitar amps. He knows what guitars should sound like!

Yeah....and Grados' do guitars pretty good too.

Ms-1s work great without an amp, and they can be bought with either 1/8 or 1/4" plugs, and, they can be bought through the Alessandro web-site for the same price throughout the world.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 36
I vote used Sr225s or MS2s. Ms2s are a great value in the lineup. None of the Grado/Alessandro require amping but improve greatly when amped properly. Sr225s are also a sweet spot in the family. Id rather snag a pre-owned pair from the forums that buy something new at that price.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 36
So you both insist on Grado's?
wink.gif

I don't know why, but I just feel good with Sennheiser. Note that I haven't tried the 595's.

How are Grado's unamped?

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 36
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all Grado 'phones fare very well without amplification.

EDIT: And of course, most swear by the SR-225 as THE rock can. Mine should be here soon, so I'll be able to judge for myself.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJC
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all Grado 'phones fare very well without amplification.

EDIT: And of course, most swear by the SR-225 as THE rock can. Mine should be here soon, so I'll be able to judge for myself.

Well, the SR-225's are a little out of my price range :\
SR-60 and SR-80 has very reasonable prices. What's the difference between them?

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 36
I think I've made some more decisions after looking at some reviews:

1. Koss Pro 4aa is out of the picture.
2. If Sennheiser, then 595 over 555 (probably).

Therefore, I think this is between Grado SR60/80 and Senn's HD595. If no one recommends something else.

I still wish to know how the HD595's are unamped, if they lose a lot of potential or not
smily_headphones1.gif

On to something more detailed about what I listen to. I'm a big fan of Death Metal and Black Metal, but also most types of Rock and Heavy Metal. Trance/Techno and such are out of the question (not a basshead), but I ocassionaly listen to some electronic stuff like Röyksopp or Amon Tobin.

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 36
How much are the 225's in Sweden ? they are $200 here and you can usually find them on the FS forum for $150 or less.
How much are the sr60 or 80's ? If they are over $100, then you should probably get the MS1's

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 36
Another vote for the Alessandro MS1. I'm a rock man myself, and these babies bring out the guitars nicely.

They go for $99 USA and ship world-wide.
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

NOTE: The Alessandro MS1 are tweaked Grado SR125, but cost $50 less! They sound awesome without an amp too. Aso, it will take some time to "break them in" before they reach their full potential (otherwise known as "burn-in time" around here).

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome G
How much are the 225's in Sweden ? they are $200 here and you can usually find them on the FS forum for $150 or less.
How much are the sr60 or 80's ? If they are over $100, then you should probably get the MS1's

the SR225's are almost $400, new. I found only 2 retailers, kind of strange.

The SR60 on the other hand, is like $80. The SR80's are like $110.

And the Sennheiser HD595 are $205.

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 36
Wow, $400 new? I don't blame you then, that's definitely out of your price range. Twice the price I paid for mine.

I have the SR-60 right now and I really enjoy them, but I haven't tried the SR-80 so I can't speak about whether there are any improvements.

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJC
Wow, $400 new? I don't blame you then, that's definitely out of your price range. Twice the price I paid for mine.

I have the SR-60 right now and I really enjoy them, but I haven't tried the SR-80 so I can't speak about whether there are any improvements.

I read that the 80's are a little more bassier, but I don't know if they lack in something else that the 60's do better? I mean, if the 80's are improved in different ways without lacking something the 60's have, I guess it's worth the ~$25 difference in price.

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 36
Another vote for the SR60. I love these headphones for rock - aggressive and very forward-sounding. They're bad for classical but great for distorted guitars.

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 36
I'm thinking of something from the Audio-Technica line, perhaps something of the a500/a900 flavor? That is unless you are someone like me who does not have a good credit card in which I cannot help you. If you do however, then audiocubes.com seems to be a good choice to start from. If you look around though, you might be lucky and find a retailer that sells these things locally.

Over the two that you have chosen, though I would pick the hd555/h595. They seem to be a great starting can that seems to ramp up well with the source and amp that you may choose in the future.

*edit*
I meant a500 originally.

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 36
If you're from europe and want Grado than you have only 2 choices: Buy used or buy Alessandros. Grado prices over here are just plain crazy. Only exception are special phones like HF1, but they are no longer available from Todd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back