I tried vinyl, but I can't see the hype.
Feb 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

pHEnomIC

100+ Head-Fier
I am wondering what the hype is about vinyl. 

Pros:
I dove into it and I can definitely tell that it has different sound characteristics and fidelity.
I love how the bass is very rich and controlled, specifically when listening to a bass guitar, it actually sounds like one through an amplifier live. (Was pretty impressed with a newer rusko record, didn't expect it to have the bass it did)
I do notice the highs well too, a jazz record I have has some lifelike cymbal sounds most notably.

Cons:
It just seems so inconvenient, by the time I am actually enjoying a vinyl, its time to turn it over or switch.
I bought about 50 records so far, a little bit of everything with some stuff I like, but Im already bored.
A lot of the records have 4 versions of the same song, whats up with this? Especially electronics ones. I don't need 4 versions of the same song.
I don't like the static, hiss, etc. Even with a clean record, this still happens time to time.

Any input?  I just feel like it is a lot of hassle, the sound quality is great, but its a pain in the butt.

I have a pretty good setup:
Technics 1200, shure m97xe cartridge, all setup/tweaked properly.
A decent preamp.
Magnavox 8802 tube amp all restored
Klipsch forte's recapped and new tweeters.

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 32
4 versions of the same song ? I'm a relic from the age of vinyl, but I dont recall that happening with anything other than dance music. What was more annoying, IMO, were bands who rehashed the same song on multiple albums - not live versions or remixes, the exact same bloody track.

Are you reading this, Deep Purple ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Purple_discography

Even with Ozzie's fried brain up front, Sabbath managed to release new tunes with each album.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 32
Start hunting used vinyl. I don't know about the repeated songs (can't think of any discs I have that do this), but go to junk stores and buy anything interesting.

There can be some noise depending on how clean a record is and what condition it is in. I guess I've gotten used to it. I have some less than pristine records, but love the music so much that it doesn't bother me. Also, I became a lot happier once I started running a tube phonostage. Maybe it's me, but I really love the way they work with vinyl.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 32
12 inches singles mixed for DJs almost always have multiple versions of tracks done in different styles, that's what they want. Vinyl isn't for everyone.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 32
  phpHEnomic, Vinyl is a medium, IMO  for ones main system, at least not my headphone system. If your main systems equipment (that includes damn near every) T.T., arm, cartridge, phono pre-amp and phono cable to your phono stage,and this equipment gels together you are almost there. That's asking a lot for just using vinyl as your playing back source. RIGHT! Then you must take in consideration all of your other equipment,including your rooms acoustics, Amps, pre-amps, power supplies/conditioners and most importantly your speaker placements.....Now I've left out many other tweaks and many other important pcs.of equipment needed to get the best sound from your vinyl recordings. One being, you should have a good vacuum record cleaner, and all the other gear in this main system that some even use for disc playback, such as cables, power cords, etc.etc. I'll stop there and cut to the chase..IMO with a dedicated room set up just for our hobby for "listening to recorded music"  I can not get close to the same sound from disc/SACD/ or DVD-audio disc then I get from playing my main system on my Vinyl Rig..Let me start with the sound stage, the imaging the fullness from top to the very bottom frequencies, they all ring/sound so true to actual mix, IMO....Yes even with the best recorded albums you'll have your pop/s or have to get up and turn or change Lps, but to me the time it takes to do this is so worth it in the SQ! I hear......That's why I only have vinyl playback in my main system with it's dedicated room...And to be totally truthful my vinyl rig and all the rest of that rooms equipment is at least 10 to15 times what I have in my headphone system and it's "Top Shelf" stuff.. Now don't get me wrong and I'm not bragging about my gear but you guys must remember I'm 58 yrs old and collecting and listening to music and the play back of recorded music is and has been my only real hobby or passion in life, as far as where I spend my hard earned $$$$$....Maybe I'm all wet, because as you said,   pHEnomic, I don't love changing a outstanding 45rpm LP as soon as I have to. But for me and my system and my other vinyl buddies wouldn't change formats for the world... Now many members here will argue, bitch. and say what a jerk I must be but that's OK, because it just takes one new person who really never has heard a great vinyl playback system JAW to hit the floor or look at me with that "what the ----" after listening to a well recorded LP and that huge smile appears on my face and starts my feet a-tappin'........what more can I say......PS. I do like the fact that I'm holding the LPs cover that's readable (at my age) and the cover artwork and recording facts are in my hands.....To each their own, right.....RIGHT......

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 32
That's why I will never return to vinyl again.  :)  I used to clean my vinyl using VPI 16.5 and Discwasher Zerostat anti-static gun.

I need to get me a VPI 16.5, so damn expensive though :p

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 32
I was soooo glad when CD's appeared, for a multitude of reasons But it was mostly the snap, crackle, and pop of LP's that annoyed me the most, making CD's an attractive alternative. I still have my 32 year old Sony PS-4750. It's fitted with a Shure V15V-MR. It sounds real good, but I can't say that LP's, even minus the snap, crackle, and pop, sound better than CD's. So, today, I use the TT mostly to digitize those LP's in my collection, which will not be replaced with CD's, either because the material is not available on CD, or  worth the expense of replacing with a CD.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 32
They all have their pros and cons. Nothing in this world is perfect.

