I took a little test at Ray Samuels' place yesterday. I passed...but...
Mar 9, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not able to comment on this, if Ray sees this threads, perhaps he can.

But since it was just a simple toggle switch between headphone output, I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck that could be.

even if it was a bottleneck, I can't be sure how much of one it would be, but considering the relative simplicity and 'purity' of an RCA-RCA switch... all I guess I'm saying is that there is more chance for error given the necessarily more complex setup of a headphone output switch box relative to an RCA IC relay. RAY, WHERE ARE YOU? I'M SO CURIOUS!!!

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

The point Ray made to me is that it is possible to design a portable amp that sounds like, and as good as, expensive home amps.

He's right. I sold the Aria once I listened to all my headphones with the SMaIV.

Still, while it's possible to design a portable amp that sounds like and as good as some expensive home amps, I feel like there's plenty of room in the home amp department to make something significantly better than (and not just different from) a portable.

I do now see the brilliance of making the comparison between the Tom and the Aria... because they have such similar characteristics it would make it easier to pick up on differences in quality. I'm actually impressed by this test after all.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's right. I sold the Aria once I listened to all my headphones with the SMaIV.

I can see how you'd do that, SMIV is awesome; that said, I could easily hear differences b/w my KICAS fully discrete setup and the SR-71, which is why I sold my RSA amps...

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #21 of 65
Just got my TH in yesterday and the ipod has not arrive yet, sigh.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's really surprising is the fact that the Tomhawk was hard to tell from the AudioValve.. intriguing.

Indeed. I was SURE I would easily be able to tell the difference between the TH and a tube amp! But it was VERY tough - tougher than the Aria.

And what difference I could detect was not preference - just slight difference.

I think the key is, the Audiovalve, and his own high-end amps, are what he uses as references when he listens to his smaller amp designs, and so he works to get them to sound as close to those amps as possible. He told me stories about agonizing about part selection, breaking in parts for 400 hours only to decide not to use them, etc., and I believe him. That an amp as small at the Tomahawk can sound that good is amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how much the Meridian has to do with it? Would the outcome have been the same from a DAP or a lower level player?

I have to think that the excellent quality of the source would actually make differences EASIER to detect - one would think that if the source were colored, that source would actually dominate the sound of both amps. Although if the source were colored in a way that was empathic with one of the amps, that might make the differences more apparent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did he say anyhing about the hornet's being on hold till july?

i reeaallly want a hornet.

Yep, as of right now, no Hornets until July. There is a key part that is unavailable anywhere in the world right now while the manufacturer converts to the EU's "ROHS" no-lead requirements. And as per the above, Ray doesn't just go substituting parts. To use his words to me yesterday, "then it isn't a Hornet".

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #25 of 65
Very cool indeed!! Synnergy is a very difficult thing to nail down. The total sum of piece parts in an amp is no indication of how good it will sound, when mated to upstream source/DAC and downstream headphones.

I hope to spend some time with the TH, at the San Jose meet. I want to listen to it with the q-jays prototype, and PK1. I have been hard on some of Ray's amps in the past... BUT this time I want to demo the tomahawk on one of RAY's sources.

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 65
I took the same little test you took Skylab..we all have..lol

I have an a/b box here with me now and to be honest you should really compare the TH with the hr2/xp7/b52/etc..
This way the th might make the big bad b52 not look so big and bad, in fact the TH can make the b52 look stupid pending on the cans/iems your using.

my point of this is..

is that any little amp can make a bigger more expensive amp look bad on a a/b box..esp if you don't know the other amp in the line..
its all part of perspective..

come over some time and we can do a HD25 comparing to a lunch box or comparing to the b52..
you'll notice differences but you'll always end up liking the smaller cause of the "surprise" effect.

I have sat for hours comparing the TH vs this or that amp..its fun really.

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 65
My experience is that differences are not always obvious and that it takes extended listening for the brain to really settle on what the most natural and pleasing sound is. I have noted that on listening for say an hour or so or shorter that the sound difference may be less noticed than when something is used for a few days or a week and then you switch. To me, the difference is often much more obvious, if there is one.

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

I have to think that the excellent quality of the source would actually make differences EASIER to detect - one would think that if the source were colored, that source would actually dominate the sound of both amps. Although if the source were colored in a way that was empathic with one of the amps, that might make the differences more apparent.

I think you are probably right on all counts. I think my biggest concern was line level output power...a DAP is going to say half of a good source, so that could affect how well the tomahawk can scale up. I have a tomahawk, btw. I love it
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience is that differences are not always obvious and that it takes extended listening for the brain to really settle on what the most natural and pleasing sound is. I have noted that on listening for say an hour or so or shorter that the sound difference may be less noticed than when something is used for a few days or a week and then you switch. To me, the difference is often much more obvious, if there is one.

I don't disagree with this at all. I probably would have noticed more differences if I had had a LONG time to switch back and forth (like hours), and if I had been listening via headphones that I was more familiar with (I don't actually like HD600's). But nonetheless - it was interesting!

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #30 of 65
I agree that using headphones your are familiar with and like would seem very important. It is nice to see that small portables have come so far. There is no reason they will not continue to climb the audio mountain of bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back