I think my journey came to an end
Sep 19, 2007 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Petyot

100+ Head-Fier
My personal journey in this wonderful world of headphones and audio gear started exactly when I registered on this forum back in april 2007. Before that I was the proud owner of a SanDisk (256 Mo) and a pair of "Air Transat" headphone... (yes, you read it right... Air Transat headphone!).

But then the real fun started...

Here is a complete list of what I have bought (and sold) in the last 6 months (in chronological order) :
  • Grado SR60
  • Xenos 1HA-EPC
  • Trends TA 10.1
  • Grado SR225 (sold)
  • Little Dot II++ (sold)
  • Musiland MD10 (sold)
  • Shure E500
  • Sennheiser HD600 (sold)
  • Beyerdynamic DT990 (sold)
  • Outlaw RCA cables
  • CEC DA53 dac
  • Canares XLR cables
  • Stax SRS-4040 (almost sold)
  • CEC CD3300R (coming)
  • Stax Omega II system (coming)
  • AES/EBU cable
Since I reached the upper limit in my budget for headphones with the Omega II (no HE60 or HE90 for me
frown.gif
) I think that my journey or my quest for headphones will stop here...

My next move will be for my home rig : new speakers (I have some vintage speaker since a long time), another Trends (for bi-amplification) and a preamp (for a remote...).

Thanks for reading.

Pierre

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impressive progression. How have you enjoyed each step?

Some steps were just small mistakes. Take the DT990 and the SR225 for example. I didn't like the DT990 at all and I found that the SR225 were not sufficiently different from the SR60 to keep them (and I am still not sure that I like the Grado sound).

The Sennheiser HD600 were a big discovery and a very enjoyable step. I really did like that sound but since I had to keep my budget under a certain limit they had to go.

Some other steps were very enlightning. I had the chance to listen to some Stax systems (SRS-2050 and SRS-3030) at a dealer near my house and I knew immediately that that was the sound I was looking for!

Then I started to read every single thread speaking of Stax and sure enough, I suddenly found myself looking on Audiogon, eBay or here for a Omega II system...

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 29
Are you sure that's the end of your journey ?
600smile.gif
I think the end of one's journey is if he stops reading reviews and impressions on head-fi and just enjoy his music.... Temptation is always there and these threads are not helping
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's some progress. Were most equipment auditioned at your local hi-fi shop, or based on impressions?

The only headphone that I was able to hear were the Stax... The rest was bought on impressions.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure that's the end of your journey ?
600smile.gif
I think the end of one's journey is if he stops reading reviews and impressions on head-fi and just enjoy his music.... Temptation is always there and these threads are not helping
very_evil_smiley.gif

That is exactly what I intend to do when I get my APureSound cable for the Ety's and hiflight's chipset for the D1. However if you are really into the gear I don't think there will ever be an end. Even with my L3000's which are fantastic by any count I find that for this or the other specific piece of music this or the other headphone (at all sorts of prices) just happen to do something better. The latest example of this is the Koss A250 that I bought from antonyfirst. It is a crap phone for build but on some tracks it just beats the hell out of everything else I have heard. The problem is that you start listening to the gear and just use the music to find strengths/weaknesses in the gear instead of enjoying the music as music and that trap I don't want to end up in.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 29
Congratulations on finally getting to the good stuff...
evil_smiley.gif

The SR-007 will serve you well for a long, long time and if you ever find the need to upgrade, get a better amp or source. I would also look into some good silver IC's but that can wait until you get to know the system.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 29
lol I went to Stax too. I also went way under the Omega II budget with my SR-Lambdas but hey! I am a student and for about $700 I got a bitching system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back