Quote:
I want a good AMP and a good DAC for the HD650, Hole budget for them is $300'

And BTW will I need a power supply ?
Or do I buy it when I want to upgrade in the future

Low cost options
SMSL SD-1955 DAC, $100, eBay
Indeed 6922 tube headphone amplifier , $90, eBay

DAC Destroyer, USB DAC, on eBay for $60
O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier, works fine as desktop, $155. (used ones for less),

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 21
Jul 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
OK Guys listen
How about the Little Dot MK 2 II  for 136
Is it good ?
And I have question
Can I just buy the AMP and use it without the DAC until I save up ?
So that mean I buy the Little Dot now and after one month I buy a DAC (I am thinking about the SMSL SD-1955 DIR90001)

And will that be better than just buying NuForce Icon HDP Black - Open Box High Performance Headphone Amp, DAC and Preamp ?

How are you currently listening to them? Have you ever heard a tube amplifier before? 

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 21
I am considering the Little Dot because its a tube amp or something and I heard it works very well with the HD650
Also I feel like the Nuforce is more money for nothing you know, just because all in 1 I think

Would love to read some more opinions just to make sure

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
I am considering the Little Dot because its a tube amp or something and I heard it works very well with the HD650
Also I feel like the Nuforce is more money for nothing you know, just because all in 1 I think

Would love to read some more opinions just to make sure

Quote:
Well no I have never heard one before, only saw on the internet but I am just giving my opinion by reading the impressions written by those who tried it

So you think the little dot is not good ?

I have owned plenty of little dot products, and the MKIII with the HD650 was a pairing I am still particularly fond of. They're wonderful, sturdy units that are a great introduction to tube and tube rolling : ) .  Just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into. Some people LOVE tube amps and some HATE them. 

How are you currently listening to the HD650? One thing to consider is the little dot is an amplifier. If the original sound it is amplifying isn't that great, the amp itself won't sound too great either. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

I have owned plenty of little dot products, and the MKIII with the HD650 was a pairing I am still particularly fond of. They're wonderful, sturdy units that are a great introduction to tube and tube rolling : ) .  Just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into. Some people LOVE tube amps and some HATE them. 

How are you currently listening to the HD650? One thing to consider is the little dot is an amplifier. If the original sound it is amplifying isn't that great, the amp itself won't sound too great either. 

Well I haven't receive it yet and I have never tried it before
tbh this is my first expensive headphone to buy, All I bought before was the $5 garbage
So I think anything will sound great to me lol

Anyway
I am thinking of buying the MK II which is the younger brother of the MK III
Will I need to buy the MK III or the MK II will be enough ?

And do you mean by "One thing to consider is the little dot is an amplifier. If the original sound it is amplifying isn't that great, the amp itself won't sound too great either." is that I will need a DAC as fast as possible ?
Or you mean in general if I didnt like the headphone the amp wont make it sweeter ?

btw my motherboard is new "asus p8p67 pro" so I think I can live without the DAC for a month dont you think so ?

Thanks guys I really appreciate your time

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
Well I haven't receive it yet and I have never tried it before
tbh this is my first expensive headphone to buy, All I bought before was the $5 garbage
So I think anything will sound great to me lol

Anyway
I am thinking of buying the MK II which is the younger brother of the MK III
Will I need to buy the MK III or the MK II will be enough ?

And do you mean by "One thing to consider is the little dot is an amplifier. If the original sound it is amplifying isn't that great, the amp itself won't sound too great either." is that I will need a DAC as fast as possible ?
Or you mean in general if I didnt like the headphone the amp wont make it sweeter ?

btw my motherboard is new "asus p8p67 pro" so I think I can live without the DAC for a month dont you think so ?

Thanks guys I really appreciate your time

The MKII will definitely be fine. Just pointing out that they will sound similar and you will love them. 

I meant that an amplifier only passes the original sound through it. If you plug some junky radio shack thing into it, it won't sound that great. Your motherboard will certainly be fine for now, but you may think about getting a DAC in the near future. If you're running these headphone solely off of a computer, you may think about getting an Asus Xonar STX unit. They do quite well with bigger cans. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

The MKII will definitely be fine. Just pointing out that they will sound similar and you will love them. 

I meant that an amplifier only passes the original sound through it. If you plug some junky radio shack thing into it, it won't sound that great. Your motherboard will certainly be fine for now, but you may think about getting a DAC in the near future. If you're running these headphone solely off of a computer, you may think about getting an Asus Xonar STX unit. They do quite well with bigger cans. 

Indeed I will use only on my computer

Do you mean I buy the asus xonar and operate it with the Little Dot as an upgrade in the future, or instead of them now ?

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
Indeed I will use only on my computer

Do you mean I buy the asus xonar with the Little Dot as an upgrade in the future, or instead of them now ?

Honestly, either one would work. It really comes down to your budget. If you don't have the ability to buy a DAC in the near future, I'd recommend the Xonar first. It has a wonderful and powerful headphone amplifier built into it, and fairly solid DAC built into it, and a higher quality digital output (if you want to get a higher quality DAC later, you'll appreciate this). There's a lot of reviews around here on it. 

Understanding a DAC can be a little confusing at first, and I think you may be a little confused. Your music is stored in a digital format. To listen, it is converted to an analog signal (Digital to Analog Converter). This can happen in large boxes, or as simple as a single chip in a larger device. This step is rather important. If the DAC produces a good sound, the amplifier enhances that sound. If the DAC produces a mediocre sound, the amp enhances that, but it will not fix the low quality. For example, if the DAC produces a hiss or a hum, the amplifier will produce that hiss and hum as well. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Honestly, either one would work. It really comes down to your budget. If you don't have the ability to buy a DAC in the near future, I'd recommend the Xonar first. It has a wonderful and powerful headphone amplifier built into it, and fairly solid DAC built into it, and a higher quality digital output (if you want to get a higher quality DAC later, you'll appreciate this). There's a lot of reviews around here on it. 

Understanding a DAC can be a little confusing at first, and I think you may be a little confused. Your music is stored in a digital format. To listen, it is converted to an analog signal (Digital to Analog Converter). This can happen in large boxes, or as simple as a single chip in a larger device. This step is rather important. If the DAC produces a good sound, the amplifier enhances that sound. If the DAC produces a mediocre sound, the amp enhances that, but it will not fix the low quality. For example, if the DAC produces a hiss or a hum, the amplifier will produce that hiss and hum as well. 

Ohh I got it
So its like a bottle-neck right ?

I think I will buy the amp now, and in a month or so I will buy a DAC, I haven't decide which DAC will I buy yet.

Quote:
If you don't mind using firewire connection, I'd say look at the AudioFire 2

I don't mind using a firewire, but is this an amp or a DAC or what ?

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
 ... I don't mind using a firewire, but is this an amp or a DAC or what ?

It’s a firewire sound card that bypasses you’re onboard soundcard and offers a lot of output options. Those that own it tell me it drives the hd650s fine but it’s not an amp. I don’t own one and only recommended because it falls below your budget, I drive my HD650s with a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back