I think k1000 is the truely hiend sonic performance for grand system.
Aug 20, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #16 of 30
i still believe a set of less than optimally placed/room treated sweet spot speakers is still a better experience than what the k1k can achieve. i'm not saying they are bad headphones, i just don't like that it tries to not be what it is, a headphone and it gets in the way of its performance.

windows guy, that's like saying tiger woods is only good at golf because he has the best equipment and conditions... it's just a bunch of excuses.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #17 of 30
And your excuse is like everyone can be superman... If I ware a red underware, I can fly and have x-ray eyes.

I wonder if Travis will sing better at performance with $20 microphone compared to someone among the averages with $500 Shure microphone...

P.S. k1000 is "earspeaker" not "headphone".

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i still believe a set of less than optimally placed/room treated sweet spot speakers is still a better experience than what the k1k can achieve. i'm not saying they are bad headphones, i just don't like that it tries to not be what it is, a headphone and it gets in the way of its performance.

It tries to be exactly what it is. You try getting an optimal sound experience out of a speaker rig at 2:30 am in an apartment, or if your kids are asleep. Sure, there is sound leakage from K-1000, but not enough to penetrate walls. They don't need to put out as much sound because they are close to the ear, and the inverse square law works.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 30
Headphones serve a different purpose than speakers do, so there's no sense in comparing that.

I think the K-1000 can beat any headphone out there. Technically, the HE-90 is the best headphone I've ever heard in some respects when in the absolute best, tailored to its needs, set up... but the K-1000 held my interest more. The R10 has a lushness that seems more colored to me than the K-1000.

So, I still think for my tastes the K-1000 can beat all headphones and be more accurate than most speakers considering their design in a perfect room (which hardly exists). The bass extension issue is balanced by the fact that it has the most accurate bass I've heard.

I really don't know how AKG could top the K-1000.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 30
They can, just make it prettier, more polished cables and get more $$$ price increase

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #23 of 30
Except wearing and look issues, I think anyone can like k1000 if the system is right to listener's preferred signature.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by toom93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no amp. 555

So go buy one!
wink_face.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K1000 unamped.

that must be interesting.

Yeah, that would be interesting!
The K1000 are hard to drive to begin with, so can't imagine how it will sound straight from line level (source out)...

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #28 of 30
I think 90% sound quality you get out of the K1000 is mostly determined how you position and adjust them. Put them too far forward or too far back make them sound absolutely horrible. Flapping them all the way out makes them significantly less dynamic. This is of course, my opinion.

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think 90% sound quality you get out of the K1000 is mostly determined how you position and adjust them. Put them too far forward or too far back make them sound absolutely horrible. Flapping them all the way out makes them significantly less dynamic. This is of course, my opinion.

I think every K1000 owners fully understands that. It's also true the "optimal' position will change depending on your amp and setup, as well as type of music and how loud you play.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Driver itself is pretty colorless and can be tuned by the system. At first, I wouldn't consider k1000 as grand compared to other highend phones like L3000, w2002, R10 since the rest can produce sound quality at nearly or even better than k1000 from lower system.

However, things changed and I have to change my mind again when I changed my preamp from stello hp100 (which I thought it was already good enough) to my modified grace m902 (costing over $1k for hiend components) which can rival to $3k preamp and dac, my k1000 acted absolutely different and I could say that common scale full-size cans couldn't hold such cradle against this evil beast. The sound quality is some what resembles $3k avalon speakers (well not that close maybe around %80 for sound quality).

I wonder if there is anyone tried such headphone with very highend system like $10k or more.

They are the best
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back