I think someone is trying to scam me, advice please...
Jun 21, 2004 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Dweebgal

500+ Head-Fier
I don't think it is anything to do with head-fi, it is certainly not a member here.

There are just certain things I can see from the e-mails I have got which set alarm bells ringing, and as I have been burnt before, I certianly don't want to be again, inspired by the p-p-p-p-powerbook, I want to call this scammer out.

Any advice on how to do this?

Jun 22, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dweebgal
I don't think it is anything to do with head-fi, it is certainly not a member here.

There are just certain things I can see from the e-mails I have got which set alarm bells ringing, and as I have been burnt before, I certianly don't want to be again, inspired by the p-p-p-p-powerbook, I want to call this scammer out.

Any advice on how to do this?

Dweebgal, we'd have to hear the story and read the emails to make a call, I think..What happened?

Jun 22, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 28
funny i found one of those nigerian scammer emails myself.

but i deleted since it was in my junk box

all i tried was to spam this guy back for spamming by signing up both his emails for spam but i couldn't find any sites dedicated to sending billions of spam emails to an e-mail.

where's the spam when you need it
frown.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 28
i have been messing with this guy for the past two weeks, he thinks im someone else and he wants me to open a account with some brent bank and he will transfer funds or something like that.....

wow just open a email and you can be a millionaire to...lol

i cant believe people fall for this stuff, I mean why would someone believe this crap?

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 28
funny, I think I'm dealing with a messy guy too, so I might as well hijack this thread.

So, I was gonna buy something off ebay, and the seller, who didn't have any feedbak, said in his info, that one could 'buy it now' (the item) by sending him an email. I asked for feedback, and he pointed me to another username, which had all positive. So i did and he wanted to do the deal "without" ebay. So I send him the money through paypal, which was yesterday or sunday, don't quite remeber. Now, he has closed both of the usernames I know of, and he hasen't send me mail, telling me the item has been shipped, nor has he answeard the last mail I send him. I might be a bit paranoid. I'll wait and see if the item shows up, and/or he answear my mail. If I haven't recived the item within 25 days I'll cancel the payment.
Which would be better, to do it through Paypal or contacting VISA. I paied with a VISA debit card.

Advice is appreciated.
-Rasmus

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 28
well there's not much you can do if you paid by bank wire/cash/money order. but if you paid by visa perhaps you could get some back...

the only thing which you can do to avoid this kind of thing is to view feedback or go on the advice of others you trust... and use your brain. if someone promises to make you rich or to sell you something expensive for cheap generally if it sounds too good to be true it unfortunately normally is.

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
funny, I think I'm dealing with a messy guy too, so I might as well hijack this thread.

So, I was gonna buy something off ebay, and the seller, who didn't have any feedbak, said in his info, that one could 'buy it now' (the item) by sending him an email. I asked for feedback, and he pointed me to another username, which had all positive. So i did and he wanted to do the deal "without" ebay. So I send him the money through paypal, which was yesterday or sunday, don't quite remeber. Now, he has closed both of the usernames I know of, and he hasen't send me mail, telling me the item has been shipped, nor has he answeard the last mail I send him. I might be a bit paranoid. I'll wait and see if the item shows up, and/or he answear my mail. If I haven't recived the item within 25 days I'll cancel the payment.
Which would be better, to do it through Paypal or contacting VISA. I paied with a VISA debit card.

Advice is appreciated.
-Rasmus

Rasmus, follow my advice carefully!! Call Visa directly and just cancel the payment. Don't ask Paypal to do it, they'll just mess around. No need to wait any more, either, as I personally guarantee you will receive NOTHING (INGENTING!!
wink.gif
) Simply call Visa and cancel the payment, telling them you just found out it was fraud. Then send an email to Paypal telling them the whole story and why you just cancelled the payment. Give them the guy's usernames and attach his email details including headers for them. Keep in mind that ebay and Paypal are now the one of the same, since ebay bought Paypal a while back..
wink.gif

You just got lured into one of the oldest scams on ebay. Oh, and if your package turned up (and that will be the first one worldwide..
icon10.gif
) you can just Paypal him again...
wink.gif

I've used ebay since 1999 and have conducted well over 500 transactions on there, at least 50% of the time as a seller. Trust me on this one and call Visa right away.

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox
well there's not much you can do if you paid by bank wire/cash/money order. but if you paid by visa perhaps you could get some back...

...if you have a Visa card you can cancel the entire payment within 30 days. The seller must them PROVE that he has:

1. Sent the goods.

2. That you have received the goods (signed for them)

If he cannot do either of the above your payment cancellation will be upheld. If he can prove both the above then you shouldn't be cancelling the payment in the first place..
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Dweebgal, we'd have to hear the story and read the emails to make a call, I think..What happened?

the things that tipped me off were, this person want to trade, but it took me another couple of e-mails for him to actually tell me what he had to trade. Which surpirse, surprise, are all high value, desirable goods, also worth much more than what I have to offer.

