I want a headphone that has the following specs
Sep 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

goodsongs

Head-Fier

[size=medium] Ideal headphones[/size]

[size=medium]
  1. surrounds the ear (not pressing on it like the Basic Bose
    1. no sweat
    2. when the weather is cold, protects the ears against the open cold air and winds
  2. Hard to break strong cords or better yet, no cords
    1. #1 reason why the headphone becomes useless is because the cord breaks
    2. cords are cumbersome
  3. Active noise-cancellation
    1. cars are loud when you are walking on the street
      1. you can't listen well to wholesome audio because of this when commuting
[/size]

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 21
But if it's in-ear that's fine too because the Bose nosie cancelling 15 headphone is too tight on your neck when you put it around your neck, and in-ear is lighter and doesn't make the ear hot in room temperature, while you can always wear a headband over your ears to make it warm.

My mom bought Bose 15 noise cancelling headphone from Bestbuy, saying she bought it at discount, at 220 instead of 300. But I still thought it was a bad deal because these headphones eventually get broken and when you accidentally damage the cord it's not covered by warranty but she argued that it is covered by warranty because she bought it from Bestbuy and not from Bose.
I have hard time believing that.

I remember I used to have the Bose in-ear one and the largest silicon piece provided good noise-cancelling, but the cord was weak and broke three times. 

So I guess the ideal headphone would be:

1. In-ear noise cancellation
  2. cordless
  3. mic and volume control

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 21
What's your budget because if it's anything below $300-400 it can't be done. IEM's might be right up your alley though.

Quote:
goodsongs said:

But if it's in-ear that's fine too because Bose hurts your neck when you put it around your neck, and in-ear is lighter and doesn't make the ear hot in room temperature.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HJE900-K-Zirconia-Earbud-Headphones/dp/B002R1MDQY

These will be best! They have a detachable cable and they are pretty good at isolation. Lets not forget these are much more portable then portable headphones.

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 21

[size=15px !important] My mom bought Bose 15 noise cancelling headphone from Bestbuy, saying she bought it at discount, at 220 instead of 300. But I still thought it was a bad deal because these headphones eventually get broken and when you accidentally damage the cord it's not covered by warranty but she argued that it is covered by warranty because she bought it from Bestbuy and not from Bose.[/size]

[size=15px !important] I have hard time believing that. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm this?[/size]

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 21

http://www.amazon.com/JBuds-Hi-Fi-Noise-Reducing-Buds-Black/dp/B000IG66VS

How much decibels does this block out? I want to know how it contrasts to Bose15, which I have. 

I guess what I want to know is, can I expect about the same amount of noise blocking as Bose15 with the cheap in-ear noise blocking earphones like JBud, etc such as these: http://www.amazon.com/Human-Toolz-Isolating-Headphones-Bundle/dp/B00413PELM/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3
http://www.amazon.com/MobileSpec-Earbud-Headphone-iPhone-Answer/dp/B002IY98FO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5

If not, then how much should I expect to block out, does anybody know?

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 21
So let me get this straight, because you think bose sucks( which they don't suck they are overpriced yes but they are decent noise blocking phones.) You think that 9-20 dollar passive noise cancleation will be as good as the flagship bose model?

Sorry I'm not gonna help you, you obviously cannot be satisfied, and in order for it to happen you'd need to spend so much more then this or just get rid of this whole idea all together.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
So let me get this straight, because you think bose sucks( which they don't suck they are overpriced yes but they are decent noise blocking phones.) You think that 9-20 dollar passive noise cancleation will be as good as the flagship bose model?

Sorry I'm not gonna help you, you obviously cannot be satisfied, and in order for it to happen you'd need to spend so much more then this or just get rid of this whole idea all together.

What would be a good alternative to Bose? (Good quality, and not as overpriced) 

Also My Bose 15 I noticed presses on my ears and gets them sweaty. It's not wide enough. Even though it goes around the ear instead of on the ear as the basic Bose does, still it presses because there's not enough space for the ear. 

But I really like the detachable cord, that way you don't ruin the whole headphone when the cord breaks as often does. 
What other headphones or earphones have detabchable cord?

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 21
If you broke that cord, you'll break any. Just get them fixed as the Bose aren't bad for the purpose. It's the best product they make. Sweat and over the ear noise cancelling (sealed) go hand in hand. Best cheap passive reduction would be something like an Etymotic MC5 with the triple flange or shure foam tips.

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 21
If you want something with tough cords and good isolation, then I'd go with goodvibes suggestion: get the MC5's. The MC5's have a seriously tough cord (apparently kevlar coated) with a 2 year warranty and noise isolation is intense. It will probably be a very different sound from the Bose's though.

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Does the 2 year warranty of the MC5 mean that they will replace it if you accidentally break it?

Yes. Etymotic has excellent customer service. If you have any problems whatsoever, give their customer service hotline a call and they'll probably fix them for free (they have been known to sometimes fix out-of-warranty IEMs for free as well). Isolation will be better than any active noise canceling headphone, and the moving-coil MC5 has more bass than any of their other IEMs. I have the ER6i, which I love, but compared to my dad's Bose QuietComfort 2, the bass is much lighter (but it's a lot cleaner and the mids and highs are SO much more detailed). I can live with that tradeoff, but some people can't. The MC5 should be fine for your purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back