I totally hate itunes is there an alernative?
Dec 3, 2006 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

polvodediamante

100+ Head-Fier
wink.gif
Alright, I just the 5th gen. 80GB ipod video and it's aight except that itunes seems to be a pain in the neck! Does it take a while to learn it? Does it become good once you learn the program or does it suck no matter how good you are at it? I mean, Windows media player is a 100 times better program that itunes for me but I want to put my music in AIFF or WAV (since it's the best apple seems to have) and windows media player doesn't seem to do that.

Is there a better program that I can get that handles the ipod's picky nature?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I want to put my music in AIFF or WAV (since it's the best apple seems to have)

Why not use ALAC?

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you just want to transfer music, try out yamipod.

If you want to play music on your compy, use foobar.

QFT - I agree 100%, I really like YamiPod - other than it takes a while to populate the database, but not really a biggy.

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 54
Use the newest Winamp. Native Ipod support. Auto-sync(if that's your thing), smart playlist capabilities. It's iPod support has come a VERY long way.

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 54
If you bothered to clarify your gripes with iTunes in a waiy beyond "it sucks" you would be sure to receive some helpful replies. It actually is quite simple and elegant, although there apparently are some performace issues with the Windows version.
Also, Apple Lossless would be a more ressource efficient way of storing your music, unless you really have to have it in AIFF for some reason. Unlike WAV, AIFF supports tags.

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 54
I'm not a fan of iTunes myself, it is an alright program but it's way too resource intensive on Windows, and browsing a large library of songs is... painful to say the least. I myself use Winamp with my Nano 2G, and it works great. You can't put album art over however, although that's not a huge deal for me at least as it's usually in my pocket. Luckily gapless playback works excellently, and that's the most important feature of the new iPods for me.

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you bothered to clarify your gripes with iTunes in a waiy beyond "it sucks" you would be sure to receive some helpful replies. It actually is quite simple and elegant, although there apparently are some performace issues with the Windows version.
Also, Apple Lossless would be a more ressource efficient way of storing your music, unless you really have to have it in AIFF for some reason. Unlike WAV, AIFF supports tags.

Yeah I guess you are right in that respect but since I just started using it I'm having all sorts of problems with it. Does Apple Lossles support tags? If so I think I'll use that.

I think I'm gonna start using Foobar since most people here seem to like it.

Thanks everybody!

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I guess you are right in that respect but since I just started using it I'm having all sorts of problems with it. Does Apple Lossles support tags? If so I think I'll use that.

I think I'm gonna start using Foobar since most people here seem to like it.

Thanks everybody!

Yes it does support tags, and I believe that there was an iPod plugin for Foobar. I do agree that the Windows version of iTunes is very resource intensive, although it's pretty easy to use and I much prefer it to Windows Media Player.

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 54
In order of simplest to most difficult:

Sharepod - run it from your iPod and copy songs to and from the iPod. You can also edit mp3 tags, mass rename, etc.
(http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?...&Page=SharePod,

Anapod Explorer - you need to buy it, but it is fully featured without the iTunes shenanigans. It also allows you to copy tracks off the iPod. You can also edit mp3 tags, mass rename, etc., nicer than Sharepod. (http://www.redchairsoftware.com)

iTunes - I use it most of the time, ever since I figured out that I can drag tracks directly to the iPod instead into the library (and synchronizing afterwards). This allows me to keep my mp3 files separate and in folders instead of letting iTunes mess with them. I keep nothing in the iTunes library and don't use their music store.
(http://www.snapple.com)

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 54
An alternate method is to ditch the whole iPod firmware and run Rockbox.

All the other apps are just used to build the database that the iPod firmware can recognise and play.

But if you change to Rockbox you can just plug your iPod on, and drag and drop the music on and off. It will be stored in exactly the same way you have it on your computer, in a file tree. You just drag and drop the file tree on.

www.rockbox.org

h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back