The next thing that made me think was, i asked this person if they had any kids of feedback anywhere (a reasonable question i think i would ask anyone) and they have conveniantly not answered that question.

Jun 22, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Rasmus, follow my advice carefully!! Call Visa directly and just cancel the payment. Don't ask Paypal to do it, they'll just mess around. No need to wait any more, either, as I personally guarantee you will receive NOTHING (INGENTING!!
wink.gif
) Simply call Visa and cancel the payment, telling them you just found out it was fraud. Then send an email to Paypal telling them the whole story and why you just cancelled the payment. Give them the guy's usernames and attach his email details including headers for them. Keep in mind that ebay and Paypal are now the one of the same, since ebay bought Paypal a while back..
wink.gif

You just got lured into one of the oldest scams on ebay. Oh, and if your package turned up (and that will be the first one worldwide..
icon10.gif
) you can just Paypal him again...
wink.gif

I've used ebay since 1999 and have conducted well over 500 transactions on there, at least 50% of the time as a seller. Trust me on this one and call Visa right away.

Mr iPod,
Do you know if VISA provide this service to Eurp-customers. I also have a debit card, not a credit card, so could they stop the transaction.
Should I give the guy some days to responce? I mean, he had like 38 positive and no negative feedback on the ebay-username he told me about, and I belive it was the same user (the accounts was *name*hiking and *name*montana.) I just seem utterly strange he would close both usernames ... especially since one of them had relatively many positive feedback.
Should I write him, and tell that I find him to be to big a weirdo 'cause he has closed the ebay-user. It wasn't like a "too-good" deal, it was like 15 less than (american) retail (incl shipping to DK.)

Would I be better off canceling the money instatly or wait a bit, and see how it goes? I'm pretty new to the ebay thing, I've only done like 7 or 8 deals all together (And gotten feddback for the 5 of them
frown.gif
)

edit:
Dweebgal, sorry for messing with your thread.

Jun 22, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dweebgal
the things that tipped me off were, this person want to trade, but it took me another couple of e-mails for him to actually tell me what he had to trade. Which surpirse, surprise, are all high value, desirable goods, also worth much more than what I have to offer.

The next thing that made me think was, i asked this person if they had any kids of feedback anywhere (a reasonable question i think i would ask anyone) and they have conveniantly not answered that question.

Send him an O-o-o-orpheus!
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Mr iPod,
Do you know if VISA provide this service to Eurp-customers. I also have a debit card, not a credit card, so could they stop the transaction.
Should I give the guy some days to responce? I mean, he had like 38 positive and no negative feedback on the ebay-username he told me about, and I belive it was the same user (the accounts was *name*hiking and *name*montana.) I just seem utterly strange he would close both usernames ... especially since one of them had relatively many positive feedback.
Should I write him, and tell that I find him to be to big a weirdo 'cause he has closed the ebay-user. It wasn't like a "too-good" deal, it was like 15 less than (american) retail (incl shipping to DK.)

Would I be better off canceling the money instatly or wait a bit, and see how it goes? I'm pretty new to the ebay thing, I've only done like 7 or 8 deals all together (And gotten feddback for the 5 of them
frown.gif
)

edit:

I'm not sure how Visa will resolve this being that you have used your debit card. I would try to contact both Visa and your bank to try and stop payment immediately. I wouldn't wait several days, I'd do it today. The buyer may have 38 all positive feedback, but now days with everyone running a Ebay scam 38 positive feedback doesn't mean much. The canceling of both Ebay accounts and no response to your email is a big tip off that something fishy is going on. Also having multiple Ebay accounts registered under the same name is against Ebay rules and would sure to draw a lifetime ban for the seller from ever using Ebay again. Unless the seller responds soon, your dealing seems to have the word scammed written all over it.

Jun 23, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 28
Dweebgal, your situation sounds fishy. But, you are being rather vague. Is the person willing to send what they have for trade BEFORE you send them your stuff?

pank2002, call your Visa debit card bank NOW. Don't wait. Don't rely on Paypal or eBay, especially since eBay specifically states not to do business outside of eBay the way you did. You are NOT going to receive the goods you paid for. I hope you didn't spend much money.

Jun 23, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Mr iPod,

frown.gif
)

edit:

I had the same exact thing happen to me last year. Used a debt card via PayPal to pay for an Ebay auction. The seller was selling a highly desireable item. I won the auction sent the money and low and behold now item arrived. Went back and forth with the seller. He finally quit answering my emails. Due to the fact that I used a debt card, I was forced to work back through PayPal. It took two months to get my money back, but the process via PayPal was very easy.

Good luck in getting your money back!

Jun 23, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Mr iPod,

frown.gif
)

edit:

Rasmus, yes they do provide this service to Euro customers. I'm one myself. No, do not wait, do not contact the seller any further. Just call the Visa customer service and cancel the payment asap.

Duncan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back