I think my ears changed
Jan 8, 2006 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sum

100+ Head-Fier
So in the last couple of days my RS2s sound very tinny. They are just insanely bright. I have a feeling that a lot of low level listening through my Aria and 650s have increased the sensitivity of my ears. Has anyone else had a similar experience? It's making me miss my RS-2s! Even acoustic guitar doesn't sound right through them all of a sudden. Argh, I think it might be time to buy them a tube amp!

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 11
I have been enjoying my HD-650 most of the time and I realised that I cannot bear listening to the MS-2 and, to a lesser degree, the SR-80 for more than a few minutes (the highs just strike me as wrong and piercing). Quite strange considering I was able to 'withstand' listening to the Grado for up to 30 minutes the previous year when I got them.

Furthermore, the fact that my ears are always left ringing after listening to the Grado should be taken as a health warning that I would be better off staying with the Sennheiser (which is my preferred phones anyway).

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Your ears might need a break, and you might also be listening really loudly - I know when I compare or switch between headphones sometimes, I end up cranking the volume more than I should. Also, if I'm listening too much (or at too high a volume) some days everything just sounds bright, other days, things sound dark, and other days things sound thin.

Also, they are quite different than the other headphones you mention, sometimes Senns sound crazy dark and dull to me if I've been cranking the Grados for a while, and the Grados can definitely sound bright if you've been listening to something else.

It also depends on the music, of course.

I apologize if I'm just stating the obvious - but if you've been switching volume, or what you're listening to (or both), or just listening a lot and your ears need a break, lots of wild effects can creep in.

BTW, I've got my RS-1s turned down to a nice moderate level and have been digging on them for the past 30 minutes or so, even though they are known to be perhaps a bit bright as well
eggosmile.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 11
Same thing happens to me. Some days I prefer the Grado sound, some days I prefer the Sennheiser sound. This is coming out of the same amp & source. I can't explain it, but that's how it is for me. Give the RS-2 a few days and then listen again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 11
It has a lot to do with listening to different sets of cans. I also have the same problem, but when I hear the same set for a few days straight, they usually come back home to their wonderful abilities!
rs1smile.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Yep, it's the other half of burn-in. Burning-in your brain, to accomodate certain sonic signature.

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to order the flat pads asap. You guys are definitely right in terms of switching between cans. If I start with the 650's my ears just get too acclimated to the dark character. I'm definitely not playing them too loud though. I was at 3 on my mini-DAC or not past 9 when using my Aria. Both of those settings are very quiet.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 11
This happened to me to after listening for days with EX51's, I changed back to MD-33's and it kinda hurt my ears. The hi-hat was so birght because I haven't been used to that with the EX51.

Also, if you use OEM's and change to earbuds for a while (example: Sony E888 or 818, etc), your ear might get stretched out and might need a different size of tips.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 11
go Giants!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back