The best thing about vinyl:

Bargain hunting of cheap records at flea markets/thrift stores and discovering surprises. This is probably the best thing of all about vinyl if you love older music. After all, it's about the music, not gear. Sure the sound quality is generally better than digital but I find so much joy in making such discoveries even if the record is scratched and sounds bad because I have learned something  new in a musical discovery and it has enriched my music life. If I really love it, I will buy the album on CD or a clean vinyl copy in better condition.

Used CD hunting just is not the same for many lovers of older music.

Annoying thing about vinyl:

You are not fully relaxed in a way because you have to remember to flip the damn record and sometimes the noise can be a major buzz kill for some musical moments.

A vinyl record is like a beautiful woman. Yes she has flaws but the gorgeous moments can be so fruitful. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 32
Well, I hate to nitpick, but you state the pros and they all have to do with an enjoyable type of sound that you likely won't get with other sources, but only one of your cons has to do with SQ (crackle and pops).  Gripes seem to be with offerings and operation.  I'd agree, it takes some work to find those great LPs, and yes, I was a DJ for awhile, so I understand what you are saying about multiple mixes, but those are singles you are buying, not full-length LPs.

So I think you've nailed it, some of us prefer the vinyl sound, but will "work" a little harder to get it, i.e. flipping records, keeping things clean, adjusting your rig, etc.  I love the convenience and clarity of CDs, but some albums are poorly produced or just too harsh to listen to on CD.  When I buy the same album on vinyl however, it often solves those issues.

Record noise can also be addressed with an alternate cartridge.  I have not hear the m97xe, but for used or worn records I use a Denon DL-160 that has a very sharp stylus that is very easy on the grooves and almost makes record noise disappear.

So, probably not "hype" but a matter of taste.

Quote:
I am wondering what the hype is about vinyl. 

Pros:
I dove into it and I can definitely tell that it has different sound characteristics and fidelity.
I love how the bass is very rich and controlled, specifically when listening to a bass guitar, it actually sounds like one through an amplifier live. (Was pretty impressed with a newer rusko record, didn't expect it to have the bass it did)
I do notice the highs well too, a jazz record I have has some lifelike cymbal sounds most notably.

Cons:
It just seems so inconvenient, by the time I am actually enjoying a vinyl, its time to turn it over or switch.
I bought about 50 records so far, a little bit of everything with some stuff I like, but Im already bored.
A lot of the records have 4 versions of the same song, whats up with this? Especially electronics ones. I don't need 4 versions of the same song.
I don't like the static, hiss, etc. Even with a clean record, this still happens time to time.

Any input?  I just feel like it is a lot of hassle, the sound quality is great, but its a pain in the butt.

I have a pretty good setup:
Technics 1200, shure m97xe cartridge, all setup/tweaked properly.
A decent preamp.
Magnavox 8802 tube amp all restored
Klipsch forte's recapped and new tweeters.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 32
Vinyl is not for the faint of heart.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 32
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this! Just an observation...but I find it really funny how people are getting back into LPs and buying tons of the newly produced vinyl which is pressed from the digital master. I completely understand why people are just about religious for vinyl, but for some reason I guess I just prefer the clean sound of cd and only having to sell my non-essential organs instead of everything. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 32
I am also a relic from the age of vinyl, but when CDs came out that was the end of it for me (burn in Hell or no).

Though I can understand the "purism" of vintage vinyl (originally mastered and released that way... and preserved), I'm skeptical about purchasing new vinyl that's been mastered digitally... seems like snake oil to me.

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 32
X2, Spareribs. The biggest joy of vinyl for me is discovering music that isn't on CD. There's a lot of it. I love hunting down cheap discs for new experiences. A good turntable with clean vinyl can sound very good, but I'm aware of the shortcomings. Still, it can sound wonderful and it gives me access to a lot of music I would have never heard otherwise. This makes it worthwhile.

I slightly disagree about used CDs, though. One swapmeet I frequent often has used CDs for $1-$3 and you can usually swing deals if you're buying several. For better or worse, piracy has pushed the value of used CDs down to almost nothing. I don't pirate, but I'm not going to shy away from good deals on used CDs. In a few more years, I would not be surprised to see used CDs priced as low as a lot of used vinyl. I'll be buying both. :)

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 32
I'm from the generation that didn't grow up with vinyl (I'm 22) but I love vinyl, even more than my old man. I have Bill Evan's "Waltz for Debby" in FLAC and on vinyl but I have to say, the vinyl sounds better than its digital counterpart. Sound stage is wider and the position of the individual instruments are more apparent. My vinyl set up is by no means high end but I still enjoy it more than my digital setup you see in my sig. I'm using a Denon DP-23 with Kenwood's Model Basic preamp and power amp. This set up sounds OK except the power amp has a crazy annoying buzz at higher volumes. 

While digital will always be more convenient, vinyl will always have a place in my heart as I enjoy the music the most when I'm listening to records. I hope vinyl never goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back