I wanna by a 19" LCD, Need recommendation!! Thanks
Feb 4, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 49
Look for a monitor with:

Decent contrast ratio: 500:1 is fine
Resolution: Personal preference, but 1280x1024 is minimum for a 19"
Response Time: Lower is better. 16ms is just about the best you can get now, definately look for it
Analog vs. Digital: Look for a LCD monitor with a DVI connector (not analog, which is a D-SUB connector). This helps your overall image quality (so your image is digital, and does not get converted to analog and back to digital by the video card and monitor).

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
Look for a monitor with:

Decent contrast ratio: 500:1 is fine
Resolution: Personal preference, but 1280x1024 is minimum for a 19"
Response Time: Lower is better. 16ms is just about the best you can get now, definately look for it
Analog vs. Digital: Look for a LCD monitor with a DVI connector (not analog, which is a D-SUB connector). This helps your overall image quality (so your image is digital, and does not get converted to analog and back to digital by the video card and monitor).

Thanks for your help!!
Could you tell me how about the "Brightness: 220 cd/m²"? Whether is it good enough or little lower?

Thanks again

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 49
I have two words for you "Response Time"

If you plan on doing ANYthing beside using Windows with this, ESPECIALLY gaming you need a low response time. 16ms is good. I would seriously base my decision on this alone.

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by llmobll

If you plan on doing ANYthing beside using Windows with this, ESPECIALLY gaming you need a low response time. 16ms is good. I would seriously base my decision on this alone.

Any recommendations with this feature? Thanks!

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by llmobll

Thanks for your help!

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 49
Personally, I always thought there was a big difference in picture quality between analog and digital connections. So, you may want want to look for a monitor that has a DVI input. Of course, you also need a video card with a DVI output -- which, most do, but it's best you check anyway. Unfortunately, monitors with DVI inputs tend to be around $30 or $50 dollars more expensive than their analog-input-only counterparts.

Contrast ratios are a bit of a joke. Manufacturers tend to take enormous leeway in writing that part of the specification. So, a monitor with a supposed 700:1 contrast ratio may have an actual ratio of only 400:1. The manufacturers really do exaggerate that much.

Even though there a lot of different brands for flat panel monitors, there are actually only a very few number of manufacturers that actually produce the panels that go into the monitors. So, monitors across manufacturers that use the same panel can have very different price points (which are due to differences in bezels, stands, name brand, etc.). If you're willing to do the googling, you can find a lesser name monitor that uses the exact same panel as the better brands.

"Brightness: 220 cd/m²" is fine. The larger the screen size the lower the brightness cd/m² tends to be because of the increased area.

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hello
Personally, I always thought there was a big difference in picture quality between analog and digital connections. So, you may want want to look for a monitor that has a DVI input. Of course, you also need a video card with a DVI output -- which, most do, but it's best you check anyway. Unfortunately, monitors with DVI inputs tend to be around $30 or $50 dollars more expensive than their analog-input-only counterparts.

Contrast ratios are a bit of a joke. Manufacturers tend to take enormous leeway in writing that part of the specification. So, a monitor with a supposed 700:1 contrast ratio may have an actual ratio of only 400:1. The manufacturers really do exaggerate that much.

Even though there a lot of different brands for flat panel monitors, there are actually only a very few number of manufacturers that actually produce the panels that go into the monitors. So, monitors across manufacturers that use the same panel can have very different price points (which are due to differences in bezels, stands, name brand, etc.). If you're willing to do the googling, you can find a lesser name monitor that uses the exact same panel as the better brands.

"Brightness: 220 cd/m²" is fine. The larger the screen size the lower the brightness cd/m² tends to be because of the increased area.

Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...014-063&depa=0

How about BenQ FP931 ?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Any recommendations with this feature? Thanks!

Although this isn't a 19" this is a great monitor for the $$: Viewsonic vp171b

Viewsonic puts out some quality stuff. This is the monitor my roomate bought for about $400 a while ago, with a 12ms resonse time it is an absolute dream for gaming. I envy him for this reason only.

-dan

Edit before everyone asks: He got it through Dell or some company, i dont' recall and he's not here at the moment, he had 2 coupons he used that were stackable and got a LARGE discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back