I want a dark and bassy portable headphone amp
Apr 23, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #17 of 24
I have heard all of the portable amps so far mentioned in this thread and then many more. I have my favorite and IMO I have valid reasons. However before I say which I will state that only each user can truly make that call.

We all hear differently plus we all have different sources, headphones, music, and expectations of what is good and what is bad. Thus it is not possible to answer your question, the best we can do is state what is best for each of us.

My top two favorite portable amps are made by a company that right now has a huge back log and has not been very responsive to its customers. My third favorite amp is of person witht the dubious ability to also not deliver on the promise and has taken money from customers, it is this third favorite amp that IMO has the best bass boost implementation. Notice I have not mentioned either company because of their poor customer service.

My next amp would be the inexpensive MiniBox-E+. Superb little amp, inexpensive and it allows op-amp rolling. Next would be the Voyager, contrary to Vicky's experience I find it is a very nice amp, however I did not care for the "contour" switch which adds to much bass.

As an altenative I would suggest one of the best portable amps ever made the SR71. It does everything well and it has a level of consistency other units do not possesss. The TTVJ Millet is a very nice sounding unit but the tube pinging drove me nuts and I sold it, if for a transportable use then it might just work but not for truly transportable implementation.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry! Hd580, which has a bit of bright bite to my ears. i know some consider them warm, but I dont. i consider px100 warm, not hd580.

I used to have the same problem with my HD580, and I don't suggest it can be solved only by the use of an amp.

What source equipment are you using, PC, CD player, or ? Where is the music coming from, a CD, streaming from the internet, or ? Are you able to EQ your HD580? And what is your budget for solving this problem?

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #19 of 24
Ah yes, that would be the dreaded Ipod through a LOD. If it's bass boost implementation wasn't so horrid with distortion, there wouldnt be such a desperate cry for an amp with one.

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #22 of 24
I'd say ask a DIYer to build a CMOY with PPA (and LISA-III) style bass-boost. It's out of the signal path and added in feedback loop. Would be cheap too
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutbutterjam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iBasso P2 is really not bad, tried it before. But I would want to caution you on your statement. You really wouldn't want dark sound without detail. Maybe its best you tried out the stuff 1st.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say ask a DIYer to build a CMOY with PPA (and LISA-III) style bass-boost. It's out of the signal path and added in feedback loop. Would be cheap too
wink.gif

Do you realise you are responding to an almost seven month old thread?? Better late than.............

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back