I tried the Monster beats by Dre headphone at BB.
Aug 3, 2008 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
349.00.. Good isolation. Bass heavy, but not really loose or flabby.. Was nice.. Only listened for a few minutes so I can't remember a whole lot. I wouldn't get a pair until they come down to 150-200.. Even then, you will have better choices.. But they are far from sucky IMO..

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 4
That's interesting to hear. I was expecting them to be pitiful..
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 4
tried it too at BB this afternoon. was just cruising the aisles when i saw the demo stand. listened to it for a few minutes. the booth has 3 buttons you can choose which kind of music to listen to: r&b, hip-hop and rock. it even has a 3.5mm jack so you can compare other headphones/earphones. sadly i wasn't packing my portable gear that time so i can't compare it to my tf10s
tongue.gif

isolation is quite good, since the padding is thick and circum-aural. i can faintly hear the music blaring from the background, and there were many people in the store. the booth plays only 1 song per genre so you can't really assess the range this headphone can deliver. bass is good, but not that deep. the presentation is too forward for my taste though. and i think the mids and highs are somewhat colored.

as for the design/style of the headphone, i leave it all up to you guys
atsmile.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 4
I listened to these for about 20mins at the apple store today. I just used my iPhone. I was listening to Dr. Dre albums and I have to say the isolation and comfort is pretty good. The isolation is just as good as the QC3 but these are more comfortable because I don't feel like my brain is being sucked. The sound quality isn't too bad, but I felt that the bass was actually a bit weaker than I expected. The highs and mids were pronounced and vocals were clear. It has good clarity but just on par with my Grado SR60. These are easily driven, I only had the iPhone volume at 60% and it was a pretty good listening volume. One thing about these is that once they are unplugged, there is a lot of static that goes to the headphones. There is also slight hissing when no music is being played, probably due to the noise canceling feature or apple's setup. These are definitely better than the competing QC3. They look very well built and the quality of materials feels and looks good. Although these aren't bad, they don't sound as well as other $350 audiophile headphones such as my D2000. I would say these should be around $150-200 to be considered a good buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back