I think its time for my first amp
Jun 21, 2007 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ice Max

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Now that I'm getting a steady paycheck again, its time to finally get an amp. Right now, i use an X-fi Xtreme Music soundcard and HD55's (sometimes i also steal my brothers K501s too
evil_smiley.gif
). Im looking for an amp for around 200 bucks, and was thinking maybe a tube amp, specifically, the LD MKIII. Are there any other options in this price range?

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Home or portable?

For a portable amp under $200, the SuperMicro IV is really good. I haven't heard it, but I am getting one. People around here love it.

For home amps, I heard that the Gilmore Lite is perfect for sennheisers.
tongue.gif

Best of luck!

I don't know anything about tube amps, sorry.

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 4
OP uses his computer as a source, main cans are Senn HD555's, and is looking at a large(r) static tube amp. I think the man is going with a home based rig.
wink.gif

Ice Max: If you'd like you can do a quick search (keyword "$200") and see what comes up, but I think you're on the right track. LittleDot's tube offerings are great starter amps and they should mate pretty well with all your other gear.

Good luck!

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 4
yeah i dnot really have a portable player, and listen to music when im at my computer usually. so a home/desktop amp is what i'm lookin for. i also noticed that darkvoices are popular here too, is that in the same price range of the LD series?

also, are there any special things that have to be done to take care of a tube amp? anything that could damage it (besides heat)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back