I think this would a good idea
Feb 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wali

1000+ Head-Fier
I think people need to list the sort of music they listen to most frequently in their signature. I say that because every time one asserts that, "x headphone sounded better to me than y headphone." People should have an idea as to 'based on what sort of music'.

In case that is inconvenient then they should follow the sentence x headphone is better than y headphone by adding, "based on what i listen to: a. b. c. songs."

For example lets say I'm a lady Gaga fan and I claim that Dr Dre beats are better than HD600. I don't think I'll get flamed or taken seriously if people knew what i listen to.

thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 15
I do see your point, but when anyone lists the HD 600 in their sig, or something better, they don't have to list their musical tastes because those cans play them all just great.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 15
The more information the better in any review, comparison or recommendation. There are way too many posts just saying a bit of kit and thats it.

My musical taste is made clear in my user name anyway.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 15
Usually reviews will include the songs used and/or genres preferred. Usually when someone asks for a recommendation they'll either list their preferred genres or someone will ask them to. Usually when someone recommends a Grado or a Sennheiser they note which genres the recommendation will excel at.

You might get flamed, but for other reasons
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 15
I was just pointing at some of the general posts where people quite often say this headphone is better than that and so on, especially when it comes high-end ones. not only these posts can create flaming but also they don't give any useful information when the music is not mentioned.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 15
I agree, people forget how important musical tastes affect preferences. My problem is I always listen to quite a big variety of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 15
If everyone filled out their profile this really wouldn't be an issue. Unless of course the poster is making a statement about one headphone sounding better than another based on one particular track.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 15
Well, you could be a pioneer and lead by example. You first sir. Not a bad idea, but most people will gladly answer their music likes if you ask them if you feel their review is worth the time to ask.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, people forget how important musical tastes affect preferences. My problem is I always listen to quite a big variety of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Same here.

On top of this, everyone has different hearing ability. I am not saying that I am such person. It's quite the opposite. I've been submarine for a while that somewhat damaged my hearing.

Some people can hear a very deep low frequency whereas I can't, etc, etc.

In any rate, it's a good idea though. I personally listen to 80% jazz and 20% everything else.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I'd like to motion that "Monster Beats" be a banned word here on head-fi.

agreed, and i already list my music preference in my profile and agree with your idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back