I want a new mp3 player
Oct 3, 2005 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Tomcat_ha

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Im not too familliar with mp3 players so that is why i decided to reg here and ask about what the best mp 3 player is that i can buy for what i want and price.

In november my dad is going to the US. In the US mp 3 players are allot cheaper than here in the netherlands. There is something like a 50 euro price difference in general.

First i wanted a ipod nano 4 gb for about 200 euros but i recently have heared that the ipod nano isnt that good.

I have about 200-250 dollars to spend. I am a fan of soound quality and battery life. Storage is something i think is important but not as much as the other 2.

Thanks in advance.
Tomcat_ha

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 16
Try an iRiver. Their flash players have excellent battery life, and iRiver sound quality is excellent.

Don't know which model would suit you though, so go to iRiver.com to search for one that you like.

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 16
The iPods may not have the sound you like, but don't buy the rep (and echo chamber) here about "sound quality". There is no DAP which is universally head and shoulders over the others in "sound quality" (thru headphone out). Although there is levels of quality, most of the brands you hear about here (iRiver, Rio, Creative, Apple, iAudio, etc.) all have competing players in the top level. Like headphones, there are differences and it depends on what you prefer (or maybe accurately what problems bother you most). Do you like a dynamic or neutral sound? Are you more sensitive to problems in missing bass response or unnatural 'processed' sound? Figure these and related questions out and start to narrow down which manufactures "house sound" you'd likely prefer. And of course think about which features you can't live without (power outout, line-out, good EQ, codec support, etc.).

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 16
So, for someone like me who enjoys a rich, deep sound with moderate highs, and detailed sound- and is on a budget (meanig no amps, no $100 headphones) - an iPod would not be the best choice? the player alone isn't much $$ but the SQ...would I be out of luck?

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 16
If by "deep sound" you mean a strong bass, especially with cheaper phones (guessing from the dollar limit) out of the headphone jack, then probably not. There's ways around with bass heavy phones like Koss PortaPros or KSC75s, but otherwise you may want to look elsewhere. I'm a fan, but one of the issues with the iPod is if it's not natively the sound you want its less than stellar EQ doesn't help.

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Look around for iPod minis. They're going down in price ever since they got killed. Also, Rio Carbons are a good choice, even though Rio has gone under. They're still avilable for sale, at least up here in Canada they are.

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 16
Update.

Currently im interested in the 20 gb creative zen touch. However since the ipod video is almost coming out. The old 20 gig ipod might get a lower price. If the price of the old one approches that of the zen touch i might buy it.

Oct 15, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 16
My sister had a zen touch. Worked fined but developed a lag when changing song, then there was the software problem.....In the end it got stuck with firmware problem where in the sales person said that it was a 'creative' problem. Lets just say I think you are better off to wait till apple releases the next Ipod and look at the price changes. btw, she returned the zen and got an I-river h10

Oct 15, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 16
I've had two Touches(20+40GB) with no problems.

Oct 15, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 16
I had an iRiver H320, a Rio Karma and a Chiba and now an iPod Photo 60G. I can say the Karma had the best sound with an EQ that is unparalleled. The good think and reason I went with the iPod is 3rd party devices. iPods have everything. If it dosent have it you can bet your butt there is a 3rd party part for it. Karma's had nothing, and the others not much more than that comparativly. I use the sik din for line out most of the time and with that it sounds like every other line out if not better. Karma only had line out on its dock, and the iRiver didnt have true line out as you could still control the volume through the LO on the unit I had anyway. My vote is go iPod. They hold their value, have more add on's, and iTunes isnt bad and is always updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back