I want a balanced DAC with USB input, suggestions please
Oct 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #16 of 23
I don't think there's anything really wrong with PCM270x/PCM290x, especially with an OS DAC. Yes, there's the 48kHz restriction, but most listen to CDs, not DVD or SACD.

I do agree with not restricting yourself to a DAC that has built-in USB conversion (as basically no DAC accepts USB natively), and use any DAC you want with an external USB to S/PDIF converter.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #17 of 23
Of course there is nothing wrong with PCM270x, its just in terms of jitter, they're not as good as decent Coax or Optical connections. So by using PCM270x USB inputs, you won't get the full potential of your DAC. PCM270x are good enough for entry-level or budget audio DACs, but it will cripple midrange or highend DACs. Even on my Compass, which is barely midrange, Coax input is better than USB input. At ~$700 level DAC, these differences would be even more apparent. With Buffalo32, PCM270x will make it cry.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #20 of 23
Sorry for the late reply, but I'am going to buyt a DACMagic and a USB to Optical converter. I will have them in a month or whenever I get taxes back..

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there are any DACs at ~$700 that have good USB inputs. You'll have to step up to $1000+ territory. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely great DACs for ~$700, its just their USB input is nothing special. Almost all of them use crappy PCM270x implementations, which is subpar to a decent Coax or Optical input. Instead, just pick any DAC at that price range you like, and use some USB-to-SPDIF converter, which can give excellent low jitter performance on the cheap. This way, you have better selection of DACs, since you don't restrict yourself to just the ones with USB input, and you also have much better USB performance by avoiding using DACs with PCM270x USB inputs.

I agree with this from my own experience. My Cambridge dacmagic sounds much much better after i got the Musiland USD1. I was using the dacmagic on straight usb before i got the Musiland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back